Beer mug

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Hey all,

We’re hoping🤞That our July cruise is still going to happen. Assuming that, does anyone know how the beer mugs work?

From my understanding you buy the mug and can pay the small beer price for the large beer. You can also trade it in for a token so you don’t have to carry the mug around. There’s also a plastic version to bring to the pools.

Does that all sound correct?

Stay healthy!
Thanks!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Hey all,

We’re hoping🤞That our July cruise is still going to happen. Assuming that, does anyone know how the beer mugs work?

From my understanding you buy the mug and can pay the small beer price for the large beer. You can also trade it in for a token so you don’t have to carry the mug around. There’s also a plastic version to bring to the pools.

Does that all sound correct?

Stay healthy!
Thanks!

I don't know about the plastic version of the mug, that might be new. But you are correct otherwise.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
I don't know about the plastic version of the mug, that might be new. But you are correct otherwise.
Hm. That’s the part I was unsure of. I’ve seen a blue plastic version a couple times online and thought it would be easier to travel with/carry around the boat.

Attachments

• 63ED8078-C158-4629-8C2C-16B67FE8BDEC.jpeg
    63ED8078-C158-4629-8C2C-16B67FE8BDEC.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 93

WWWD

When you order at the pool bars, they will give you a plastic version of the mug. If you are done drinking beer for awhile (sometimes you just get full and have to go to the hard stuff😀) you can trade your mug in for a card and redeem later. Also, if you don’t want the mug or already have one from a previous cruise just keep the card and use it on a future cruise.

jme

Yup, confirming what @WWWD said.
The mug is 20oz. Buying a beer without a mug you get 16oz.
Any bar allows you turn the mug in for a card/token. (Its called a token but its a card)
All the bars on the pool deck provide plastic mugs, all interior bars provide glass mugs.
You can bring your card/mug back onboard for future sailings and continue to use it.

Personally, I bought 2 for myself. One I keep as a mug at home as a keepsake, the other I keep in card form and bring with me on my cruises.
Oh, and final note - you can swap for an empty clean mug to take home before you debark (would recommend you do this on the last night)

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Yup, confirming what @WWWD said.
The mug is 20oz. Buying a beer without a mug you get 16oz.
Any bar allows you turn the mug in for a card/token. (Its called a token but its a card)
All the bars on the pool deck provide plastic mugs, all interior bars provide glass mugs.
You can bring your card/mug back onboard for future sailings and continue to use it.

Personally, I bought 2 for myself. One I keep as a mug at home as a keepsake, the other I keep in card form and bring with me on my cruises.
Oh, and final note - you can swap for an empty clean mug to take home before you debark (would recommend you do this on the last night)
Thanks so much! This is super useful info. They seem like good sturdy mugs. I’m hopeful I’ll be able to use one on the boat! If not I’ll just have to drink beer at home...

Phonedave

Can anybody tell me the price of

The mug

a 16 oz beer

I am assuming you cannot get a 20oz beer without the mug

Thanks

jme

Can anybody tell me the price of
The mug
a 16 oz beer
I am assuming you cannot get a 20oz beer without the mug
Thanks

Draft beers (16oz) are about $7 last I saw
The mug (20oz) was $16.95 as of late 2019 (comes filled... so effectively you are paying ~$10 for the mug)

At that rate, you are getting about $1.75 in "free" beer with each refill. ($0.4375/oz * 4oz)
By your 5th refill you will have broken even (factoring in the 4oz from the initial fill).

And yes, you can not get a 20oz draft beer without the mug.

Phonedave

Draft beers (16oz) are about $7 last I saw
The mug (20oz) was $16.95 as of late 2019 (comes filled... so effectively you are paying ~$10 for the mug)

At that rate, you are getting about $1.75 in "free" beer with each refill. ($0.4375/oz * 4oz)
By your 5th refill you will have broken even (factoring in the 4oz from the initial fill).

And yes, you can not get a 20oz draft beer without the mug.

I have to hand it to DCL - that is pretty fair.

I used to run beverage sales for an Oktoberfest fundraiser my Rotary Club does. I did almost the exact same pricing. I did 12oz pours with a 16oz souvenir mug though and it worked out to breaking even somewhere around your 4th beer.

Our prices were less overall though, we were charging $3 or $4 for a 12oz beer depending on the product and still making good money. Of course I had no taxes, rent, or labor costs - just product (cups and use of a refrigerated tap trailer were free from my distributor)

I dug out my records (they happen to be right in the desk I am sitting at (I guess that is a benefit of being sequestered at home)

My product cost in 2017, buying from a wholesale distributor. with no volume discounts was

Coors Lt - 68 cents for a 12oz serving
Hofbrau - $1.24 for 12 oz
Cricket Hill - $1.38 for 12oz
Angry Orchard - $1.11 for 12 oz
Serria Nevada $1.20 12 oz
Yuengling Oktoberfest - 84 cents for 12oz

Yeah, we all know Coors Lt is dirt cheap and a cash cow for bars, but Yuengling is a hot contender. We actually sold very little Coors Lt. Beverage ops wrote the +/- $60.00 keg off as an expense and we used it to fill steins for the masskrugstemmen events and we let the kitchen staff drink it for free (have to keep the morale of the volunteers up somehow)

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom