Been off the grid...how's Oct 2018 looking?

copcarguyp71

So...I've been off the forums for a while and not at WDW since 2013. I just found out I may have a convention to attend in October of 2018 so that may be the catalyst that gets us out of Disney hibernation. I'm curious what the anticipated state of construction and the parks is looking like for next October. I realize of course that there is many a slip twixt the cup and the lip and that construction completion dates are always theoretical at best.

Also curious what has or will have changed since our last trip in Sept of 2013. We missed the opening of SDMT by about a month so essentially in a timeline from that ride opening forward as a point of reference.

copcarguyp71

Original Poster
So I checked my old district as well as the calendars for the districts near where we live now, and their Fall Breaks are all listed as October 9-13. Don't quote me on this, but when I worked in Tennessee it seemed like most of the districts took the same Fall Break.

Maybe I'm in luck then. If we do go then we'd be departing by the 10th :)

Upvote 0

newhorizons1

Maybe I'm in luck then. If we do go then we'd be departing by the 10th :)

Hopefully! October 6th would end the grading period for schools in the area, so it makes sense that Fall Break would begin on the 9th. Since I'm not teaching anymore I'm heading back at the very end of October. I always enjoyed seeing WDW decorated for the Fall!

Upvote 0

BasiltheBatLord

Closures:
The Great Movie Ride
Backlot Tour
Lights Motors Action
American Idol Experience
Sounds Dangerous
Magic of Disney Animation
Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow
Ellen's Universe of Energy
Main Street Electrical Parade
Wishes
Dream Along With Mickey
Celebrate the Magic
Share a Dream Come True Parade
Soarin 1.0
Test Track 1.0
Captain EO
Camp Minnie Mickey
Maelstrom
Snow White's Scary Adventures
One Man's Dream
Disney Quest
CDS La Nouba
Obsourne Christmas lights
Earful Tower has been demolished at DHS
The Sorcerer's Hat icon has been removed from DHS
Holy cow I hadn't realized exactly how much stuff has closed/been removed in the past 7 years. That list is actually insane to look at.

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

Original Poster
Holy cow I hadn't realized exactly how much stuff has closed/been removed in the past 7 years. That list is actually insane to look at.

Yes, we went every other year for five trips with our DD up until 2013 when we decided to go on a break from Disney because we were seeing a lot of less than enthusiastic changes in hopes that we could return at some point with renewed jubilation...next year would be five years and I'm not seeing a whole lot of catalyst to jump start our previous fervor. Although I guess SDMT and Avatar Land are new (and lots of construction on the way) but the openings versus closings are a but underwhelming. If this trip does happen it may end up being a split stay at the park who shall not be named...

Upvote 0

correcaminos

I think New Jersey does too.
That's November - lovingly called Jersey Week.

October is definitely busier now than it used to be. I remember our honeymoon in 2000 was definitely more relaxed in crowds than 15 years later. We'd rather do 1st of June than October now :/ Particularly the first 3 weeks it seems. Though then you get those who want to go for Halloween and well. Oct is crazy now compared to the past.

Upvote 0

SyracuseDisneyFan

The Wishes firework show at Magic Kingdom's been replaced with Happily Ever After.
Disney Springs has two new complexes.
The World of Disney at Disney Springs has more room now.

Upvote 0

newhorizons1

Oh, they don't do that in Texas, but we do get the whole week of Thanksgiving off (along with everyone else).

And we only get three days off for Thanksgiving! It is such a waste since so many students are gone the entire week. We were given the entire week off once but only once!

Upvote 0

newhorizons1

It definitely varies by school district, even within one state. For example, in the metro Atlanta area, Cherokee county has their fall break this week, Cobb & Forsyth counties' fall breaks are next week, Dekalb county schools get only two days off in October, and Fulton county has NO fall break.

Whoa. Those are some early Fall breaks! I know there are some schools in the area that are only have 2-3 day Fall breaks, but that won't stop some families from taking off for the entire week somewhere.

Upvote 0

DfromATX

And we only get three days off for Thanksgiving! It is such a waste since so many students are gone the entire week. We were given the entire week off once but only once!

I agree. We used to get only Wednesday through Friday off, but they recently changed it last year or the year before. Now is the whole week! :) But it sure would be nice to have a week off in October.

Upvote 0

Gringrinngghost

tumblr_inline_ns82i9NEjm1rqgj4j_500.gif

Construction...construction everywhere
The motto of DHS

Upvote 0

Seabasealpha1

President Trump was also added to The Hall of Presidents and has been a massive success. It has had the largest queues and audience of any attraction, period.
I had a long drawn out bunch of Trump-isms to add to this...but I suddenly felt like The Mom and others were painting my forehead with a laser scope...I'll just leave it alone.

Do know that I lol'ed.

Upvote 0

Seabasealpha1

Yes, we went every other year for five trips with our DD up until 2013 when we decided to go on a break from Disney because we were seeing a lot of less than enthusiastic changes in hopes that we could return at some point with renewed jubilation...next year would be five years and I'm not seeing a whole lot of catalyst to jump start our previous fervor. Although I guess SDMT and Avatar Land are new (and lots of construction on the way) but the openings versus closings are a but underwhelming. If this trip does happen it may end up being a split stay at the park who shall not be named...
It's a delicate balance...I know for myself, my wife, and our kids...I'm trying hard not to abuse the number of trips we take...I personally could visit WDW/DL all the time...for any reason whatsoever...but I don't want it to wear out or lose luster for my family...

And the construction/closings are mega annoying...the last time we went to WDW in 2015, we skipped the studios altogether. And getting around Downtown Disney/Disney Springs was a headache for all of the roadblocks/construction walls one had to deal with.

This does not help the family keep excited about Disney.

This year we visited DL for the first time for this very reason. It was a nice change...and I can happily say that I love DL just as much as WDW. It's a dead split.

Welcome back to active duty I guess!

Upvote 0

JohnD

So...I've been off the forums for a while and not at WDW since 2013. I just found out I may have a convention to attend in October of 2018 so that may be the catalyst that gets us out of Disney hibernation. I'm curious what the anticipated state of construction and the parks is looking like for next October. I realize of course that there is many a slip twixt the cup and the lip and that construction completion dates are always theoretical at best.

Also curious what has or will have changed since our last trip in Sept of 2013. We missed the opening of SDMT by about a month so essentially in a timeline from that ride opening forward as a point of reference.

I see you've been given full updates of everything that has been added/removed since 2010. Let's cut to the chase.

In October 2018:
  • Cooler weather
  • Toy Story Land in HS open
  • Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
  • Epcot Food and Wine Festival
As for construction, based on my observation from several weeks ago there is construction of the following:
  • Star Wars and Toy Story Lands (TSL to be completed by the time you arrive)
  • Entrance/exits/parking, etc. for HS
  • Interchange at intersection of Victory Way and Osceola Parkway. (Avoid that area if at all possible. The light takes forever.)
  • Gondola System
  • Coronado Springs tower
  • Riviera Resort next to Caribbean Beach
  • Interchange at MK Plaza
  • Widening of Buena Vista Drive, mostly to accommodate bus lanes

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom