BEASTLY KINGDOM? Who Knew....

jbeachboy

Being fascinated with how big WDW is, I spend quite a bit of time looking at different areas around WDW that would be great for expansion.
Here's a pic of AK:
View attachment 177239
Now here's a pic of a rather large area to the north that would be great for expansion:
View attachment 177240
I've noticed it looks like they have cleared some land. Could something be possibly planned in the near/distant future here? Of course the safari tour is just to the west of this area so noise could be a factor because of all the animals there.

is that enough room for beastly kingdom?

jbeachboy

Sadly, this will never be built. I think the idea was really great, especially since fantasy creatures are a theme that has lasted throughout time (dragons have been a part of multiple mythologies for a very long time). Now they are making Avatar Land instead, which really, does anyone even care about Avatar anymore (granted, I thought Avatar was an absolutely awful movie, so I was never too excited when they announced a whole area for it)? I guess they are hoping the planet in the movie can provide enough visual wonder that people won't care if it is Avatar. Though, I would have much preferred to have cool things like dragons in the park.

avatar is highest selling film yet i see very little excitement for avatarland in my opinion. very bizarre, was avatar more popular outside the usa?

blueboxdoctor

avatar is highest selling film yet i see very little excitement for avatarland in my opinion. very bizarre, was avatar more popular outside the usa?

It was pretty popular when it came out, the problem I think may be the movie simply wasn't a very good movie. Yes, it looked amazing, but the characters and the story were very forgettable (I really couldn't stand any of the characters). There wasn't any charm to it, instead it felt like a glorified tech demo.

And now they are making Star Wars Land, which I think will be far more popular than Avatar Land. I know they have three more Avatar movies planned, but will anyone really care (just read i he second one is rumored to come out at the end of 2018, so it's not even close)? With big things like Star Wars, Marvel, and Beauty and the Beast, will anyone at WDW be too excited about Avatar Land? And if the upcoming DC movies (Wonder Woman, Justice League, Aquaman, and Batman) are good, then Avatar really won't be a big deal.

jbeachboy

It was pretty popular when it came out, the problem I think may be the movie simply wasn't a very good movie. Yes, it looked amazing, but the characters and the story were very forgettable (I really couldn't stand any of the characters). There wasn't any charm to it, instead it felt like a glorified tech demo.

And now they are making Star Wars Land, which I think will be far more popular than Avatar Land. I know they have three more Avatar movies planned, but will anyone really care (just read i he second one is rumored to come out at the end of 2018, so it's not even close)? With big things like Star Wars, Marvel, and Beauty and the Beast, will anyone at WDW be too excited about Avatar Land? And if the upcoming DC movies (Wonder Woman, Justice League, Aquaman, and Batman) are good, then Avatar really won't be a big deal.

it will depend how cool it really looks or how good the rides are

blueboxdoctor

it will depend how cool it really looks or how good the rides are

Yeah, I think they are hoping the area can still be cool because the movie basically was a tech demo and the main attraction was world they created, so I guess it could work well for a themed area for Animal Kingdom.

blueboxdoctor

is flight simulator ride supposed to be like soarin?

Just looked it up, it seems it is apparently along the same lines as Soarin but more advanced. There also seems to be an indoor river cruise, which I think may be pretty cool. It's just unfortunate it is for a movie franchise that isn't nearly as popular anymore.

KrazyKat

OK, just my armchair Imagineering going crazy, but I've always thought this specific area would be perfect for a stateside version of Mt. Prometheus. Of course, it would include Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20K leagues under the sea just like in Tokyo, but also an area leading to (Mysterious Island?) where they could put Mystic Manor and perhaps even a new Adventurer's Club/restaurant. All these attractions are based in Asia so why not put them in AK's Asia.
AK3.JPG

I would also add a Panda exhibit nearby (of course this depends on China's gov't).

jbeachboy

OK, just my armchair Imagineering going crazy, but I've always thought this specific area would be perfect for a stateside version of Mt. Prometheus. Of course, it would include Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20K leagues under the sea just like in Tokyo, but also an area leading to (Mysterious Island?) where they could put Mystic Manor and perhaps even a new Adventurer's Club/restaurant. All these attractions are based in Asia so why not put them in AK's Asia.
View attachment 177336
I would also add a Panda exhibit nearby (of course this depends on China's gov't).

20,000 leagues has high maintenance costs so they will never bring that ride back.

UncleFastpass

It's a shame the original idea wasn't built,I remember when AK first opened there was a cave just on the other side of the bridge to Camp Minnie Mickey where "a dragon" would periodically shoot flames out of.

jbeachboy

Just looked it up, it seems it is apparently along the same lines as Soarin but more advanced. There also seems to be an indoor river cruise, which I think may be pretty cool. It's just unfortunate it is for a movie franchise that isn't nearly as popular anymore.

navri river journey where you meet female shaman at end, flight of passage on banshee is title for simulator. i never went on soarin though

blueboxdoctor

navri river journey where you meet female shaman at end, flight of passage on banshee is title for simulator. i never went on soarin though

The good news is, or at least for me, is Soarin isn't even close to being intense, it's a very relaxed but cool experience, so I'm hoping the Avatar ride like it is still on the calmer side to be more accessible, which I wouldn't be surprised if it were, especially for a new area. Same goes for the river cruise ride, I'm thinking something along the lines of Pirates of the Caribbean, but of course with all modern technology behind all the effects and scenery.

jbeachboy

The good news is, or at least for me, is Soarin isn't even close to being intense, it's a very relaxed but cool experience, so I'm hoping the Avatar ride like it is still on the calmer side to be more accessible, which I wouldn't be surprised if it were, especially for a new area. Same goes for the river cruise ride, I'm thinking something along the lines of Pirates of the Caribbean, but of course with all modern technology behind all the effects and scenery.

According to Disney Imagineers, it will be similar in style to Epcot’s Soarin’ except it will be turned up a few levels

jbeachboy

Last week we mentioned that the ride experience would have the guests actually riding on the back of an actual Banshee creature, but according Iger's this experience itself will be taken to the next level. According to Iger's own description of riding on a prototype vehicle created for the attraction back then, "It felt so real, so lifelike", "There's never been anything like it."
Even then it was reported that guests will be riding on the Banshees, "with bodies that move to mimic a breathing beast" sitting between your legs. It also goes on to describe the projected action in the large theater as being in "3D" as well, so it looks like you'll get to put on some kind of 3D glasses, or goggles, to complete the experience which may actually help the movement and "breathing" of the Banshee below you feel more real, as you will be focused on the 3D action on the screen visually, but your sense of touch will be captivated by the warmth and movement of what may feel like a living creature beneath you.
(10/14/16) According to the latest rumor sent in to Screamscape, another major detail about the AVATAR Flight of Passage flight simulator attraction is really going to set this experience apart from anything else we’ve seen before. From what I’ve been told, the position you’ll be flying in will be quite different than the other “Soarin’” style ride systems, because guests will actually be straddling the creature you are supposed to be flying, one of the flying Banshees.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom