Bay Lake Tower.... as sweet as it looks?

Magicstylerz

Just recently got back from WDW and can't get over how cool the new (since i've last been to disney) Bay Lake resort looks! I stayed at Saratoga all week and it was awesome, but it would be nice to be a little closer to Magic Kingdom. Has anyone stayed @ Bay Lake? Loved it? Hated it? Share your experiences :)

MissM

Stayed in a 1 bedroom suite a couple years ago. Really enjoyed it. The thing I didn't like is that the "Bay Lake view" rooms are not all truly lake view. Because the backside of the building curves inward (like a C) most of the rooms have a 90/10 split of view if that - 90% building view and 10% lake view. So to me, it wasn't worth the extra money for that upgrade.

Conversely I would say the Theme Park View IS worth it and I wish I would have booked that.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Haven't stayed, but have visited friends staying in a studio. I found it to be somewhat small compared to the other DVC resort studios. BLT really isn't my kind of resort though, so I don't mind passing it over.

Upvote 0

baymenxpac

staying there this august with a magic kingdom view for my honeymoon, so i will definitely report back.

last time my fiancee and i were there, they let us look around the facilities (because we're DVC members and we played the "just engaged" card) and it was wonderful.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In regards to the decor I hove found that either people love it or hate it. It is done with a very clean but cold design. Personally I love it but I know quite a few people who do not. About the biggest con to the place is the lack of pretty much anything in the resort other that rooms and a pool with a snack bar. You will have to trek to the Contemporary for restaurants, shopping, etc.

Upvote 0

jmb2676

We liked it, but didn't love it. I thought the rooms were a little small compared to some of the other DVC resorts that we have stayed in. The studio seemed especially small, the 2br was about what we expected. Overall, it was a good experience but I probably wouldn't stay there again.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I find the rooms to be among the nicest on the property, but if you like some completely immersive theme like you get at the Poly, it's not for you. The rooms are very, well, contemporary. Lots of clean lines, very uncluttered.

The member lounge on the top floor is great and provides excellent views. However, it's guarded more closely than Fort Knox. You have to be a DVC member or a guest of a DVC member (and the member must be with you- you can't meet them there) to get in.

As Richard mentioned, the biggest drawback is the lack of many amenities at the resort.

Upvote 0

epcot2004

We stayed at BLT last November. Other than the location we did not like it at all. The room (studio) was tiny, most of the furniture had some obvious damage, and having the bathroom sink in the kitchenette was ridiculous. We knew of the size of the room and the bathroom sink situation long before we arrived and thought we could get past it. I could not believe the poor condition of the room for such a new property. Also, it might seem wierd but walking thru the lobby seeing no front desk and usually no people gave off a strange vibe. It did not seem very 'Disney' to us. Looking back on this we should have moved, the room bothered us every day we were there. I would much rather put the money in to WL which we love.

Upvote 0

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I find the rooms to be among the nicest on the property, but if you like some completely immersive theme like you get at the Poly, it's not for you. The rooms are very, well, contemporary.

I find it strange that many people that I have talk with stay at the DVC annex to the Comtemporary Resort and find they do not like the the rooms becuase they are so "Comtemporary". Duh!

I stayed there last year with the MK view and loved watching the fireworks from the room.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I find it strange that many people that I have talk with stay at the DVC annex to the Comtemporary Resort and find they do not like the the rooms becuase they are so "Comtemporary". Duh!

I stayed there last year with the MK view and loved watching the fireworks from the room.
You are not the only one that finds that strange.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Me too.

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

About the biggest con to the place is the lack of pretty much anything in the resort other that rooms and a pool with a snack bar. You will have to trek to the Contemporary for restaurants, shopping, etc.

I know you don't have a problem with it Yoda, because you're a big fan of BLT.

But when did going down an elevator and across a bridge become a "trek"??

You'd have to be pretty "lazy" or "out of shape" to have that short walk be a negative.:animwink:

Upvote 0

ncstate7991

Pros:
*You can walk to the MK in less than 10 minutes! This is a huge pro.
*Easy access to the monorail
*Easy and quick access to the Contemporary
*1BR and larger are a average size rooms
*Clean/Contemporary style (if you like that)
*Quiet pool with an okay slide

Cons:
*Studio is small
*More sterile (less Disney)
*Need to go to Contemporary for food/transportation/etc
*Furniture is either cheap or taking use poorly
*Non-MK views are truly standard
*High point per night stay-DVC or High price per night stay-Cash
*Studio bathroom sink used to be in kitchen area this is now fixed.

I liked it if you stay in a 1 BR or higher, can get it during the value season and get a standard room. The ability to not have to worry about the MK rushes was soooo worth it especially if you spend a lot of time at the MK! A studio would be fine if it was a short trip or just two people in the room.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know you don't have a problem with it Yoda, because you're a big fan of BLT.

You'd have to be pretty "lazy" or "out of shape" to have that short walk be a negative.:animwink:
Trying to place quantifiable a distance to the word "trek" would be an exercise if futility. The simple fact is that most resorts have their amenities located in the resort. BLT does not and I believe that this is somewhat of a legitimate gripe (even if it is not an issue to me) as it is rather inconvenient. If it was not one of Disney's high end resorts I might give it a pass but it is one of Disney's top of the line resorts. IMHO building this resort in this manner would have been the equivalent of building the Yacht and Beach club with no check in desk or restaurants with the thought that guests could simply walk over to the Boardwalk.(and before someone mentions it I know Y&B club were built first) At the very least I feel BLT should at least have a QS restaurant and it's own check in desk.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Isn't one of the perks of being a DVC member the ability to "skip the front desk"? I thought they advertised that as an amenity.

I don't know, though, I'm not a DVC member.

Upvote 0

MissM

It is a bit of an inconvenience even though I too really like BLT. If you just want a soda or a cookie or something, it's out the door, down the hall, wait for an elevator, down to the 5th floor, out across the sky bridge, into the Contemp and through the level to the quick serve and/or store. And back. It's just...a bit much for a little snack. And, if you wanted your snack/meal in your room, well...then you have to do all that AND carry your tray with you. :lol: People laugh at you in the elevator doing that.

It's not a HUGE deal but it is a bit of an annoyance and a little short-sighted on the planning department in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Sammyste

Seems like more of an extension of the Contemporary more than its own resort. Even if that's what it's meant to be, not having a place to eat is one of the stupidest designing flaws Disney has ever come up with.

Upvote 0

ncstate7991

It is a bit of an inconvenience even though I too really like BLT. If you just want a soda or a cookie or something, it's out the door, down the hall, wait for an elevator, down to the 5th floor, out across the sky bridge, into the Contemp and through the level to the quick serve and/or store. And back. It's just...a bit much for a little snack. And, if you wanted your snack/meal in your room, well...then you have to do all that AND carry your tray with you. :lol: People laugh at you in the elevator doing that.

It's not a HUGE deal but it is a bit of an annoyance and a little short-sighted on the planning department in my opinion.

I am totally with you, but some might argue that some of the Boardwalk rooms are just as far if not further from The BW Bakery (closest QS) than BLT rooms are from Contemporary QS restaurant. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

MissM

I am totally with you, but some might argue that some of the Boardwalk rooms are just as far if not further from The BW Bakery (closest QS) than BLT rooms are from Contemporary QS restaurant. :lookaroun
Is it? I've never stayed at Boardwalk. I don't stay over a lot since I live an hour away. But We did splurge on BLT for our anniversary once.

Upvote 0

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Isn't one of the perks of being a DVC member the ability to "skip the front desk"? I thought they advertised that as an amenity.

I don't know, though, I'm not a DVC member.

well how are you supposed to get your room key, or the welcome package? You don't know what room you are going to get until they check you in. There is also online check-in now, but it seems to take just as long

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom