Behind the scenes tours still available?

Minnie1986

Hey everyone!

Does WDW still offer behind the scenes tours? If so, does anyone have a recommendations? Which ones did you love? Which ones did you hate/wouldn’t do again?

Last edited:

Mireille

Premium Member
I just did the Keys to the Kingdom MK backstage tour and it's pretty extensive. It's ~5 hours and includes lunch (ours was at Pecos Bill's). You go into the Utilidors at the end and we got to go into HM from a side entrance and a special Jungle Cruise ride where the tour guide did all the talking about the attraction instead of the usual spiel from the skipper. I thought it was totally worth it. Behind the Seeds is also a really good value and an interesting tour.

In 2019, I did the "Undiscovered Future World" in Epcot and got to go into the former corporate suite in Spaceship Earth and it was a really fun tour, but they aren't doing the Epcot tours anymore... :( I was planning to do Undiscovered World Showcase the next time I went but they discontinued it (during the pandemic, I think?) and it hasn't come back... (Yet? *Fingers Crossed*)

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I just did the Keys to the Kingdom MK backstage tour and it's pretty extensive. It's ~5 hours and includes lunch (ours was at Pecos Bill's). You go into the Utilidors at the end and we got to go into HM from a side entrance and a special Jungle Cruise ride where the tour guide did all the talking about the attraction instead of the usual spiel from the skipper. I thought it was totally worth it. Behind the Seeds is also a really good value and an interesting tour.

In 2019, I did the "Undiscovered Future World" in Epcot and got to go into the former corporate suite in Spaceship Earth and it was a really fun tour, but they aren't doing the Epcot tours anymore... :( I was planning to do Undiscovered World Showcase the next time I went but they discontinued it (during the pandemic, I think?) and it hasn't come back... (Yet? *Fingers Crossed*)
Keys to the Kingdom is the one that I'd really like to do, but apparently, you have to be at least 16. Any idea as to why?

Upvote 0

Mireille

Premium Member
Keys to the Kingdom is the one that I'd really like to do, but apparently, you have to be at least 16. Any idea as to why?
The only reason I can think of is maybe because you go through the utilidors and there is some heavy machinery type stuff that you may come across, and possible liability for injuries? Plan Disney says it's to not disillusion or bore kids with a look behind the magic and discussions of the sanitation system and such. Pretty sure I'd have been fascinated by that sort of thing under the age of 16, but that was a long time ago and my memory of myself at that age may not be particularly accurate.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
The only reason I can think of is maybe because you go through the utilidors and there is some heavy machinery type stuff that you may come across, and possible liability for injuries? Plan Disney says it's to not disillusion or bore kids with a look behind the magic and discussions of the sanitation system and such. Pretty sure I'd have been fascinated by that sort of thing under the age of 16, but that was a long time ago and my memory of myself at that age may not be particularly accurate.
The girls coming with me will be 12 and 15, so I know they'd get a kick out of it. Darn.

Upvote 0

Colonel Angus

I did Keys to the Kingdom last year and didn't enjoy it too much. I learned a few things I didn't already know and it was neat going through the utilidoors, but much of the backstage access was kind of underwhelming and I felt like we were in the same area for most of the time (back by the parade float warehouses). The other odd part specific to my situation was that I was solo, everyone else was a party of 2 and no one wanted to chat at all (during the times the guide wasn't obviously). Everyone just kept to themselves which I found odd since the rest of my trip included good conversations with many people throughout the parks. They also sat me by myself at lunch which made things more difficult. YMMV.

Upvote 0

Mireille

Premium Member
I did Keys to the Kingdom last year and didn't enjoy it too much. I learned a few things I didn't already know and it was neat going through the utilidoors, but much of the backstage access was kind of underwhelming and I felt like we were in the same area for most of the time (back by the parade float warehouses). The other odd part specific to my situation was that I was solo, everyone else was a party of 2 and no one wanted to chat at all (during the times the guide wasn't obviously). Everyone just kept to themselves which I found odd since the rest of my trip included good conversations with many people throughout the parks. They also sat me by myself at lunch which made things more difficult. YMMV.
When I went, I was there alone and was seated with two other women for lunch that were also taking the tour alone and it was a nice conversation to pass the time. During the tour itself I didn't really try to talk with anyone because we were either listening or walking or both. Yeah, in the age of the internet, there's not much they can tell you that you can't find online, and probably most people that would pay for the tour are probably at least partly Disney Parks nerds, so most likely you won't learn a lot, but I found it worthwhile anyway. If you're there for a long weekend, it's a lot of time to set aside, but when I go it's for a week so I try to find things like this to do when I'm there. Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did!

Upvote 0

Colonel Angus

When I went, I was there alone and was seated with two other women for lunch that were also taking the tour alone and it was a nice conversation to pass the time. During the tour itself I didn't really try to talk with anyone because we were either listening or walking or both. Yeah, in the age of the internet, there's not much they can tell you that you can't find online, and probably most people that would pay for the tour are probably at least partly Disney Parks nerds, so most likely you won't learn a lot, but I found it worthwhile anyway. If you're there for a long weekend, it's a lot of time to set aside, but when I go it's for a week so I try to find things like this to do when I'm there. Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did!
It had to have been my group. I tried to chat some folks up while we were waiting initially in the morning and then again at lunch but to no avail. I'm definitely not going to interrupt the guide that's a good way to have them not want to chat lol!

Upvote 0

macefamily

We've done the Keys to the Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom Savanah Trek. I loved both of them. Keys was really interesting touring the back lot and walking the utilidors. Ran into some characters moving through. The Trek was fantastic. We scheduled a 7:30 AM. The other group that was supposed to be there never showed so we had an exclusive tour with two CM's. We got to feed the hippos. Also got to walk across that dingy rope bridge over the gator pit. My wife was a nervous wreck. Had breakfast on a hut porch overlooking the savanah.

Upvote 0

Mireille

Premium Member
It's been a number of years, but last time I did it, you could walk up to the desk between the entrance for Soarin' and Listen to the Land (I think) and get in the next available tour. This was pre-pandemic, so my memory might be faulty or they may have changed, but I think they were running every 45 minutes? As long as there's an opening, you should be able to do it day of.

Upvote 0

graphite1326

It's been a number of years, but last time I did it, you could walk up to the desk between the entrance for Soarin' and Listen to the Land (I think) and get in the next available tour. This was pre-pandemic, so my memory might be faulty or they may have changed, but I think they were running every 45 minutes? As long as there's an opening, you should be able to do it day of.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
The current list. We do Behind the Seeds every few years
We've done every one of those except the VIP and the 2 Seas tours. We just did the Rino tour 3 weeks ago. It was great. We got to touch a baby (two year old) Rino. I highly recommend.

They used to have a bunch of other tours that we've done over the years too, but sadly they are gone.

There was a 7 hour/3 park "Behind the Magic" tour, several Future World and World Showcase tours including a Segway one, and a couple of before the park opens ones in AK. The best was the 7 hour tour. Got to see all the behind the sceens shops where stuff is made.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom