Beauty and the Beast Tokyo ride through

Minnesota disney fan

I saw the ride through, and thought it looked amazing! I'm not going to pick it apart. I'm a simple girl, and it seemed to check all the boxes for me. It looks lovely and I just wish I could go to Japan to ride it myself. It seems like the Japanese disney has done alot of things right, IMO.

DLR92

I watched the video. I thought some part are very well detailed and beautiful. But I do find the transitioning a bit awkward. But I am a bit reminded of the Haunted Mansion and classic take on fantasy dark rides.

BasiltheBatLord

I know I’m late here but I finally got to ride this today after having been spoiler free up to today.

It’s underwhelming. I have a bit more detailed write up in the Disneyland sub forum but the main issues are:

- The show scenes are too big and minimally themed, which makes them feel empty. You also spend way too long in most scenes.

- The attraction lacks any sense of fear/danger/thrill. This was part of what made the old style FL dark rides so good. Now it feels like Imagineering just wants to distill every Disney movie down to bright and sunny show tunes.

The queue is really cool but unfortunately there were CMs all throughout telling people to keep moving preventing you from really taking in the detail.

UNCgolf

I know I’m late here but I finally got to ride this today after having been spoiler free up to today.

It’s underwhelming. I have a bit more detailed write up in the Disneyland sub forum but the main issues are:

- The show scenes are too big and minimally themed, which makes them feel empty. You also spend way too long in most scenes.

- The attraction lacks any sense of fear/danger/thrill. This was part of what made the old style FL dark rides so good. Now it feels like Imagineering just wants to distill every Disney movie down to bright and sunny show tunes.

The queue is really cool but unfortunately there were CMs all throughout telling people to keep moving preventing you from really taking in the detail.

I don't think a ride has to have to have any sense of fear/thrill. None of the classic EPCOT dark rides really had that and they're among the very best rides Disney (or anyone else) has ever built.

I do agree that the show scenes look too big, though, and I think that's part of the problem with trackless rides in general. There are ways around that -- the scenes being gigantic is actually part of the theme/IP in Rise of the Resistance, for one -- but to really maximize the technology (as opposed to just using a regular tracked ride) the rooms have to be big enough for the vehicles to move around. They also don't have enough detail, but that's just an overall Disney problem these days. Rise of the Resistance and Navi River Journey are the only recent Disney rides that actually have detailed settings off the top of my head. BatB is certainly ahead of rides like Frozen Ever After or Journey of the Little Mermaid in that regard, but the fact you spend more time in each area and move around inside scene instead of passing through it means those area require even more detailing than a standard omnimover.

The very first scene in the ride looks like the best one, which isn't really great for the overall experience.

Last edited:

RandySavage

I do believe giving at least a small twinge/tingle of excitement & fear is necessary in great rides. Those EPCOT originals mostly had segments that gave that little kicker (e.g., Horizons' simulator ending; World of Motion's speed rooms, Energy's dinosaurs, Spaceship Earth's height and when it turns backwards for the descent). Even the Peoplemover gives a bit of a chill when your enter Space Mountain and hear the screams. To me, the least-affecting rides are the ones that are absent of that "what might happen next" uncertainty (Small World, Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story Mania).

I agree with some that B&B's shortcomings are the drawn-out pacing and somewhat bare set/art direction. If a ride is slow and lingering, sets need to overwhelm the senses with layers of detail and things to spot. In these B&B vids, this new Castle Queue looks far too brightly-lit, clean and modern (lighting) for my tastes, but I can understand that a dark, dilapidated, cobweb-filled queue might freak out the young and timid that are part of the targeted demo. Still, MK's mermaid has an outstanding queue that can intimidate and it aims at an even younger demo than this.

I think the overall grade/impact of this attraction is on par with Mermaid (B/B+), which is fine, but not when considering B&B's budget could have bought 2 or 3 Mermaid level rides. Mermaid has better pacing (shockingly). B&B has more impressive FX. Lesson to be learned: If you're spending $250+million on a attraction based on a well-known movie, it has to be more than just physically recreating a smattering of scenes in random order (e.g., Splash Mountain is the exemplar of what to do for an animated movie E-ticket).

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I think the overall grade/impact of this attraction is on par with Mermaid (B/B+), which is fine, but not when considering B&B's budget could have bought 2 or 3 Mermaid level rides. Mermaid has better pacing (shockingly). B&B has more impressive FX. Lesson to be learned: If you're spending $250+million on a attraction based on a well-known movie, it has to be more than just physically recreating a smattering of scenes in random order (e.g., Splash Mountain is the exemplar of what to do for an animated movie E-ticket).

Interesting. I'd agree that BatB is probably a B/B+ ride, but I think Mermaid is bordering on being an F. Everything about it looks shockingly cheap and it doesn't even tell the story properly -- it essentially skips the climax/defeat of the villain (sure, it's shown in a quick shadow, but that barely counts).

Disney Analyst

Honestly. I think I'd take a reduction in capacity, so they could have utilized a smaller vehicle and built more tight and surrounding sets. Remove the dancing snow scene, make that a twisty turn hallway run. Stuff like that.

Haymarket

I love the castle's exterior.

Much nicer than the forced-perspective model at the Magic Kingdom.

css596753LARGE.jpg
1607541957810.jpeg

HongKongFooy

I think Mermaid is bordering on being an F. Everything about it looks shockingly cheap

You mean like the "fish sticks" and spinning echinoderms doing the 'Under Da Sea' song and dance? Ya, that's some cheeseball stuff in that main room. Ariela should have been a more memorable figure but her movements don't impress.

But I do like the seagull AA in the queue......he's a good one and perfectly placed, too.

So, I met Paige O'Hara, the original voice of Belle, for a second time at Fan Expo Dallas last month. I asked her if she had seen footage of the ride and she said that she had seen parts of it. I mentioned to her that right now Disney used special voice recording technology for Mark Hamill and James Earl Jones, called Respeecher, in the Star Wars TV shows on Disney+ to make them sound younger like they did back when the original film trilogy was released. She said that she had heard about that process and I asked her if a Beauty and the Beast ride were to ever open in America and if Disney would use it for her and the rest of the film's surviving voice actors. She said that she hoped they would and actually her voice has gotten much better after they decided not to have her do Belle's voice full-time anymore. I don't know if a ride will ever come here to America, but I hope it does and they will use her, Robby Benson, Richard White, Jessi Corti, Angela Lansbury, and Bradley Pierce's voices for the ride even if they do it with Respeecher. Disneyland in California needs more Beauty and the Beast at their parks.

Last edited:
I suspect DL will get this in the future. I just hope the last scene is more filled with AA.

If that were to happen I wonder if the ride will be at the regular Disneyland Park or at Disney California Adventure where 'Ariel's Undersea Adventure' is. The ride could also be a part of that 'DisneylandForward' plan. I know that some people might find this idea unpopular, but some fans have been suggesting that a Beauty and the Beast ride should replace Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which is scary for some younger audiences since it takes them to Hell. Others have been saying that Pinocchio's Daring Journey is outdated and should also go, but I don't see that happening.

DLR92

If that were to happen I wonder if the ride will be at the regular Disneyland Park or at Disney California Adventure where 'Ariel's Undersea Adventure' is. The ride could also be a part of that 'DisneylandForward' plan. I know that some people might find this idea unpopular, but some fans have been suggesting that a Beauty and the Beast ride should replace Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which is scary for some younger audiences since it takes them to Hell. Others have been saying that Pinocchio's Daring Journey is outdated and should also go, but I don't see that happening.
How on earth would this attraction fit in the space where all of DL fantasyland rides are contained?

J4546

It eould go in new redeveloped area where autopia and subs are or it could go where fantasy land theater is. But I'd rather see an updated poo ride where fantasy land theater is.

tanc

WDW is arguably the one that should have gotten this. But it's fine staying in Japan. Japan has so many exclusive high quality rides now that it's getting insane. Not to mention the entire expansion, not sure if anything notable will be with it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom