Be Our Guest Review

bdearl41

Original Poster
Overpriced and overcooked. I was really dissapointed in the quality of the food here. Sure the atmosphere was fantastic, and its a beautiful restaurant. But outside of the grey stuff, and the mussels, everything was sub par. If you go here, go for Lunch, Dinner is way overpriced! And whatever you do avoid the Pork Chop. I cook a better Pork Chop almost every single week at my home. IT was way too dry!

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Sorry you had a bad experience. We had a very good meal there for dinner. My 8-year old is a big mussels guy(don't ask me how or why, I have no idea) and he thought they were good. I thought the prices were pretty "reasonable" by Disney standards.
In my opinion, I think a lot of people go to be our guest with unreasonable expectations. It's a restaurant in a Disney theme park, if you're expecting it to be much more than just decent you'll likely be disappointed. If you want a good meal at Disney (yet arguably still over priced) you really need to stick with the resort restaurants, particularly signatures.

wdwstateofmind

In my opinion, I think a lot of people go to be our guest with unreasonable expectations. It's a restaurant in a Disney theme park, if you're expecting it to be much more than just decent you'll likely be disappointed. If you want a good meal at Disney (yet arguably still over priced) you really need to stick with the resort restaurants, particularly signatures.
I'd have to agree...I feel people talk about it like it should be the California Grill when it's not even considered a signature restaurant...I'm expecting more of CInderella Royal table (lets face it, this really isn't signature and the food tastes the same) in extents of food since most MK restaurants are more about theme and not food

bdearl41

Original Poster
To be fair I love French Cuisine, and dinner their simply is not French Cuisine. i think that is why i was dissapointed. Also the other days we ate at Marrakesh, Flying Fish the two nights before, so my expectations had been increased.

bdearl41

Original Poster
Also dont understand why Coq au vin is only on the lunch menu. it is the quentessential French meal. I have heard Lunch is much better, just wished we had went for Lunch.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Ive actually heard reviews like yours a lot lately. Maybe the staff is burnt out... fully booked, non-stop, for months...maybe they are slacking off. I do have a reservation booked for Sept. Personally the food doesn't look 5 star or 4 star IMO but I know Im just going for the atmosphere so I dont think Ill be too disappointed.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Generally agree - but don't forget about the Brown Derby: an HONEST SIG - the only HONEST Sig within Park boundaries.
Given that that the BD can perform in a difficult atmosphere (for a great restaurant) - I still find it sad that WDW created such a WONDERFUL building with BOG, then decided to fill it with poor offerings :(.
Yes the Brown Derby is an exception to the rule. Although they gave us quite a scare for awhile with their all day menu. I'm happy to see they are back to being a true signature.

disneyfan1995

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your dinner experience there. Mine wasn't the best either.

I wonder what their lunch offerings are like. I've heard a lot more people enjoy that.

jw24

My understanding is BOG food is French-American for the most part or basically American food with a French twist. I've only been for lunch once and not dinner but I really enjoyed the steak sandwich with the herb butter I had. It was cooked nicely and not hard to chew and swallow. It's not a Michelin star restaurant by any stretch and like everywhere said, it's a theme park restaurant so quality will be inferior to all the top fine dining restaurants out there.

luv

To be fair I love French Cuisine, and dinner their simply is not French Cuisine. i think that is why i was dissapointed. Also the other days we ate at Marrakesh, Flying Fish the two nights before, so my expectations had been increased.
Woot! I like Marrakesh, too. :). But shhh. It's beginning to catch on a bit and we don't need it becoming popular. :)

Sorry BoG was a disappointment. Thanks for the review. :)

Overpriced and overcooked. I was really dissapointed in the quality of the food here. Sure the atmosphere was fantastic, and its a beautiful restaurant. But outside of the grey stuff, and the mussels, everything was sub par. If you go here, go for Lunch, Dinner is way overpriced! And whatever you do avoid the Pork Chop. I cook a better Pork Chop almost every single week at my home. IT was way too dry!
My pork chop seemed like it was cooked for three days! I'm with you on this review

Dad 2 M & M

Overpriced and overcooked. I was really dissapointed in the quality of the food here. And whatever you do avoid the Pork Chop. I cook a better Pork Chop almost every single week at my home. IT was way too dry!
Surprised to hear this...we had issue with the N Y Strip, and replaced it with the pork rack; pork rack was very good! N Y Strip was hit or miss.
Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your dinner experience there. Mine wasn't the best either.
Ours wasn't either...not bad, but our expectations were WAY too high! Great theme with standard Disney food ala Tony's, Mama's etc.... We will still go back at some point, and encourage anyone to try it...have to do it at least once and form your own opinion. 1 TS Value for sure!!
Generally agree - but don't forget about the Brown Derby: an HONEST SIG - the only HONEST Sig within Park boundaries.
Given that that the BD can perform in a difficult atmosphere (for a great restaurant) - I still find it sad that WDW created such a WONDERFUL building with BOG, then decided to fill it with poor offerings :(.
Agreed!! Call me "Master of the Obvious", but I see the menu change and elevation to Sig at some point, probably sooner than later!
I will give the Brown Derby another shot; we were there back in those Dark Days and it was only fair, certainly not great.....and thanks for the tip on Citrico's, we gave it a try last year; "K" was great (just as you described)!

coachwnh

Is all this based on one meal there? Maybe it was an "off day" or the chef was off his game...

'Dunno. We had lunch there one day and it was pretty good, and better than the usual park food.
Agree. We gave had dinner three times there and every time was fantastic. Have two ADRs for July and we are really excited to go again!

Dad 2 M & M

Oh, I PRAY you are right. Doing so is going to eliminate the overcrowding, and allow that wonderful BUILDING to shine. Saddly, there would be a downside... if WDW wants to be SERIOUS about something like elevating BOG to a SIG? It's likely they will have to replace Management, Chefs, and POTENTIALLY staff. It's easy to go down hill - quite another thing to go UP. Notice none of this got done at LeCellier?
I wonder if an elevation to Sig (with or without a menu change) would reduce the crowds? I imagine it might see some reduction, but nothing like Le Cellier......Le Cellier went from "impossible" to easy when it elevated. During the time it was a "split Sig", it was easy to get a (2 TS) dinner ressie, but still really tough to grab a coveted lunch (1 TS) ressie. Now it is no problem to book.
How many people would go to BoG just to see the castle, and not be that concerned about food offering and quality? I ask because we still go to CRT for breakfast every trip, and there is little, if any difference between that breakfast food and the likes of Tusker, Askerhaus, Chef Mickey's, Crystal Place, etc....
We enjoyed our experience at BoG and will return at some point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom