Bergstrom Furniture to become a Element by Westin Hotel - Planning Comm Report

BubbaQuest

And a blow to Disney and CM's, as this was rumored for CM parking.

That is a weird one. Disney just purchased the mobile home lot north of this, correct? Surprised Disney didn't fight for this lot too. If a hotel ends up there, I'm sure that will cause problems if Disney wants to add a multilevel parking structure later.

NobodyElse

Again, while not really passing judgement, do I think it's an incredibly exciting, dynamic, and enduring design? No. Do I think "it does look ugly and cheap" or "It looks like a warehouse"? No, not really. Do I think it'll end up looking nicer than and be better utilized than this?:
upload_2017-1-15_12-33-39.png

Yes.

(And it's going to make places like the "Arena Inn & Suites" stand out even more as anomalies that don't mesh with the area.)

Last edited:

NobodyElse

Another lot looks like it is headed to Hotel Development, this time just east of the I-5 at Anaheim

http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/questys_pub/8366/8396/8397/11629/11630/Staff Report11630.pdf

And the map...

http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/questys_pub/8366/8396/8397/11629/11632/2. Site Map11632.pdf

It'll be interesting to see if they can buy up that business park. A nice development there would certainly change the feel of that part of Anaheim Blvd. (I'm sure they would try to cater to attendees of volleyball tournaments across the street.)

That's outside the "Resort District", right?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Yes outside of the Resort Area.
Might get a lot of use if LA gets the Olympics in 2024. Anaheim/Honda Center will host Volleyball.

TP2000

It'll be interesting to see if they can buy up that business park. A nice development there would certainly change the feel of that part of Anaheim Blvd. (I'm sure they would try to cater to attendees of volleyball tournaments across the street.)

That's outside the "Resort District", right?

Yes, it is. I-5 forms the eastern boundary of the Resort District.
westcot1_propertboundaries.jpg

The hotel placement here may seem a bit odd, but right across the street is the massive American Sports Center complex where endless volleyball, basketball, gymnastics, etc. competitions and tournaments are held year round. The place is a monster, and kids and their parents come in from all over the West to attend events there. A hotel/retail complex there would be sold out nearly year round just based on American Sports Center business. The place can host a dozen games at one time!
ASC-Gym-Shot.jpg

Cerritos Street is a shortcut east to Villa Park, and I often get caught in American Sports Center traffic in the morning when I think I'm clever and take the shortcut to Disneyland.

That said, this neighborhood directly north of here is rather funky and downscale, with some greasy taco stands, a huge indoor swap meet building, some very scary looking liquor stores and "hookah lounges", and a decidedly dingy Hispanic supermarket and a used car lot filling in the space between this lot and Ball Road to the north. It's interesting to watch these types of Anaheim neighborhoods gentrify and change, but I'm not sure this is the type of change the local population thought would happen.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

Another lot looks like it is headed to Hotel Development, this time just east of the I-5 at Anaheim

http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/questys_pub/8366/8396/8397/11629/11630/Staff Report11630.pdf

And the map...

http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/questys_pub/8366/8396/8397/11629/11632/2. Site Map11632.pdf

By the way (for those that didn't read the referenced report) if Greenway gets what they want, it would end up being about 13 acres. That's a substantial chunk of land, and could support a pretty good resort/hotel. For comparison, the current Anaheim Plaza property and the Hilton Anaheim property come in at under 9 acres each. Let's hope for the best.

NobodyElse

Just for fun, from the long, long doc in the first post, here's an aerial photo showing the plot in question.
upload_2017-1-16_9-22-44.png

They actually have 10 of these from 1938 to present. So if you're interested in the progression of changes to this area, find your way down to page 550 and have at it.

Ismael Flores

It would be great if Disney was able to buy thebhuge piece of land east of the third gate property that is nestled against the freeway and I believe is a mobile park. They could easily add a parking structure and back of house property for when a third park is in serious development

TP2000

Just for fun, from the long, long doc in the first post, here's an aerial photo showing the plot in question.
View attachment 184658

They actually have 10 of these from 1938 to present. So if you're interested in the progression of changes to this area, find your way down to page 550 and have at it.

I wonder what that road was called? It obviously became Interstate 5 in the 1950's, but I wonder what that 2 lane highway was called back in 1938?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Quick update on the Element and Hampton Inn.

Element's concrete pad is poured, and ready to go verticle.

The Hampton Inn (former Arena Inn) has multiple walls up.

Across the street, the Cambria is coming along nicely, but has a large underground portion that has to get finished first.

But all three, along with the JW Marriott in the area will be a definite major improvement, and hopefully will have other nearby properties upgrade themselves.

DLR92

I would hardly call the Element hotel looking like an prison. Seem unnecessary. It could pass like a Healthcare institution. lol
But maybe the developer should have chosen a different color choice. Or also add faux stone panels to make a little more "nicer".

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Remember, the city of Anaheim has limited color options in the Anaheim Resort District for the outside of all new buildings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom