Beluga death at Sea World

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
That baby beluga will become domesticated just like your dog or cat and will be content with its habitat. What is so wrong with that? Don't your dogs and cats have a better life in captivity than in the wild?

Where are you getting the comparisons of an animal in the open ocean to something you bring into your house? Belugas can easily reject this oh so content habitat that you speak of.

matt78

Threads evolve, unlike certain companies.

SeaWorld has evolved plenty since it was first opened. They no longer hunt and capture wild whales and dolphins. Their animals are treated better then they have ever been. Their rescue teams are the first to arrive whenever a disaster happens. Just because they haven't evolved the way that you have wanted them too doesn't mean they haven't made changes for the better. You need to have a little more patience. The type of changes you are looking for won't happen overnight. The harder the animal rights people push SeaWorld the longer SeaWorld will resist future changes.

919Florida

SeaWorld has evolved plenty since it was first opened. They no longer hunt and capture wild whales and dolphins. Their animals are treated better then they have ever been. Their rescue teams are the first to arrive whenever a disaster happens. Just because they haven't evolved the way that you have wanted them too doesn't mean they haven't made changes for the better. You need to have a little more patience. The type of changes you are looking for won't happen overnight. The harder the animal rights people push SeaWorld the longer SeaWorld will resist future changes.

Well said my friend. Exactly what I was going to say.

BuzzKillington

This ought to please the radical activist.

Activists protest death of baby beluga at Georgia Aquarium

ATLANTA —

Activists led by Georgia Animal Rights and Protection held a protest outside the Georgia Aquarium in response to the death of a baby beluga whale on June 5.

The female beluga whale calf was born at the Georgia Aquarium on May 10.

According to Georgia Aquarium Chief Veterinary Officer Dr. Gregory Bossart, his team became concerned with the calf's slow weight gain.

Bossart says the calf had gastrointestinal issues that were preventing her from properly absorbing and assimilating nutrients that she needed to grow and thrive.

Georgia Aquarium's animal care experts attempted to help the calf gain weight by supplementing her caloric needs with formula.

The aquarium says the calf began showing signs of lethargy, and needed assistance to swim Friday morning.

The calf took her last breath in the arms of her caregivers next to her mother just after 7 a.m.

GARP says it wants to bring awareness to the "plight" of captive whales and dolphins.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This ought to please the radical activist.

Activists protest death of baby beluga at Georgia Aquarium

ATLANTA —

Activists led by Georgia Animal Rights and Protection held a protest outside the Georgia Aquarium in response to the death of a baby beluga whale on June 5.

The female beluga whale calf was born at the Georgia Aquarium on May 10.

According to Georgia Aquarium Chief Veterinary Officer Dr. Gregory Bossart, his team became concerned with the calf's slow weight gain.

Bossart says the calf had gastrointestinal issues that were preventing her from properly absorbing and assimilating nutrients that she needed to grow and thrive.

Georgia Aquarium's animal care experts attempted to help the calf gain weight by supplementing her caloric needs with formula.

The aquarium says the calf began showing signs of lethargy, and needed assistance to swim Friday morning.

The calf took her last breath in the arms of her caregivers next to her mother just after 7 a.m.

GARP says it wants to bring awareness to the "plight" of captive whales and dolphins.

Animals never die in the wild. This would have never happened had the whale been living elsewhere.

919Florida

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-accused-of-infiltrating-animal-rights-group

Those PETA 'activists' who incite violence while being surprisingly quickly released themselves? SEA employees. Spies and infiltrators deployed by the billion dollar corporation to discredit and sabotage those who raise concern about its practices.

Pathetic.

First of all I think someone should share SeaWorld's statement on the story. Since no one ever likes to see two sides to a story.

"The allegations made yesterday against a SeaWorld employee are very concerning. These allegations, if true, are not consistent with the values of the SeaWorld organization and will not be tolerated. The SeaWorld Board of Directors and I have initiated an investigation into this matter which will be led by independent outside counsel, Ron Olson of Munger, Tolles & Olson, whose firm will have full access to our organization and people. In addition, we have placed the employee in question on paid administrative leave pending the findings of the investigation. We will take all appropriate actions based on the results of the investigation to ensure that the integrity and values of the SeaWorld organization are upheld."

Secondly PETA has spies in companies all over the world and have a job opening on their website right now for that very position. While nothing has been proven yet if this is true or even if SeaWorld sent the guy there. I don't really see the big deal with this story. Its being blown out of proportion by activists and the media. But what's new that's all those people do. Blow stories up while SeaWorld is actually recusing animals. Which two baby manatees in Florida were rescued today all the while peta Is crying because someone used their own tactics on them. boo hoo

JPatton

SeaWorld must break from the past---reinvent itself---and become something new. With imagination, SeaWorld can exist without whales and dolphins in the parks. It can. And it must. It's not the 1970's anymore.
It's as though SeaWorld fears change and it wants the public to fear change. SeaWorld clings to the past even as the world around it is changing. Even as SeaWorld stock is crashing. Even as groups of protesters outside the gates (and online)---are growing.
Don't buy a ticket to a whale or dolphin show. Don't buy a ticket to SeaWorld.

matt78

I don't know why Peta and like minded people don't realize that the harder they push for change the more SeaWorld is going to resist that change. Nobody like to be forced into doing things against their will. Especially when it is done in a very public manner. I think change will happen but it's going to be a slow process & people need to be patient.

JPatton

I don't know why Peta and like minded people don't realize that the harder they push for change the more SeaWorld is going to resist that change. Nobody like to be forced into doing things against their will. Especially when it is done in a very public manner. I think change will happen but it's going to be a slow process & people need to be patient.
I understand what you're saying, Matt, but being nice and patient doesn't seem to work with SeaWorld. I think they would still be hauling orcas out of Washington state if the government hadn't forced them to stop.

It's 2015, already. Don't buy a ticket to a whale or dolphin show. Don't buy a ticket to SeaWorld.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I understand what you're saying, Matt, but being nice and patient doesn't seem to work with SeaWorld. I think they would still be hauling orcas out of Washington state if the government hadn't forced them to stop.

It's 2015, already. Don't buy a ticket to a whale or dolphin show. Don't buy a ticket to SeaWorld.
But definitely buy what you're selling? Well, I suppose it's a living. Of course, you wouldn't like it if someone trolled your Twitter feed....

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't get what "it being 2015 already" has to do with anything. The majority of Orcas on display now were born in captivity, and frankly one cannot ignore the Keiko experience. It's a rather one sided and silly arguement that ignores a LOT of what Sea World does today (and has historically done)

I suppose I could twist the statement to say, yeah, it's 2015. Stop pretending it's the 1960s and early 1970s when whale captures were the standard and care was not regulated (and note, Sea World exceeds not only legal requirements, but industry requirements for care and HOUSING of the animals under it's control).

But, have to keep that hashtag going, eh?

michmousefan

While I support SW's conservation efforts and animal rescues, the shows really are of a different age and need to go. I'd like to think that buying a ticket and then ignoring the shows, and riding rides would be a possibility, but I can't hope that action will be noticed on any significant scale by SW. So perhaps staying away until things change for the better (there is a slight hint of movement in that direction by the addition of the new coaster) is the right course of action to take.

matt78

You do realize that the people who were hauling orcas out of Washingtion state no longer have anything to do with SeaWorld right? Peta owns stock in SeaWorld. If they want to enact changes they should do try and do it behind the scenes instead of trying to publicly embarrass them. All that will do is make SeaWorld even more stubborn. My hope is that the Blue World project is a success and will give SeaWorld the confidence to do away with the stadiums and expand the tanks into that area. I also hope that they will eventually redo all of their animal habitats. I think this is they best that the animal rights people can expect.

Last edited:

matt78

While I support SW's conservation efforts and animal rescues, the shows really are of a different age and need to go. I'd like to think that buying a ticket and then ignoring the shows, and riding rides would be a possibility, but I can't hope that action will be noticed on any significant scale by SW. So perhaps staying away until things change for the better (there is a slight hint of movement in that direction by the addition of the new coaster) is the right course of action to take.

The problem with this thought process is that not buying tickets will directly affect SeaWorld's conservation efforts. Without profit from the parks they will have no way of paying for their rescues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom