Beach Club or Poly??

DisneyGigi

I wasn’t sure if should post this in resorts or trip planning. Feel free to move Mods, if need be.

So, just the Hubby and I this year, and we decided to go in late August-September to take in our 26th anniversary. We definitely want to stay Deluxe, we are spoiled now since last trip at Old Key West. I adore the Poly and the Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht Club. In the past, I would have thought we would have picked the Poly, but we spend a lot more time at Epcot than Magic Kingdom since the kids grew up. The thought of walking through the back gate of the evenings to the resort is very appealing to me but then I think the Poly.. lol We eat at both Cape May and Ohana and hang out for a bit at both resort areas.
Those that have stayed at both, which would you recommend?

Thanks!!

BoardwalkGigi

When my husband and I travel to WDW by ourselves we spend more time leisurely strolling around than hitting park attractions. Our favorite places to stay are Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Yacht Club because we like to be able to enter Epcot at the International Gateway almost every evening for a walk around World Showcase. Also, because those three resorts are all accessible to one another on foot, as are Swan, Dolphin, and Hollywood Studios, there are endless things to do without needing transportation, as well as a great variety of very good restaurants and lounges. If I had to choose between Beach Club and the Polynesian on an adults only trip, I would definitely choose Beach Club.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
When my husband and I travel to WDW by ourselves we spend more time leisurely strolling around than hitting park attractions. Our favorite places to stay are Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Yacht Club because we like to be able to enter Epcot at the International Gateway almost every evening for a walk around World Showcase. Also, because those three resorts are all accessible to one another on foot, as are Swan, Dolphin, and Hollywood Studios, there are endless things to do without needing transportation, as well as a great variety of very good restaurants and lounges. If I had to choose between Beach Club and the Polynesian on an adults only trip, I would definitely choose Beach Club.
I definitely think we are leaning Beach Club especially with the F&W Festival. (Hoping it starts early again this year) It is funny we used to spend so much more time at MK and I love the Poly, but we go to the boardwalk and eat and hang out, even ride the bikes so much now I think it makes more sense to stay there. Have you guys walked to DHS before? We have walked all over the area but have not walked to DHS before. Just curious if we should do the boat or just walk? We are used to walking a ton while there..some days we have clocked 15 miles but wasn’t sure how far or how long it would take to walk it say if we wanted to go first thing in the morning.

Upvote 0

BoardwalkGigi

Have you guys walked to DHS before? We have walked all over the area but have not walked to DHS before. Just curious if we should do the boat or just walk? We are used to walking a ton while there..some days we have clocked 15 miles but wasn’t sure how far or how long it would take to walk it say if we wanted to go first thing in the morning.
Definitely. We walk to Hollywood Studios all of the time! Our last two trips we stayed at Boardwalk Villas. (and we'll be back in 3 days!!!)
The villa side is the more colorful section of the Boardwalk Inn and Villas property, so if you're familiar with that area you know that it's quite a bit closer to the path to Hollywood Studios then Beach Club is. We can walk from BWV to DHS in about 15 minutes, so add about another 10 minutes from the Beach Club lobby. It's a nice walk, completely paved. There are a few spots of shade but mostly it's sunny, so I like to bring a bottle of water if it's crazy hot outside. Of course you can always opt for the boat. When we're at BW it doesn't make much sense to take the boat because there's usually a wait for it and then two additional stops along the way. Also the boat is slooowww and I find it stuffy no matter what time of year it is. I'd rather be outside walking. From Beach Club, your journey would be about the same length regardless of which way you walk around the lake but if you walk counter clockwise so that you go past Yacht Club you can see if a boat is boarding or approaching the dock and then decide whether to ride or walk. You'll still have to stop at the Swan and Dolphin dock on the way, and the stops take time. It's nice to have both options.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Definitely. We walk to Hollywood Studios all of the time! Our last two trips we stayed at Boardwalk Villas. (and we'll be back in 3 days!!!)
The villa side is the more colorful section of the Boardwalk Inn and Villas property, so if you're familiar with that area you know that it's quite a bit closer to the path to Hollywood Studios then Beach Club is. We can walk from BWV to DHS in about 15 minutes, so add about another 10 minutes from the Beach Club lobby. It's a nice walk, completely paved. There are a few spots of shade but mostly it's sunny, so I like to bring a bottle of water if it's crazy hot outside. Of course you can always opt for the boat. When we're at BW it doesn't make much sense to take the boat because there's usually a wait for it and then two additional stops along the way. Also the boat is slooowww and I find it stuffy no matter what time of year it is. I'd rather be outside walking. From Beach Club, your journey would be about the same length regardless of which way you walk around the lake but if you walk counter clockwise so that you go past Yacht Club you can see if a boat is boarding or approaching the dock and then decide whether to ride or walk. You'll still have to stop at the Swan and Dolphin dock on the way, and the stops take time. It's nice to have both options.
Thanks so much! Yes, I know the villas well, we almost stayed there this past trip, but for whatever crazy reason, we could stay in a Studio, but not a 1 BR Villa! My son’s family went with us, and we wanted a little more room. A 1 br Villa did not have a twin pullout option for our grandson, so we would have had to stay at a studio that did. We went with Old Key West instead. I figured the boat would take longer, thanks so much though, because I was not sure how much farther a walk it was from the villas.
Have fun on your trip in a few days!

Upvote 0

BoardwalkGigi

You're welcome!
It is a little strange that the 1 bedroom villas sleep fewer people than a studio. I'm pretty sure it's like that at most, if not all of the DVC properties
Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it.

Upvote 0
For me, the Poly wins hands down. I just love the grounds, the music and tiki torches at night. I love watching the fireworks and water pagent from the beach and enjoying drinks at Trader's Sams. Plus there is the easy access to Dole whip! That alone should convince you ;)
I personally did not like the BC's grounds as much and the room we got was dark. That being said, the location of BC was great for quick entry to Epcot but you can get to Epcot with the monorail from the Poly.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

While the Poly is my dream resort, the Beach Club is my home away from home. We have stayed there the last 2 two trips and it is wonderful! We adore everything this resort has to offer - the location and walking to/from Epcot and taking the boat to DHS is really nice, the amazing pool - every afternoon is spent relaxing at SAB, the rooms are spacious and beautiful, the restaurants are great, the QS options are a lot better at the Poly IMO. The transportation was great both time we stayed at BC - the buses were never packed but we also went Labor Day week when the crowds are low. The smell of the lobby is just amazing!

Upvote 0

SeaCastle

We've done the Beach Club 3x in the past 14 years and would recommend it over any other WDW hotel. Everything there is to love about the Polynesian can be enjoyed by taking a trip over there for an afternoon or evening. The major benefits of the Beach Club - the pool and park access - can only be enjoyed at the BC and it runs a full $100 or so less than the Poly.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
If it was a few years ago when we spent more time at MK, I would choose the Poly hands down, I always thought that would be my choice... but I think we both decided to go with Beach Club this trip because we will spend so much time at Epcot. The whole being a walk away is going to be so convenient, and we always, hang out at the boardwalk at least 2 nights a trip. Thanks for all the input! I think we will do the Poly next trip and enjoy Beach Club this year! I am so stinking excited I can’t stand myself. :)

Upvote 0

aw14

This is a great question. Just stayed at BC for food and wine. It was excellent and for Epcot people, it’s the place to stay. With that said, we are staying at poly again for our July/August trip. It is by far my favorite resort, my favorite theme, and we are more into the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. So from that perspective the Polynesian is a winner for us. Honestly however, you can’t go wrong with either.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom