Bed Bugs

a2zdisney

Hi Everyone! With all the news lately about Bed Bugs, does anyone out there know how WDW is handling the matter? I'm a huge WDW fan. My family takes an annual trip there every year and hate to even think about this. I know with the amount of visitors it's bound to happen. I'm just wondering what is being done on property. Thanks!!

s8film40

I took a tour once of WDW Textile Services, they said they wash the comforters at least once every six months. Sounded shocking but they said that was normal for the industry.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Last year at GF I saw the baskets in the hall that had linens on them for making up a room - and it included a bed spread, I think! (Or maybe that's just what I am telling myself?!)

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Hi Everyone! With all the news lately about Bed Bugs, does anyone out there know how WDW is handling the matter? I'm a huge WDW fan. My family takes an annual trip there every year and hate to even think about this. I know with the amount of visitors it's bound to happen. I'm just wondering what is being done on property. Thanks!!

They deal with it just like any other hotel would.

Regular pest control services. If they notice an infestation or one is reported, then they address it.

There really is not much else you can do.

-dave

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

They deal with it just like any other hotel would.

Regular pest control services. If they notice an infestation or one is reported, then they address it.

There really is not much else you can do.

-dave

I must agree with Dave. If you spend your time worried about bed bugs, you'll never enjoy your own home, let alone a hotel room. Hotels are doing what they can, but the rest is a matter of Nature.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

Besides the bed bugs being in the rooms most people don't even think about the bedbugs on the plane. If one bag has them that is checked there is nothing to stop them from going elsewhere.

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

Just make sure you inspect the room carefully for signs of unwanted visitors. Disney Resorts have also had problems with these pest. You can check out the bed bug registry for reports on where they have been found.

Upvote 0

Pluto'sGrl

Look before you enter

As someone who works in the housing industry, I have more knowledge about bedbugs than I'd like to. Each time we stay at WDW, I enter our room and check the top of the bed all around the headboard (where they typically like to hang out) and the seams of the mattresses for any signs of the little buggers. I always pack a little flashlight. Then I look in the drawers to see if there's any white powder in them (a sign that the room was recently treated). Once the room gets the all clear, we bring in the luggage and enjoy our vacation without thinking about it again. It literally takes one minute and gives me peace of mind.

Upvote 0

wdwwdeagle

I am scared to death of bedbugs (and lice, but since this isn't a summer camp or elementary school forum, I'll stick to the bedbug discussion).

In addition to checking the bedbug registry, and doing what plutosgrl said, I pull back the sheet and mattress cover on each bed, up near the headboard, and lift the mattress seams, and then lift the whole mattress up at the top corner to make sure I don't see any signs (which are supposed to be little black smudges dotting the mattress. Not the bugs themselves, but their droppings. ick.).

We've stayed in 6 disney resorts in the past 12 months and, thankfully, haven't seen or heard of any problems while at the resorts.

I have also heard that you shouldn't bring your own pillow or blankets into a hotel room, so we leave all that stuff in the car. Also, all suitcases go straight to the laundry room when we get home and everything we took is washed (even if we didn't wear it).

Of course, I'll be the one who ends up getting the critters, because I'm so careful and paranoid, and someone who posts that they never bother about them will never get them. hahaha.

Upvote 0

ornurse

Unfortunately bed bugs don't happen that infrequently. They have been found in the nicest hotels. I'm thankful to know there is a site where I can check for infestations. I appreciate the poster putting the link out there!

Upvote 0

NadieMasK2

I took a tour once of WDW Textile Services, they said they wash the comforters at least once every six months. Sounded shocking but they said that was normal for the industry.
:hurl: I have heard this before and it so grosses me out.

Also DON'T put your suitcases on the bed until you make sure all is clear - else you'll be taking home lots of guests.

Upvote 0

a2zdisney

Original Poster
I am scared to death of bedbugs (and lice, but since this isn't a summer camp or elementary school forum, I'll stick to the bedbug discussion).

In addition to checking the bedbug registry, and doing what plutosgrl said, I pull back the sheet and mattress cover on each bed, up near the headboard, and lift the mattress seams, and then lift the whole mattress up at the top corner to make sure I don't see any signs (which are supposed to be little black smudges dotting the mattress. Not the bugs themselves, but their droppings. ick.).

We've stayed in 6 disney resorts in the past 12 months and, thankfully, haven't seen or heard of any problems while at the resorts.

I have also heard that you shouldn't bring your own pillow or blankets into a hotel room, so we leave all that stuff in the car. Also, all suitcases go straight to the laundry room when we get home and everything we took is washed (even if we didn't wear it).

Of course, I'll be the one who ends up getting the critters, because I'm so careful and paranoid, and someone who posts that they never bother about them will never get them. hahaha.

Thank you very much for the pointers! I'm a bit of a worry wart, so it has me a little nervous. I'm going to follow your lead and check everything as much as I can! I've stayed on property so many times with never a problem but this time I will be a bit more aware of my surroundings. Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0

fosse76

Also DON'T put your suitcases on the bed until you make sure all is clear - else you'll be taking home lots of guests.

Most bedbug infestations of hotels come from being carried into a hotel via, you guessed it, a suitcase. Bedbugs don't confine themselves to just beds.

Upvote 0

lilfritzy

We are going in October and I was thinking about this. I live at the Jersey shore and because of all the vacationers that have come down from New York this summer some places have gotten hit most notebly 3 theaters of a Movie theater.

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

I guess call me crazy...but I have never really bothered with going through all of this for something happens so infrequently.

It happens more often than you think. Only once have we found signs of them in a Disney Resort and thankfully I had inspected the room before moving in. It only takes a minute for peace of mind

Upvote 0

wendysue

The first thing I do upon entering ANY hotel room, is check the mattresses, headboard, and drawers, before bringing anything in. The second is to pull the comforter off the bed and put it in the corner. If its all good, it's "ON TO THE PARKS!!!!" :sohappy:

Upvote 0

ryguy

I just assume every hotel has them now, sad but true. Too Funny that someone from jersey said they got bedbugs from New Yorkers. Don't worry I blame everything bad on New Jersey, so I guess its fair. :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom