Best Android Phone for MDE app?

Alicia Young

Original Poster
I am planning my first trip to Disney World, and would love to have this app on my phone. Only problem is that the current android phone I have is not compatible with the app. I am looking at buying another month to month pay as you go android phone, but would like one that I can use on my trip. Any suggestions?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You are going to be somewhat limited by your carriers selection, but any of the HTC Ones or Samsung Galaxy S4 and above will work well.

Alicia Young

Original Poster
I have NET10, but I'm willing to switch if I can find something. I found a Verizon prepaid phone- Moto G ....... does anyone know if it will work? My current phone doesn't have Android 4.0, so it looks like I need to upgrade lol.

lilclerk

This guy?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/3g-smartphone-plans/moto-g-by-motorola prepaid/

Yup, it should work =) Just make sure whatever you get has 4.0 or higher.

I'll tell you this -- we just got back from a 2 week trip and my friend's Verizon phone had great service just about everywhere, while my T-Mobile phone had to limp along on the free wifi unless we were out in an open area of a park (we actually both have Galaxy S3s, just different service providers.) I have no service troubles anywhere at home with T-Mobile though, and it's much cheaper for me.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
The Moto G will be fine. It only runs on VZWs 3G network but wifi is everywhere in WDW. Moto G is basically a prepaid version of the Moto X that can be bought on contract. If you want a 4g phone there is the Motorola Luge for $199. Plan is still the same $45/month for Unlimited Talk and Text 500mb of data (with option to buy more data).

(I may or may not sell these things for a living :cautious:)

DizneyPryncess

I have the Motorola Moto X and the app worked perfectly with it! My husband has the Samsung Galaxy. He didn't have the app set up, I just had it. But he loves his phone too.

StarWarsGirl

I've got an HTC Desire 610 on AT&T go phone (also pay as you go). MDE works great on it. My mom has a Samsung galaxy Express, which has Android Jellybean, not Android KitKat on it. MDE also works well on it. I don't see either of these devices from Net10. You can get them unlocked from Amazon, but, at least for my HTC, I only paid $180 for it getting the Go Phone model while the unlocked model is about $320. I don't know what the Galaxies are currently running.

My only suggestion would be to try to go with the newest Android OS (KitKat) or at the very least the second newest (Jellybean). I also would not recommend getting a refurbished phone or an off brand device (get a Samsung, HTC, Moto, or another well-known brand). This is from experience...

MissM

I have a Galaxy S4 that I use with MetroPCS (now owned by T-Mobile) on an unlimited monthly plan rather than a contract plan. It's way cheaper and I get unlimited data. The MDE app works just fine for me on mobile data or wifi.

durangojim

The Moto G will be fine. It only runs on VZWs 3G network but wifi is everywhere in WDW. Moto G is basically a prepaid version of the Moto X that can be bought on contract. If you want a 4g phone there is the Motorola Luge for $199. Plan is still the same $45/month for Unlimited Talk and Text 500mb of data (with option to buy more data).

(I may or may not sell these things for a living :cautious:)
The new (2nd generation) Moro G has LTE and I believe it is less than $180

BroganMc

Just download Chrome and use the web app. It works much better, has more features and will remember your password. The Android app is too annoying and forgetful. I did that for my new 5.5" LG G3. Works great.

Oh and T-Mobile service crushed Disney's WiFi and my brothers Verizon the last few words. I get 10-30mbps down. There were only two deadzones for me: Columbia Harbor House and Paddocks region at Saratoga.

RScottyL

This guy?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/3g-smartphone-plans/moto-g-by-motorola prepaid/

Yup, it should work =) Just make sure whatever you get has 4.0 or higher.

I'll tell you this -- we just got back from a 2 week trip and my friend's Verizon phone had great service just about everywhere, while my T-Mobile phone had to limp along on the free wifi unless we were out in an open area of a park (we actually both have Galaxy S3s, just different service providers.) I have no service troubles anywhere at home with T-Mobile though, and it's much cheaper for me.

Same here!

I have T-Mobile and I also have a Galaxy S3!

Unfortunately, my coverage was very spotty at WDW with the T-Mobile service, and there are times I wish I had AT&T or Verizon.

Coverage is pretty good here in my city, but have little areas where it is not!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom