Bay Lake v. Saratoga

pooh071567

Hi-

We are headed to WDW in October for a family trip. We are torn between staying at Bay Lake or Saratoga. Advice, pros and/or cons for either resort?

bmarkelon

I will give you some pros for BLT. We haven't stayed at SSR so I don't know much about it. Anyways, it's hard to beat BLT due to it's location. Walkway to MK, connected to CR so therefore connected to monorail and great dining options. It's quieter than most resorts due to needing your KTTW to get into he building itself and the pool area. You have the option to use both the BLT pool or hop over to the CR pool. Quick and easy access to viewing Wishes if you aren't actually in the park.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Bay Lake Towers has access to Contemporary and all its amenities. Walking distance to the MK. Great views of the MK and Bay Lake. On the monorail so you have access to Poly & GF easily. Ferry rides to WL & FW and THEIR amenities. Nice new pool area. Major con: Bus service to the rest of the parks can be, according to what I've heard, a bit lacking. Some people don't dig the decor. If you're staying in the Studio, they're amongst the smallest.

Saratoga, you're walking distance to Downtown Disney, plenty of restaurants/dining options, Disneyquest and great for the shopaholics. 2 nice big pool areas, one of them really new, plus a smattering of quiet pools. Quieter. By being so close to Downtown Disney, you're also close to bus service that'll take you to any other Disney resort; if you like to visit or dine at other resorts and you don't have your own car, that can be invaluable (of course, BLT has the same option being so close to the MK, but once you're that close to MK who wants to take a bus to another resort :D ). Also closer to at least some "nightlife" venues if you've a mind for less theme park-ish entertainment (Cirque, performers at Bongos or Raglan Road or House of Blues, the movie theater). Great spa on premises. Treehouse Villas if you've a mind to be really remote. Turf Club is a pretty nice restaurant that rarely gets too busy to take walk-ins. Close to golf courses if you play. Cons: It's really big and spread out. The food court (Artists' Palette) often gets packed. Same deal with buses (at least you're rarely sharing with other resorts, but that's because Saratoga's so big there are like 5 bus stops within its route). The theme of the resort is more muted compared to most other resorts (but then again, so is Contemporary, which some people describe as resembling an assisted living community highrise); however, it's still very pleasant, and some people don't like getting hit in the head with Disney 24/7

I think what you choose will depend a lot on what you want out of a trip. If you're traveling with really little ones, I'd suspect walking distance to the MK would trump everything, but older kids/teenagers might prefer being close to the giant mall that is Downtown Disney. If you're park commandos you may prefer BLT; if you prefer a more relaxed pace of a trip, or someone wants a spa treatment, being in SSR would seem more suitable.

Final caveat, both being DVC resorts, it will probably be easier to book at SSR over BLT, especially since October's "only" 9 months away, so a lot of BLT members will have booked trips already (whereas SSR, for all it has to offer, tends to book later, with more members who call it a "home" resort looking to switch at the 7 month window). If you're not a DVC member, paying cash for your room, I'd suggest trying to book sooner rather than later so you have a better chance of getting either of them.

Upvote 0

pooh071567

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the detail. You have certainly given us lots to think about. I did read quite a few reviews on BLT and they were not as good as I would have liked. Most folks did not like the walkway from the Contemporary and the fact that they needed the KTTW cards to enter. We are not DVC members, however, my sister is and this is her home resort so she will be stay at BLT in October. We thought it would be nice to stay at the same resort. I'm starting to rethink that.

As far as booking, we did find out that DVC members will rent their points which would significantly reduce the cost of staying at either resort so we are looking into this option as well.

Bay Lake Towers has access to Contemporary and all its amenities. Walking distance to the MK. Great views of the MK and Bay Lake. On the monorail so you have access to Poly & GF easily. Ferry rides to WL & FW and THEIR amenities. Nice new pool area. Major con: Bus service to the rest of the parks can be, according to what I've heard, a bit lacking. Some people don't dig the decor. If you're staying in the Studio, they're amongst the smallest.

Saratoga, you're walking distance to Downtown Disney, plenty of restaurants/dining options, Disneyquest and great for the shopaholics. 2 nice big pool areas, one of them really new, plus a smattering of quiet pools. Quieter. By being so close to Downtown Disney, you're also close to bus service that'll take you to any other Disney resort; if you like to visit or dine at other resorts and you don't have your own car, that can be invaluable (of course, BLT has the same option being so close to the MK, but once you're that close to MK who wants to take a bus to another resort :D ). Also closer to at least some "nightlife" venues if you've a mind for less theme park-ish entertainment (Cirque, performers at Bongos or Raglan Road or House of Blues, the movie theater). Great spa on premises. Treehouse Villas if you've a mind to be really remote. Turf Club is a pretty nice restaurant that rarely gets too busy to take walk-ins. Close to golf courses if you play. Cons: It's really big and spread out. The food court (Artists' Palette) often gets packed. Same deal with buses (at least you're rarely sharing with other resorts, but that's because Saratoga's so big there are like 5 bus stops within its route). The theme of the resort is more muted compared to most other resorts (but then again, so is Contemporary, which some people describe as resembling an assisted living community highrise); however, it's still very pleasant, and some people don't like getting hit in the head with Disney 24/7

I think what you choose will depend a lot on what you want out of a trip. If you're traveling with really little ones, I'd suspect walking distance to the MK would trump everything, but older kids/teenagers might prefer being close to the giant mall that is Downtown Disney. If you're park commandos you may prefer BLT; if you prefer a more relaxed pace of a trip, or someone wants a spa treatment, being in SSR would seem more suitable.

Final caveat, both being DVC resorts, it will probably be easier to book at SSR over BLT, especially since October's "only" 9 months away, so a lot of BLT members will have booked trips already (whereas SSR, for all it has to offer, tends to book later, with more members who call it a "home" resort looking to switch at the 7 month window). If you're not a DVC member, paying cash for your room, I'd suggest trying to book sooner rather than later so you have a better chance of getting either of them.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
It'll be cheaper (probably significantly so) to stay at SSR.

That being said, if you can swing it, I'd go for BLT. The rooms are some of the nicest on property, it's location can't be beat, and it's got great restaurants both on the property and nearby.

SSR is my "home resort" but I don't ever plan on staying there. The place feels like a retirement community to me. It's not very active at all, and most times it's dead, dead, dead. I feel like there should be plastic over the furniture. Aside from its massive size, there's a reason it's almost always available, and that most members look to hightail it out of there when their 7 month window opens up.

Upvote 0

rjwalter

Saragtoga Owner Also

I'm also DVC with Saratoga being my home resort. I have stayed there twice since being a member. It's a very nice resort and very quiet. However, as already said the layout is tremendous. If your closer to Downtown Disney then it seems like your miles away from the main lobby and artist palate. I'm actually staying at BLT when I go down this weds. so I will see how it is. My son is 4 now so we wanted to stay close to MK and the monorail. I can tell you that I just read that BLT is the fastest booking resort on property. We booked at our 7 month window and were just able to get the one bedroom we were looking for. I think mr. magoo summed it up pretty good. Good luck with your decison.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom