Barnum and Ogryn's Magic Stealth Mini-Meet

barnum42

Original Poster
The sun continued to shine in England after a night of thunder and lighting in my corner of the country, which did nothing to aid my sleep prior to a two-hour drive to Thorpe Park. But then Dave just had to deal with stifling heat prior to his twenty-minute drive to Thorpe Park.

The purpose of the visit – aside for meeting up for the first time after many long months of infantile online sniggering and double-entdres was to ride the new coast Stealth. Planning it on a work day during school term meant short queues of about 5 minutes or so for most rides.

Along the way we encountered many wonderful thing:

The entrance – Main Street Station it ain’t

yi3dq6.jpg

Additional themeing past the turnstiles and down from the walkway was a random American Fire Car. Purpose unknown.

yi3drs.jpg

Whilst you should not go comparing a regular theme park to Disney, you just can’t help it:

Kali Lite

yi3dqx.jpg

Burger King Frontierland Style

yi3dqm.jpg

Main Street Emporium
yi3dq2.jpg

Checkout the rot and decay on that sign! Also, photos can not do justice to sheer awfulness of the products available to purchase inside. The most classy thing in there was a fake dog turd.

On the plus side they have some fun coasters there:

The Protein Spill:

yi3dqu.jpg

Nemesis Inferno was one ride we had a ten minute delay waiting to board “for cleaning purposes”. It’s a short ride, but it throws you around a lot. Dave spotted a Guinness Book Of Records Certificate in the control booth – for most naked people on a roller coaster. I don’t see that ever being beaten on Expedition Everest!

Colossus

yi3dqo.jpg

This was the world’s first ten-inversion coaster.

There are a bunch of them here:

yi3dqs.jpg

What really works on this corkscrew section is that is slows down for it!

This metal pyramid houses the mysteriously named “X:/ No Way Out”

yi3dry.jpg

It’s a coaster in the dark. But it’s no Space Mountain. The queue themeing consisted of black painted walls, scratched graffiti, little light and the odd bit of silver duct tape. The Ride itself is the “World’s Only Backwards Rollercoaster”. Sad to say, it’s just plain backwards. It starts to go then stops for no reason, then starts again and stops again about four or five times. This is NOT a malfunction, it is how it was designed.

X:\ No Way Again gets the B&O Double Thumbs Down Worst Excuse For A Roller Coaster Ever Award

yi3dqp.jpg

barnum42

Original Poster
The Whirly Nad Whacker

yi3dq9.jpg

Dave had a problem with this one. Well, two problems to be physiologically accurate. His voice rose in pitch both times we rode it.

In keeping with the vogue of 3D Movies, Thorpe Park Presents “Pirates 4D”. An incredibly bland tale with Lesley and Eric Idle taking the money and running again for another theme park 3D movie. It even had an animatronic parrot out the front – but it was broken. And another by the screen welcoming the audience, it’s voice worked, but it did not move a feather.

Here I am pondering whether to sit through the whole thing. There is only so much mileage you can get out of Lesley Nielson knocking people over!

yi3dr1.jpg

As well as Kali Light and a standard log flume (made famous when Princess Diana was photographed riding it with her sons) they have Tidal Wave. It does what it says on the tin. Witness one Soggy Oggy:

yi3dqa.jpg

That huge wave behind him hides another batch of hapless victims “enjoying” this attraction. There is a ride vehicle somewhere in the midst of all that.

And then a surprise. We found whom Disney must have sold the old Mr Toad cars to:

yi3dqf.jpg

yi3dq5.jpg

Wow – you’d think those people would look happier riding a piece of Disney History. But then again, you would not blame them after witnessing the joys of this ride – Miss Hippos Fungle Safari

Dave took the wheel with aggression

yi3dqq.jpg

I just hammed it up

yi3dqw.jpg

This ride is a cross between Mr Toad’s Wild Ride, The Tikki Rooms, The Jungle Cruise and one of those Kidcot activity tables:

The stunning themeing:

yi3dqn.jpg

yi3dqd.jpg

The confused Tikki Gods

yi3dqb.jpg

barnum42

Original Poster
The Temple Statue with Sharpie eyes

yi3dqg.jpg

And the inarticulate characters

yi3dr5.jpg

The most stunning being this giraffe which had obviously fallen over and nobody could be bothered to fix it, so it had been propped up against a tree, facing away from direction of travel :lol:

yi3dqh.jpg

Anyhue – on to Stealth, rising majestically above the tree tops: As it’s new it had some teething problems. More than once it was out of order, but we still got to try it a few times/

yi3dq0.jpg

The stats say it all – faster with greater acceleration than Rock and Roller and higher than Tower of Terror:

yi3dr2.jpg

This was gonna’ be good

yi3drf.jpg

yi3dqt.jpg

Stealth had the longest queue of the day – about 20 minutes was the most we waited.

yi3dr3.jpg

Here is a panoramic shot. The tall structure in the background is not Stealth, it’s the high point of the Soggy Oggy ride.

yi3dqi.jpg

barnum42

Original Poster
The chariot awaits:

yi3dq8.jpg

Locked and loaded:
yi3dqj.jpg

2.3 Seconds of blur and you are up to 80MPH

yi3dq7.jpg

Dave got a video of it on his mobile – here’s the link

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/ogryn/?action=view&current=060612_140459.flv

Stealth is well worth a look. It must be one of the shortest coasters in terms of length. I timed it – from take off to return it was thirty seconds. Half of that happens after the brakes are applied. But what a great launch and the drop is fantastic.

All in all, a great day out in the sunshine.

AndyP

Looks like Thorpe Park is worth a visit one day.

Also, isn't Eric Idle supposed to be doing/have done a Pirates 4D for Busch Gardens? I hope its a different version after your report!

ogryn

AndyP said:
Looks like Thorpe Park is worth a visit one day.

Also, isn't Eric Idle supposed to be doing/have done a Pirates 4D for Busch Gardens? I hope its a different version after your report!

I think it's the same one.

TowerOfTerror

Colossus looks sick !
I'm not that big of a fan of Intamin Rocket coasters if you ask me. I sure hope they have better reliability on Stealth then its United States counter parts. Thanks for the report :wave:

barnum42

Original Poster
ogryn said:
I think it's the same one.
That explains why the budget looked beyond Thorpe Park's pocket and the lead kid being American.
TowerOfTerror said:
Colossus looks sick !
I'm not that big of a fan of Intamin Rocket coasters if you ask me. I sure hope they have better reliability on Stealth then its United States counter parts. Thanks for the report :wave:
Stealth was broken on about three of the occasions we went to ride it.

minnie2000

Barnum42, I love your posts, and the photos are great, but I can never see all your photos. I see some of them, and then get little blue boxes with question marks. Does anyone know what I can do about this?:confused:

barnum42

Original Poster
minnie2000 said:
Barnum42, I love your posts, and the photos are great, but I can never see all your photos. I see some of them, and then get little blue boxes with question marks. Does anyone know what I can do about this?:confused:
Sounds like your connection is slow and it "gives up" after a while. If you right-click one of the boxes you may find an option along the lines of "show picture" that may let you see them.

tenchu

Good man.

How would you compare Thorpe Park to Alton Towers?

Not been to Thorpe yet, although it is on the list of things to do. Eventually.

minnie2000

barnum42 said:
Sounds like your connection is slow and it "gives up" after a while. If you right-click one of the boxes you may find an option along the lines of "show picture" that may let you see them.
Thanks - now I can see them! I can also look back at the pictures of Bramble that I couldn't see before!

barnum42

Original Poster
tenchu said:
Good man.

How would you compare Thorpe Park to Alton Towers?

Not been to Thorpe yet, although it is on the list of things to do. Eventually.
Og is better suited to answer than one - it's been years since I went to Alton Towers.

One thing I can say is that Thorope is smaller in land size - the rides are not as spread out as in Alton Towers.

Gucci65

Is that really the name of the ride? Whirly Nad Whacker????:lol:

They have something similiar at the traveling carnivals here that my daughter loves to ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom