Be honest, how weird is it for a male to go on Solo trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanaye

that sounds wonderful....so much freedom to just wing it at the parks! id probably get lost looking at all the details i typically don't get to.

i say stop worrying about if its "weird" or not! I'm sure theres plenty of people there by themselves, and everyone needs some time to themselves, especially in their favorite place

Goofyernmost

I'll be 70 this summer. I have been going to Disney solo since my marriage ended when I was 54. I have never felt out of place or the least bit self conscious about being there. I take that back the only time I ever felt that was was if I decided to go on Pooh or some other primarily designed for children ride, but, it never was because I thought anyone felt I might be a pervert, but, because one is usually with a family of sorts. Then I remembered something that fixed it more then one direction. I didn't know anyone in those lines and no one knew me. It's even easier now that everyone has their noses glued to their electronic devices. The people in front of me think that I am with the group behind me and the people behind me think that I am with the group in front. When the group in front gets on the ride they still think I'm with those in back and since there is only one of me I usually get on right after they do and the people behind me are no more the wiser.

Second in the event that anyone thinks it is strange, as far as I am concerned, they can pound sand. What I do is none of their business and they can let their evil little minds stew in their own sick imaginations... I really don't care.

Last edited:

zurgandfriend

I am a sixty seven year old male, retired army officer who travels to Florida for consulting worked a couple of times a year and always stop at WDW for a few days. I love going solo, I eat where, and what I want, visit the attractions I want and don't have to wait for anyone. My DW is fine with this, she says "Go and enjoy, get it out of your system."

Seabasealpha1

Hi all,

I'm a 46 year old man that loves Disney and I need a nice relaxing vacation. No worries, no kids, no work, just relaxation. I want to do a WDW solo trip for 7 days. Walking around the parks and going on rides solo doesn't actually bother me, but I'm a pretty introvert person and the dining part concerns me some. Sitting down at a table alone eating. It's a little awkward and strange is all.

I mean be honest, how weird is it?
I'd do it...

If my wife wouldn't kill me for leaving them behind...

Some of the best fun I'd ever had was well before I was married and I flew solo...you get probably the most intimate experience with the atmosphere and attractions.

Even now, like this last trip we took to Disneyland, the wife took the kids back to the Candy Cane Inn, and I came back as soon as the kids and wife were napping (our kids are 3 and under) she was cool and I walked back and spent 3 or so hours touring by myself...I greatly enjoyed it...made it a habit all week while we were there!

Not weird.

bhg469

Hi all,

I'm a 46 year old man that loves Disney and I need a nice relaxing vacation. No worries, no kids, no work, just relaxation. I want to do a WDW solo trip for 7 days. Walking around the parks and going on rides solo doesn't actually bother me, but I'm a pretty introvert person and the dining part concerns me some. Sitting down at a table alone eating. It's a little awkward and strange is all.

If I had disposable income, I could see myself doing that, or more likely disneyland. I travel for work, and once a year I am down in FL for spring training typically for a little over a week. Sometimes I get a leisure day in that time and for the past 2 years I spent my day off park hopping. THis past year I was fortunate to have a cast member get me in with their pass. I probably would not have gone otherwise. I really do enjoy going around at my own pace and just taking in the scenery. A whole week there is not something I would probably enjoy doing but there isnt anything strange about it.

Funny you should mention dining... When I travel I find it awkward to sit at restaurants by myself but it helps exponentially if you're able to sit at the bar. You don't have to drink but it makes eating alone so much more comfortable. The very first work trip I took, I nervously went to a restaurant, asked to be seated and then the next couple was seated to the booth in front of my seated position... Wouldn't you know it? They were same side of the booth sitters, which I really do not understand, but they were facing my direction... So essentially it was like we were in a mega booth together.. Then I ordered, and the waitress was striking up a conversation about what i had going on, I was in town for an MLB event, and the couple overheard that they were from the same city as me...

So long story short, No, going to WDW alone is way better than being a same side of the booth sitter in my opinion. PS Ihave asked many people in the service industry what their thoughts on that is and none of them seem to get it either.

jloucks

Dude, I believe your normal is not everyone elses normality. To us, you might be weird. Thus everyone is weird. Point? There is no such thing as normal.
Why would you even say this? It's like saying "I don't go to McDonald's because a kid got molested there once." There is absolutely no stigma about doing a Disney park alone.

Sometimes I feel like people don't know what words mean. Or that maybe I don't.

I never said single males at WDW are perverts.

Lets get that right out there so the rest of what I say is based on that statement.

I never said "normal", I said "unusual" which was meant as a mathematical statement. Meaning, less than usual. As in, less than average. Which is true. Single adult males roaming WDW is the exception. Anytime you do something less than average, you are not average. Not a negative connotation necessarily, but add more information and things can shift either way.

And that brings up perverts. Not everybody that is unusual is a pervert. However, everybody that is a pervert is unusual. Therefore, from a security standpoint, anybody that behaves (get ready for it) unusually, gets attention. Is that morally right or wrong? I never said. I am just stating how society works currently.

This may ruffle your feathers, but anytime adults (esp adult males) are hanging out in places primarily for children, that sends multiple red flags. None of which are assumed true without additional evidence, but it is the start of the red flag process.

I worked security for a public place with distinct children's areas. I have dealt with countless people who liked kids a little too much. Almost EVERY SINGLE SCENARIO that I wound up having to deal with, began with an adult male, solo, in areas primarily used by children. So yes, my experience makes me a little more sensitive to solo males in kids places, and I understand this. That's why I recognize the stigma. I understand it is not fair to the unusual normal (used the word) person just chilling at WDW.

danyoung56

jloucks, I can understand how your personal experience colors your opinion. But I, as a single male park stormer, will always take offense when there is the slightest link between my behavior and a pervert's behavior. Just because there are perverts in the world, and just because some of them go to Disney parks, in no way influences me as a single park stormer. No, I didn't think you were saying that all single male park visitors were perverts. But to even bring it up is completely strange and inappropriate to me.

anchorman314

I wouldn't worry about it. Disney is even making a movie about this very scenario!
1516998740830.png

jloucks

jloucks, I can understand how your personal experience colors your opinion. But I, as a single male park stormer, will always take offense when there is the slightest link between my behavior and a pervert's behavior. Just because there are perverts in the world, and just because some of them go to Disney parks, in no way influences me as a single park stormer. No, I didn't think you were saying that all single male park visitors were perverts. But to even bring it up is completely strange and inappropriate to me.

This whole thread started, and is based on, this whole "is it weird" premise. So, dissecting why some would think it weird makes sense in that context.

Think of it another way. It is 84 degrees outside. You are from a hot place, or are just cold natured, and so you decide to wear a giant parka coat into Target. You are now exhibiting behavior that is very common with shoplifters. Does that make you a shoplifter? No, of course not. But, that does get the attention of security and you are going to get a little more attention from them. As the coat wearer, you can take offense, but that doesn't change the fact that you are now acting unusual and could end up with your very own security detail following you around the store. Until you fail to exhibit any of the other characteristics of shoplifters.

Clamman73

Hi all,

Usually on my own unless my parents or sisters can plan to be there at the same time but that's rare.

MaximumEd

I took a solo cruise once when I was young and single. Had a blast. My wife and daughter have left me at Epcot alone more than once, because they know I geek out on the place. I’d go for it in a second.

R W B

As a 30yr old male with no kids, I wouldn't do it. Now I do go places by myself for business but I would be too weirded out at WDW I think. Its sad to say but in this day and age I do worry about what others think of me. I even hesitate going to my nieces dance and cheer comps if I don't walk in with either my wife or sister. Now I have hit up a couple of the resort bars by myself but being a bar with no kids, I feel fine. Honestly though, if I saw a guy walking by themselves at WDW I wouldn't think much of it, just think he was away from his family.

CaptainAmerica

When I was local, I used to visit the parks all of the time by myself. Even if I didn't go on any rides or anything, I'd hang out and do my homework or read a book (I was in an MBA program at the time). My wife worked nights and weekends so it was a good way to kill a few hours.

That said, I don't think I'd ever do a full-on trip by myself. The value of visiting Disney with my family is far greater than Disney for Disney's sake. And not just Disney, I don't think I'd ever like to go on vacation by myself, regardless of destination.

danyoung56

Honestly though, if I saw a guy walking by themselves at WDW I wouldn't think much of it, just think he was away from his family.

And that's exactly the point. There are enough reasons why a single male would be there that the average person would find nothing unusual about it. As someone who has visited WDW twice a year and DL twice a year for over 20 years, I've never once been made to feel unusual or uncomfortable.

jloucks

I don't think a single male visiting WDW is as unusual as you suggest.

The observation I would make based on what I see (since there is really nothing else) is 1% or less of the visitors are solo males above 21. That pretty unusual.

However, spin it another way, the number of single males over 21, might be less unusual than I suggest. I dunno. Number -vs- percent are two total different topics.

This board is a fairly terrible place to poll for this sort of info since everybody here is a tiny minority of WDW visitors. We are all weird in that regard. Kinda all Disney fanatics.

We are the trekkies of WDW. Do you think trekkies are weird?

cjack300zx

47 and took my first solo trip back in October. To be honest I was very nervous about the whole trip until I got to Disney world and then the excitement took over and never once became nervous or felt awkward the whole time I was there, I even had a sit down reservation for 1 at the diamond horseshoe that was awesome. The only person who really knew that I was there on a solo trip was me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom