Pre-Trip Bee's Big Birthday!

Intro

For those who don't know me, I'm Bee, an opera-singing, Epcot-loving, ex-Floridian now living in New Jersey just outside of New York City. My wife M and I both grew up going to Walt Disney World and carried our love of Disney into adulthood. We buy WDW Annual Passes every other year and take 3-4 trips during the "on" years, and we often meet up with her parents in Florida since they live a couple hours away from Disney.

I am turning 30 this year and I've been trying to figure out the best way to celebrate. 2018-2019 is an "off" year for WDW so that's not an option. My birthday is also very close to Christmas so most destinations are extra expensive and crowded when I want to travel.

Our close friend S is married to a US Naval officer, and they're currently living in Japan where he is stationed for the next few years. She is enjoying it but she's understandably lonely and wants as many American friends to come visit as possible. They also happen to have a three bedroom house for just the two of them where guests can stay for free.

Put all of this together, plus the fact that M has a decent chunk of paid vacation around Christmas, and you get:

A BIRTHDAY TRIP TO JAPAN!!!

Obviously there will be Disney park visits, but there will be much more! I'll post more specifics later, but the countdown has begun and we're already in double digits! If you have travel tips for visiting Japan in general or the Tokyo parks specifically, please post them! We have both traveled overseas but never to Asia so we'll take any advice we can get! :D

bee

Original Poster
The plans

Now for some more details!

Monday, December 17
Fly to SNA (closest airport to Disneyland)
Check in Fairfield by Marriott Anaheim
Spend the evening at Downtown Disney
Go to bed early

Tuesday, December 18
Disneyland Day! We haven't decided for sure if we'll get Park Hoppers or just stick to DLP. I'm leaning toward just DLP, for cost reasons and because there will be plenty to do in the one park.

Wednesday, December 19
Check out Fairfield
Lyft to LAX
Flight to KIX

Thursday, December 20
Arrive KIX (the flight is about 13 hours, but we cross the International Date Line and through many time zones so we land the next evening in Japan)
Check in hotel near airport. We have a reservation but might cancel it if we find something better.

Friday, December 21
Train to Kyoto, meet S and J, check in Kyoto hotel that they are reserving
No specific plans yet

Sunday, December 22
I turn the Big Three-Oh in Kyoto!
Hopefully some yummy vegetarian food and sake!

Sunday, December 23
Kyoto

Monday, December 24
Kyoto

Tuesday, December 25
Train to Sasebo (home of S and J)

To be continued

bee

Original Poster
The plans, part 二

Wednesday, December 26-Sunday, December 30
Hang out with S and J in Sasebo and visit the surrounding area

Monday, December 31
Fly (probably) or train (probably not) to Tokyo with S (poor J has to stay home and work)
Check in hotel that S has reserved
Ring in the new year in Tokyo!

Tuesday, January 1
Tokyo

Wednesday, January 2
Check out Tokyo hotel
Check in Disney hotel!*
*We will stay at either the Hilton or Sheraton Tokyo Bay. They are comparable in location, price, and amenities. If anyone has any advice or preference between the two please let me know!
DisneySEA

Thursday, January 3
S goes back to Sasebo
M and I visit Disneyland

Friday, January 4
DisneySEA

Saturday, January 5
Check out Hilton or Sheraton* (see above)
Maybe explore Disney resorts
Probably shuttle to NRT
Fly to JFK
Arrive the same evening at an earlier time (again with the International Date Line!)
CRASH AT HOME!

amjt660

Premium Member
Sasebo looks to be on the island of Kyushu in the Nagasaki prefecture

If true you are very close to the city of Nagasaki and not too far from Hiroshima

I would recommend a Hiroshima visit
I found it very moving and believe everyone on this planet ( especially our leaders) should visit and reflect

I have not been to Nagasaki but have been told it is a similar but smaller experience compared to Hiroshima

Just my 2 cents

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
I stayed further away from TDS than you are considering so I cannot comment on which hotel

I had a limited nightly hotel allowance so I could not get closer
( however Toyota did pay for the hotel so I cannot complain)

It is interesting though that I was able to stay on property at HKDL and SDL

Tokyo is a mysterious / captivating woman that you are drawn to and want to pursue - but - she ain’t cheap!!!!

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
I agree with the flight from sasebo to Tokyo
You are already going to experience the Shinkansen ( bullet train) so no need to do it that distance
One thing you might find interesting is that everything runs on time - you could set you watch based on the bullet train departure
And it also applies to planes
So you do not have to show up crazy early like we do here in North America

Max

bee

Original Poster
Sasebo looks to be on the island of Kyushu in the Nagasaki prefecture

If true you are very close to the city of Nagasaki and not too far from Hiroshima

I would recommend a Hiroshima visit
I found it very moving and believe everyone on this planet ( especially our leaders) should visit and reflect

I have not been to Nagasaki but have been told it is a similar but smaller experience compared to Hiroshima

Just my 2 cents

Max
You're right, a visit to Nagasaki and/or Hiroshima is essential.

And.......

When you fly from Narita to JFK you will become a member of the Marty Mcfly club

Max
Okay...I don't get it! Please explain!

I agree with the flight from sasebo to Tokyo
You are already going to experience the Shinkansen ( bullet train) so no need to do it that distance
One thing you might find interesting is that everything runs on time - you could set you watch based on the bullet train departure
And it also applies to planes
So you do not have to show up crazy early like we do here in North America

Max
I love that everything runs on time! I'm sure you heard about the company that apologized after a train left 20 seconds early...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42009839

bee

Original Poster
Because you'll be going Back to the Future!!
OH! DUH!

Marty-McFly-What.gif

Edit: I see my original gif was censored because of the url so maybe this one will work?

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
I don't have much to update in the way of the Japan trip, but my younger brother is currently in WDW...WITHOUT ME! :arghh: I helped him plan the trip because he's never taken longer than a day trip as an adult. He is staying at the Dolphin (again...WITHOUT ME!) and sending me all his Food and Wine photos. I know I can't really complain because I go all the time but of course I'm still a little jealous. ;)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I don't have much to update in the way of the Japan trip, but my younger brother is currently in WDW...WITHOUT ME! :arghh: I helped him plan the trip because he's never taken longer than a day trip as an adult. He is staying at the Dolphin (again...WITHOUT ME!) and sending me all his Food and Wine photos. I know I can't really complain because I go all the time but of course I'm still a little jealous. ;)

I feel your pain. The friend that I went to Disney with for a couple days in June, who is not a Disney person, is taking her family this December. So she is having me plan it for her. It is fun to plan, but I want to go too! I keep thinking about all the fun holiday stuff that I won't get to see. Although, it is fun planning a trip that I don't have to pay for.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom