Beat the Heat in August?

kasey

We are taking our trip to Disney this year at the end of August (the week before Labor Day) . We will be there for 7 days, staying at the Poly. I know from reading that August can be extremely hot. What are some fun things we can do in and around the parks and at the same time stay out of the heat?

NowInc

Originally posted by kasey
We are taking our trip to Disney this year at the end of August (the week before Labor Day) . We will be there for 7 days, staying at the Poly. I know from reading that August can be extremely hot. What are some fun things we can do in and around the parks and at the same time stay out of the heat?

Bring a water spray bottle...trust me ;)

Some other things you way want to look into is bringing your own ice packs and stuff to cool yourself down with...

I personally am used to the FL weather (i wear jeans and long sleeve shirts almost all year round)...but I remember when I first moved here from NY....it was almost unbearable...

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

We always visit at that time. Truthfully the heat doesn't bother me, but sometimes it can get annoying. Definately use a spray bottle with the fan. WATER,WATER, WATER...either buy or bring. Just make sure it is cold. Light clothing. And if it is really hot then cut through shops (main street).

Upvote 0

Debbie

I dread going in August but I'd go rather than stay home. We usually hop the boat back to the Poly and my husband takes the boys on the Mini-boats that rent for $20.00 Hr. or so. It is the highlite of my little ones trip. Then they go swimming and come back around 4 pm and we rest a bit then head back to a park. Sometimes we would just hang around the Poly and watch the Electrical Water Pageant at 9 then the fireworks at 10. I personally hate the heat especially when it gets near 100 degrees.

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by Debbie
I personally hate the heat especially when it gets near 100 degrees.

......which happens almost everyday in August! :cool: with the customarily rain at 3:30pm..... :animwink:

Water, hat and sunblock are the keys for enjoyment!:)

Upvote 0

cm1988

Originally posted by kasey
We are taking our trip to Disney this year at the end of August (the week before Labor Day) . We will be there for 7 days, staying at the Poly...

Well, I'm sure you'll get good use out of the recently-rehabbed "volcano" pool at the Poly. The water parks are great, too... particularly Typhoon Lagoon. Grab an inner tube and float around that lazy river for hours (having applied sunblock in advance!). Blizzard Beach also has a "lazy river", but I guess I like the more laid-back Typhoon Lagoon.

I see you're from VA. The Tidewater area is almost as hot... and possibly more humid.. than Florida in August. Really. I've lived both places for several years. In Winter, Florida is 30 degrees warmer than the rest of the country, but it summer, the difference is more like 10 degrees.

You've picked a fairly quiet week to visit - many schools are open by then. Days are still long (though park hours are not quite as long as they are mid-summer). With seven days, you should really be able to take it slow and just enjoy things. No need to wait in line during peak hours, which also happen to be the warmest. As Debbie suggests above, just take the launch or monorail back to the pool. Maybe rent a water sprite one day and buzz around 7 seas lagoon.

Upvote 0

Demon Snow Dog

Hit the outdoor rides and shows first thing before the temp skyrockets. Do the water-splashing and indoor rides and shows in the afternoon. Take along a small cooler filled with non-alcoholic liquid refreshment, ice and a couple of washcloths. Wait for the afternoon parade in an air-conditioned store located on the parade route. If possible, go to MK on the date of an E-ride night, get your ticket for it, spend that afternoon relaxing by the pool at your hotel, then go back to MK in the evening. Stay cool and have fun!

Upvote 0

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Go to a Water Park in the day, and a Theme Park at night. The hours are long enough then so you can do this without really missing anything except the Theme Park fun of waiting in long outdoor lines in 90 degree weather. LoL.

Upvote 0

PrincessK

Water, Water, Water! It's worth renting a fridge ($7 a day) so you can buy and store and freeze your own water. It's cheaper. Take plently of breaks back at the Poly and just walk more slowly than normal.

While you're at Epcot go to Ice Station Cool. It's fun to look around, and very refreshing too.

It's not as bad as you might think. You're already used to the summer heat, so FL won't be too bad. It's worse when you go in May for example and your home state hasn't really warmed up yet. That's when you die and go through 2+ outfits a day. LOL

Kristin

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

Coming from Sunny England! we found Agust in Orlando just a liitle warm!!! We aimed for an early start most days and left the parks at lunch time for a welcome few hours at the pool or the water parks after a few hours break we where refreshed and hit the parks again.

Another way to avoid the heat was a lesiurely lunch in a lovely cool restaurant and a few hours retail theraphy in a nice cool store:animwink:

Upvote 0

mousefan17

go to the animal kingdom on a "cooler" day, because one of the "cast members" once told me that b/c of all the vegetation, it makes the humidity at the animal kingdom even worse............ which makes it feel even hotter!!

Upvote 0

Maria

In my experience, AK is the coldest when it is cold and the hottest when it is hot.... cast members even refresh you with hoses and glasses of water!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom