Banksy Stunt

ERich2010

This guy is an a-hole. This doesn't accomplish an attack on an evil corporation, it just disrupts people's day. Art is often defended as a freedom of expression but most of the time people pass off crap like this as art.

thats what a lot of "Exit Through The Giftshop" is about; at what point is art no longer considered art. pretty cool documentary if you ever get a chance to watch it.

and the fact that it upsets you/disrupts people's day means that he DID accomplish something

nothing he did was meant to be legal in any way, but it DID get people talking and it DID make a statement.

Thomas morrow

Just another anti capitalist getting rich selling things. There are far more talented people who post here than this guy. Now off to the pic of the day thread

tennisboy23

Original Poster
In all honesty, it's childish and moronic. People spend a few hundreds of dollars to go to Disneyland and they see this..? Someone could have had their whole dream vacation ruined because of the idiot you call 'Banksy'. It's not cool, and it's not funny.

I love Banksy art! It's not about his identity, it's about the message he's putting out there.

If you read some of the stories behind his pieces you'll see how clever and sneaky he is, so it's no wonder he'd do something like that.

Banksy = brilliant.

Disneyland stunt...eh...didn't really work that well.

The billboard recently in LA, though....worked pretty well...
Los-Angeles-billboard-tagged-by-Banksy-Photo-Cfris-Pizzello.jpg

I love the billboard piece! I haven't seen that yet.

And thanks, Scar, Banksy is my favorite artist. Just the fact that he got through Security, and was able to get away with it has me respect him more.

Honestly, I would love if he came to Florida, and hit up WDW.. That would be great. It's such a huge property too... he could go everywhere.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I love Banksy. He's inspired some of my guerrilla/illuminati tactics at night against the local government.

mkt

Premium Member
This guy is an a-hole. This doesn't accomplish an attack on an evil corporation, it just disrupts people's day. Art is often defended as a freedom of expression but most of the time people pass off crap like this as art.

This is closer to an act of terrorism than it is an attempt at art. The worst part about this video though is that he wasn't hit by the train.

Then define art.

What is art? WHAT?!

Tell me. :fork:

RSoxNo1

Then define art.

What is art? WHAT?!

Tell me. :fork:
I find myself looking at things that are defined as art and I just shake my head. I don't get most of it - paintings that look like someone spilled paint on a canvas line my office. For a painting, I feel that I should at least know which way to orient it when putting it on a wall.

Sculpture impresses me more than painting. This is probably part of the reason why I like the 3 dimensional world of theme parks.

As for the fact that this p***ed me off - was that his accomplishment? To disrupt people's day? If so, mission accomplished. I suppose any person guilty of breaking and entering or trespassing are also just trying to make a statement and disrupt people's day. Should they too be lauded for making a statement? As I said before, he should have been hit by the train.

mkt

Premium Member
I find myself looking at things that are defined as art and I just shake my head. I don't get most of it - paintings that look like someone spilled paint on a canvas line my office. For a painting, I feel that I should at least know which way to orient it when putting it on a wall.

Sculpture impresses me more than painting. This is probably part of the reason why I like the 3 dimensional world of theme parks.

As for the fact that this p***ed me off - was that his accomplishment? To disrupt people's day? If so, mission accomplished. I suppose any person guilty of breaking and entering or trespassing are also just trying to make a statement and disrupt people's day. Should they too be lauded for making a statement? As I said before, he should have been hit by the train.
Art is ultimately in the eye of the customer, not the artist.

I see you're traditional with what you consider art. I'm not, and I'm fortunate to have plenty of clients who think like me.

I have a feeling I'd go bankrupt selling art to you.

flynnibus

Premium Member
nothing he did was meant to be legal in any way, but it DID get people talking and it DID make a statement.

Then instead of destroying OTHER people's property.. why doesn't he just put up his own stuff or buy his own advertising?

It's all nice to be 'art' and 'message' when it's not YOUR property being destroyed.

Does Banksy ever offer to pay for the damages he causes? No - and that's why he should be thrown in jail and forced to pay for the damage to property.

It's like the guys claiming 'graffiti' is art... ok, then why don't you go and graffiti your own house then? Or pay me the damages it cost to 'move' your art or statement off my property?

RSoxNo1

Art is ultimately in the eye of the customer, not the artist.

I see you're traditional with what you consider art. I'm not, and I'm fortunate to have plenty of clients who think like me.

I have a feeling I'd go bankrupt selling art to you.

Well clearly I'm not the person you should be selling any art to. I'm sure you'd find what I decorate my house with to be quite silly, but it's things that have meaning to me - Baseball and Disney memorabilia.

Some friends of the family are excellent artists, and while I envy what they're capable of doing from an artistic standpoint and most of the paintings are of iconic items in Massachusetts, they still have little to no attachment to me.

As for the billboard with Mickey, Minnie and the model - does someone want to explain that one to me? I don't get it, but I will continue to stare at the model.

mkt

Premium Member
Well clearly I'm not the person you should be selling any art to. I'm sure you'd find what I decorate my house with to be quite silly, but it's things that have meaning to me - Baseball and Disney memorabilia.

I have plenty of those as well. I'm a huge Red Sox fan as well :)

I also have tons of Puerto Rican and other Latin American revolutionary artwork. Specifically screen prints.

As for the billboard with Mickey, Minnie and the model - does someone want to explain that one to me? I don't get it, but I will continue to stare at the model.
This part of the post is not intentionally political. It is an educated opinion based on years outside of the US and carries no intentional bias.

Disney, in particular Mickey, are viewed as symbols of American Imperialism and Capitalism by revolutionary causes around the globe. Mickey is also viewed as a symbold of American Cultural Dominance by more vast circles.

If you want to make a statement critical of the US, Mickey, with his all-American image, is a perfect symbol to deface. Among the other symbols used are Uncle Sam, the Statue of Liberty, and Bald Eagle, and the Greenback.

RSoxNo1

I have plenty of those as well. I'm a huge Red Sox fan as well :)

I also have tons of Puerto Rican and other Latin American revolutionary artwork. Specifically screen prints.

This part of the post is not intentionally political. It is an educated opinion based on years outside of the US and carries no intentional bias.

Disney, in particular Mickey, are viewed as symbols of American Imperialism and Capitalism by revolutionary causes around the globe. Mickey is also viewed as a symbold of American Cultural Dominance by more vast circles.

If you want to make a statement critical of the US, Mickey, with his all-American image, is a perfect symbol to deface. Among the other symbols used are Uncle Sam, the Statue of Liberty, and Bald Eagle, and the Greenback.

Personally, I'll just focus on the beautiful woman.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom