Be straight with me!!

Magic Maker

Peachyy...

Take this for what it is. I do work for Disney Vacation Club, I am NOT a Guide, meaning I do not sell the membership. I do however, earn my living for booking our Open House at Saratoga. I work for DVC because I believe in it. It also stressful because when I read or hear from someone who visits 1-2 times a year and still doesn't think it is for them, I want to scream :).
This is your decision to make, but I will tell you this.
I spend 60 hours of my life a week talking about DVC. The one thing I hear over and over and over again is "We wish we had done this sooner". Every single member I talk to, unless they bought it when we first started, says that they should have done it sooner.

As far as looking into another Timeshare...

Price vs Cost
Yes many timeshares have a lower price, Six Flags also has a lower admission price. Which do you like better?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Think of the costs this way:

The cost is higher in the first 10 years if you finance (as we did). After that, it's just maintenance fees for the next 41-42 years.

I believe the overall cost per-point we were quoted came out to about $900 per year for 51-52 years, for which you get Deluxe-or-better accomodations. Coming from mostly Value resorts, and the occasional Moderate, we were sold.

oldkeyw

1. Absolutely no regrets. One of the best things we've ever done.

2. 3-4 times a year

3. 1100 miles.

4. 400 points, 300 at Old Key West and 100 at Beach Club Villas

5. The annual pass discount is great (while it lasts)!

Ciciwoowoo

We have 250 points and go once a year. We just love it.

Our neighbor is also a member of DVC, but he is not happy with it. I think the reason he doesn't care for it is because with DVC, you have to be willing to plan your vacation ahead of time. He is a spur of the moment kind of guy, planning his trips in under a month's time. That doesn't work with the DVC, because there is never anything open, or you are forced to move around a lot during your trip.

I guess if you don't enjoy planning things ahead of time, you might want to reconsider investing in the DVC.

Hey, maybe try renting someone's points and seeing what it is like from that perspective.

Magic Maker

Ya, being a last minute person for full trips does not work. If you are local and just need a night or two last minute it is not too difficult during the slower periods.

gcbsdad

Here you go...

Do you regret buying in to the DVC? No. Not at all. We should have done this a few years ago. But alas we waited and joined in September 2005.

How often do you visit WDW? Living so close we go all of the time. Besides day trips, here is what we have with DVC so far:
Sept 2005 - 2 nights OKW 1 bedroom
Dec 2005 - 3 nights VWL 1 bedroom
Jan/Feb 2006 - 4 nights at BWV
Apr 2006 - 3 nights at SSR

How far away from WDW do you live? I live just east of Tampa, Fl so we can be at the TTC in about 1 hour.

How many points do you own? 160 at SSR

Yellow Shoes

Disclaimer: I am not a DVC owner, and probably never will be, for various uninteresting reasons.

Everyone here is happy with their purchase, which is a good thing.

One issue, however, is that no one can predict the future. The number of people selling their points on the resale market is testament to the fact that life changes, and trips to WDW don't always fit into the realities of life.

I would guess that most people selling their points were happy with them, and are selling because
the kids grew up
a divorce forced a liquidation of assets
death of a spouse meant the end of vacations
job situation changed--loss of a job, transfer to somewhere farther from Florida, etc.

Unforeseen life changes should NOT be the reason you don't buy, however.

If your gut says, "do it," then write that check and love your new status as an owner.

And remember that should re-sale be necessary, Disney keeps the value of the points artifically high.

hcswingfield

I wish they sold a shorter-term version for those of us who are over 50.

As far as your questions, I'm not an owner and can't respond, and even if I could, don't think it would be possible for me to be straight with ANYBODY!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lookaroun

tracyandalex

please help us

hey all,

we have also been considering buying for a few years now. one question we have is - have any of you used the points to stay somewhere besides wdw? how have you liked those places and what places were they?
we love wdw, but we also want to travel other places and are really cosidering buying a timeshare with someone so, disney is of course our first choice.
and if it's not too much to ask, why did you join?
one more, can you stay in other disney resorts that aren't part of dvc (besides just paying for them)?

thanks in advance

tracy & alex

patelaine1953

My husband and I just bought into DVC in 2003. I am now 53 and he will be 58 in Sept. We visited in Sept. 2004 with family ( of us in all) and stayed 7 nights in a 2 BR at BWV. We spent 5 nights in a 1 BR at OKW in Apr. 2005 and 4 nights at OKW in a studio in Dec. 2005. We just spent another 5 nights this past Mar. but we booked 2 studios (one for us and one for sister-in-law and her husband). We were split 2 nights at SSR and 3 at OKW. (I like OKW best because of the size of the rooms.) We've already used our 150 pts. this year (that's all we got) but my sister-in-law and her husband decided to purchase DVC (150 pts.) and we will be returning in Oct. 2006 for the International Food and Wine Festival. We'll be staying for 5 nights at that time. We are making tentative plans to visit HHI next year (not certain of dates yet). We have never regretted the decision to buy and do wish we had done it sooner. When we purchased 3 years ago, my sister-in-law didn't think it was a good idea but look where they are now. By the way, she's 54 and her husband is 64. They have definitely purchased with an eye to travelling to non-Disney destinations. I have a friend who has used her points and stayed at Lake George, NY as well as Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada. She loved the opportunity to visit these places (especially after 9/11 when so many were afraid to fly). They drove to both places with 3 children. They kids had loads of fun!

Only you can decide if this is for you. It does cost less than a new car would and is good for a lot more years than that car would keep running!

cobbler

Peachyyy said:
I'm sure you've had this question asked a million times, and sorry if i'm repeating.

My husband and I have been considering buying into the DVC for several years. We went on the tour in '04...and haven't been able to decide yet.

Could some DVC members answer some questions?

Do you regret buying in to the DVC?
NO

How often do you visit WDW?
once a year, sometimes 2x a year but we bought points to stay one full week a year

How far away from WDW do you live?
About 1200 miles on way, in MI

How many points do you own? (if that's not too personal of a question :confused: )

Magic Maker

Once again, if you have been knocking it around, please make sure you educate yourself on DVC through the official source itself.

When you are at WDW, GO TO THE OPEN HOUSE!!!!!! The whole purpose of the Open House is so that you don't have to spend hours and hours online trying to find information. You get it all there in about an hour depending on what questions you have.

If you are not coming to WDW anytime in the next few months go to www.disneyvacationclub.com it does not tell you everything you need to know, the Open House is the best for that, but it's something.

typhoonguy

Magic Maker said:
Once again, if you have been knocking it around, please make sure you educate yourself on DVC through the official source itself.

When you are at WDW, GO TO THE OPEN HOUSE!!!!!! The whole purpose of the Open House is so that you don't have to spend hours and hours online trying to find information. You get it all there in about an hour depending on what questions you have.

If you are not coming to WDW anytime in the next few months go to www.disneyvacationclub.com it does not tell you everything you need to know, the Open House is the best for that, but it's something.

I second magic maker's opinion. The open house will answer all of these questions you ask and more. It really doesn't take long at all and will truly fill you in on everything you need/want to know. There's a lot of information, and it's best to get it straight from the source.

fotogenieguy

I also agree with Magic Maker and typhoonguy. My wife and I were skeptical but had all our questions answered at the open house. There was no pressure and they showed all the financial stuff up front.

My family and I have thoroughly enjoyed our trips over the past years and this year has been the best. We got annual pass and have been to the park four times this year. Living in Georgia is close enough to let us be fortunate to go. We have stayed at OKW and SSR and loved each. Since becoming DVC members, we have seen the park in each of the seasons, even Christmas time which is probably the most magical. We look forward to going to other parks and other destinations once the children are older.

disneycop

They're pointing you in the right direction...

If you haven't already acquired the dvc info packet and dvd, that would be a great start. I would do as they have implied and attend an open house, if that is not possible, then go to the aforementioned link and request the info. It will arrive in the mail,shortly thereafter, and it is a very informative presentation. We spent over a year researching the benefits and comparing the extended costs of yearly vacations compounded by inflation.
I am incredibly satisfied with dvc and take comfort with the fact that I will also have the ability to provide a graduation gift and hopefully a honeymoon(a little early for that yet) in Disney for both of my boys.:cool:

Peachyyy said:
Do you regret buying in to the DVC?
Not at all.

Peachyyy said:
How often do you visit WDW?
2-3 times per year.

Peachyyy said:
How far away from WDW do you live?
We travel from Massachusetts. A 2.5-3 hour plane ride.

Peachyyy said:
How many points do you own? (if that's not too personal of a question :confused: )
Gulp. More than 700. We plan on alternating years with the Cruise Line. (and yet, we haven't made it to the boat! *AND* we're staying once for cash this year. We must be beyond nuts.)

Tina O

Dvc

Hi, My husband and I became DVC members in 2003. We do not regret it at all! We visit WDW 2-4 times a year. We absolutely love going to WDW . We live in a little town in Pennsylvania.
We sometimes drive to WDW, we like to do that to. We have 250 points.

:animwink:

Main Street USA

HauntedPirate said:
Think of the costs this way:

The cost is higher in the first 10 years if you finance (as we did). After that, it's just maintenance fees for the next 41-42 years.

I believe the overall cost per-point we were quoted came out to about $900 per year for 51-52 years, for which you get Deluxe-or-better accomodations. Coming from mostly Value resorts, and the occasional Moderate, we were sold.

Yes, but see, I read this post and say.....I can stay on property at WDW cheaper than $900 for a weeks stay with no problem whatsoever, so why lock myself into $900 bucks a year? And the $900 a year is spread out. It's, realistically, much more expensive for the first ten years to finance.

I only sleep in my hotel, the "World" is too big to spend the day there, and there are too many other discounts out there for non-DVC members for those to be that big of a deal.

The main difference between DVC and non-DVC seems to be whether or not you're forced into spending around $1000 (or more) on your hotel stay alone.

I'm going for a week this summer during reg. season, and spending less than $1500 for the whole week, for EVERYTHING. That's pretty difficult to do with the DVC.

............but hey, if I'm wrong here, I want to hear about it. Just trying to play devil's advocate to get a few more "convince me" posts from the one's who know all about the DVC, ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom