Beach Club Villa

jbarteau

Original Poster
My wife and I just got back from our first DVC trip and stayed at the BCV. Our home resort is BLT however my wife loves the beach club resort. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the way the room looked and needing a good update. we stayed in room 525 and everything from the walls, carpeting and bathroom looked like they could use a fresh makeover.
Anyone else notice this.

tjkraz

DVC villa occupancy runs near 100%, housekeeping schedules are limited and member dues pay for room renovations. For that combination of reasons, it's not realistic to expect pristine accommodations every time.

Disney's cash hotels average about 85-90% occupancy. That gives each hotel literally dozens of excess rooms at any given time. The rooms in need of extra attention are taken out of circulation.

At DVCs, if a resort has 50 rooms being vacated on any given day, they typically have 50 new groups inbound. The resort staff only has from 11am (checkout time) to 4pm (checkin time) to get those rooms ready for the new guests. And the limited housekeeping means that many villas have gone 5-6 days without being serviced at all.

If there are physical issues with the room that need to be rectified, contact housekeeping or maintenance. We've had to call about minor things like a leaky dishwasher and missing kitchen utensils over the years.

If it's a case of just general wear and tear (worn carpeting, chipped paint, etc.), you could always mention it at the front desk. Resorts don't wait for full-scale refurbishment schedules to address these issues. But again, they also don't have the luxury of performing extensive maintenance when the guest load is high.

As a member, reality is that you'll get some great rooms and some not-so-great rooms over the years. In many ways it's part and parcel of timeshare ownership.

ncstate7991

DVC villa occupancy runs near 100%, housekeeping schedules are limited and member dues pay for room renovations. For that combination of reasons, it's not realistic to expect pristine accommodations every time.

Disney's cash hotels average about 85-90% occupancy. That gives each hotel literally dozens of excess rooms at any given time. The rooms in need of extra attention are taken out of circulation.

At DVCs, if a resort has 50 rooms being vacated on any given day, they typically have 50 new groups inbound. The resort staff only has from 11am (checkout time) to 4pm (checkin time) to get those rooms ready for the new guests. And the limited housekeeping means that many villas have gone 5-6 days without being serviced at all.

If there are physical issues with the room that need to be rectified, contact housekeeping or maintenance. We've had to call about minor things like a leaky dishwasher and missing kitchen utensils over the years.

If it's a case of just general wear and tear (worn carpeting, chipped paint, etc.), you could always mention it at the front desk. Resorts don't wait for full-scale refurbishment schedules to address these issues. But again, they also don't have the luxury of performing extensive maintenance when the guest load is high.

As a member, reality is that you'll get some great rooms and some not-so-great rooms over the years. In many ways it's part and parcel of timeshare ownership.

We stayed in our first DVC rooms this past March. We stayed in a studio at BLT and a 1 bedroom at BWV. The one bedroom at BWV was in better condition than the studio at BLT. Maybe we were in a room that had recently had some work done to it, but the studio at BLT had chips on the furniture, a couple of worn spots in the carpet, and just felt used harder than the room at BWV.

Does anyone know if DVC ever renovates an entire complex (ie over a year each room is redone)? Can they even do so with the point system? I know/have heard that Disney keeps 2-4% of the rooms at a DVC resort for themself. Could DVC pay for those rooms and rotate them through a complex to renovate rooms? When/If DVC does a full complex renovation at the dues considerably higher that year?

Tons of questions I know, but we are waiting on ROFR and just trying to learn more each day. Thank you!

DisneyJoe

My wife and I just got back from our first DVC trip and stayed at the BCV. Our home resort is BLT however my wife loves the beach club resort. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the way the room looked and needing a good update. we stayed in room 525 and everything from the walls, carpeting and bathroom looked like they could use a fresh makeover.
Anyone else notice this.

We stayed in a 1-bedroom villa at BCV in May 2010 and the room was in excellent shape, it looked recently refurbished.

Pioneer Hall

We stayed in our first DVC rooms this past March. We stayed in a studio at BLT and a 1 bedroom at BWV. The one bedroom at BWV was in better condition than the studio at BLT. Maybe we were in a room that had recently had some work done to it, but the studio at BLT had chips on the furniture, a couple of worn spots in the carpet, and just felt used harder than the room at BWV.

Does anyone know if DVC ever renovates an entire complex (ie over a year each room is redone)? Can they even do so with the point system? I know/have heard that Disney keeps 2-4% of the rooms at a DVC resort for themself. Could DVC pay for those rooms and rotate them through a complex to renovate rooms? When/If DVC does a full complex renovation at the dues considerably higher that year?

Tons of questions I know, but we are waiting on ROFR and just trying to learn more each day. Thank you!

They recently finished a full room refurbishment of Old Key West, so I think that at the bigger resorts it might be a little easier to pull off than the smaller ones like OKW. Dues wouldn't get higher because these sorts of major projects would likely come from the capital improvements budgets that members pay into every year. Money in that budget is saved for when a resort needs a big project like room renovation or roof replacement.

tjkraz

Room condition has very little to do with the age of the resort and everything to do with how well guests care for the accommodations. A room that was renovated 2 weeks ago could look shabby if a guest stained the carpet with kool aid or swung their luggage around carelessly and dinged up the wall.

Disney keeps 2% ownership at all resorts and that is used to help with room renovations. The exact process at work is something of a mystery but in theory, 2% ownership gives them the ability to take every guest room out of service for one week per year. Given that room reservations are accepted 11 months ahead of time, I imagine it's difficult to predict future room maintenance needs.

Wholesale resort renovations are rare...and costly. Old Key West is nearly 20 years old and is just wrapping up its first wholesale renovation. Most rooms received new floor coverings, window coverings, countertops, plumbing fixtures, TVs, some furniture, etc. BoardWalk received such a renovation after 15 years.

Resorts like the Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge and Saratoga Springs are < 10 years old and have not received this sort of attention yet.

But in between those major projects, Disney will still stay on top of guest room needs. "Soft goods" like linens are often replaced every few years. Most resorts now have flat panel TVs. The resorts were given new (improved) patio furniture over the last couple of years.

If a room needs to be painted, it will be painted. If a room needs new carpet, it will get new carpet. If a room needs new appliances, it will get new appliances.

The distinction is that these changes may not always happen on the schedules members would want. And a lot of it has to do with that high occupancy. Like I said previously, if a resort has 50 groups leaving and 50 arriving, every one of those villas has to be clean and ready to go around 4pm. There's a very obvious trade off between getting guests into a room on time or early vs. taking extra time to fix lingering problems.

If you were arriving and didn't get into your room until 6-7pm, would it be any comfort if they told you that it was because they had to shampoo the carpets or repair a hole in the drywall? :shrug:

And then there's the cost issue. A guest puts his suitcase on the kitchen table while packing. When removing the suitcase, it leaves a few scratches on the table. Table could be a few months or weeks old. Is that damage sufficient to justify spending $1000-2000 (whatever it costs) of member dues for a replacement? :shrug:

We have been members for about 8 years now. We've never gotten into our room later than 2:30pm. There have been times where we called maintenance to get minor issues addressed but we have never had a room in such poor state of disrepair that it was particularly memorable.

Best thing you can do is be cognizant of the realities of timeshare ownership. Take steps to get important issues resolved--don't let broken door handles or burned-out light bulbs ruin your trip when maintenance will happily repair them. But also don't expect accommodations that look "like new" every single time. Not gonna happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom