Bad times at WDW?

alanindy

I had a friend who back in 1990 took her family for a day to the Magic Kingdom while visiting family in the Tampa area. After all my info I provided to her, suggestions, recommendations, etc., they spent all of 4 hours in the park and left. She said.....and I quote..... "there wasn't much to do, it was too crowded, they dont have very many rides, the boys were bored and after they spent an hour in the arcade we figured it was time to go." She hadn't paid any attention to what I had told her obviously, had only wandered around main street and into Adventureland - didn't see any "rides", just what she thought were buildings with shops in them or boring theme park type stage shows, then wandered into Frontierland, rode Big Thunder Mountain, and then went back to Main Street. She didn't grab a map or anything. For a huge Disney park geek like myself, I was mortified. So even intelligent people dont always listen to advice or bother to plan. They expected a Six Flags, Paramount parks type of experience where you see the coasters, rides, etc. very visible as you walk by them (little or no theming). No matter how much I had told them, shown pictures, etc, they just didn't get it.

Disney4Eva

alanindy said:
I had a friend who back in 1990 took her family for a day to the Magic Kingdom while visiting family in the Tampa area. After all my info I provided to her, suggestions, recommendations, etc., they spent all of 4 hours in the park and left. She said.....and I quote..... "there wasn't much to do, it was too crowded, they dont have very many rides, the boys were bored and after they spent an hour in the arcade we figured it was time to go." She hadn't paid any attention to what I had told her obviously, had only wandered around main street and into Adventureland - didn't see any "rides", just what she thought were buildings with shops in them or boring theme park type stage shows, then wandered into Frontierland, rode Big Thunder Mountain, and then went back to Main Street. She didn't grab a map or anything. For a huge Disney park geek like myself, I was mortified. So even intelligent people dont always listen to advice or bother to plan. They expected a Six Flags, Paramount parks type of experience where you see the coasters, rides, etc. very visible as you walk by them (little or no theming). No matter how much I had told them, shown pictures, etc, they just didn't get it.

Oh God, that's horrible! A whole day at Magic Kingdom...wasted. Ugh, that's almost sacreligious in my family. I feel so bad for them.

swimmom

Our first trip to WDW with my daughter was a 6 day trip and we were on the go all day long. I don't think we slept past 8:00 any day even when we took advantage of an e-ride night until 1:00 a.m. We ate only counter service meals so that we could have more time in the parks (and the fact that most kids want to leave a restaurant when they are done eating even if you have half of your meal left!) We had an awesome time with her. Basically the trip was all about her. My husband and I had been before, so this was her trip.

Now years later we have a much different approach to our trips. We are still doing things that we have never done before. If we want to sleep in a day or two we do, but that would have never been an option on our first trip. We wanted to do so much with my daughter on her first trip.

WDW trips take planning if you want to get the most out of it.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
tinkish said:
Are these activities a waste of time? Or do you just mean that they should have spent more time at the park? ...cuz I've got tickets to see La Nouba...and I'm very excited!

They're all worth doing once, but not the first trip out if you don't know your way around and only have a few chances to see fireworks etc.. If you're new, stick to the parks.

If you've got La Nouba tickets, go for it, it is a good show. Just don't plan a carriage ride the night before and Hoop Dee Doo the night after if you've never seen the Fireworks.

I call these things time fillers because they are there to extend the vacation of someone who has "seen it all" like AP and DVC members for example. They're interesting and fun, but don't give up a core-entertainment offering for them if you've never expeirenced it.

AEfx

I've heard this story more times than I care to remember.

Some people expect WDW to "come to them" in a sense - once they are on-property, the don't expect to have to think or seek out anything.

I know two sisters (both in late 20's at the time, and both educated professionals) who booked a last-minute trip, stayed in the tower at the Contemporary, came in the middle of July, slept until at least noon each day, didn't make a single PS the entire time...and then came home to complain how horribly expensive the place was, how crowded it was, and how they couldn't get anything more than a fast food burger to eat.

A WDW vacation is like anything in life - you get out of it what you put in. Those two girls I mentioned thought that with zero planning, before or during their trip, going at the busiest time of year, and doing nothing to avoid the crowds felt like Disney had let them down.

I guess Disney just isn't someplace you should go for a totally mindless vacation. It's like when I read about people pooh-poohing ADR's/PS's saying, "I don't plan anything on my vacation!" While I understand the sentiment, these tend to be the same people who cry after about not getting to eat when/where they wanted. Most people don't need to be planning commandos to enjoy a WDW vacation, but making an ADR/PS once a day as a tentpole (especially since no commitment is involved) is just smart. Some people can't get past it though.

In the end, we also have to remember that WDW is not for everyone. There are people who give you "the look" when you tell them you are going back to WDW, but I've found that most people think it's wonderful that I enjoy something so much. I give people "the look" I am sure when they tell me they are spending a week on a beach in the Bahamas. The idea of sitting on a beach for a week makes me bored just thinking about it - I live about 1.5 miles from beautiful beaches and I only enjoy swimming in fresh water, so I would have nothing to do but absorb cancer rays, LOL. So I can understand why some people don't enjoy MY type of vacation.

It's sad, but what alanindy posted above isn't terribly rare - some people actually go to the MK and don't think there are very many rides because they can't "see" most of them. I really do feel bad for them!

AEfx

GenerationX

CAPTAIN HOOK said:
For the first timer, WDW is NOT a vacation, nor a holiday - WDW is an adventure and needs to be treated as such.
Very astute observation, CAPTAIN HOOK!

You've got crowds, weather, expenses, and walking distances all working against you. You need strategies to compensate.

Bosoxfan

You guys sound like you have to conquer wdw. I never plan because it sucks the life at of you. My sister planned our first trip and I had a terrible time. I just wanted to relax. I like to take my time and expirience all Disney has to offer. I never plan, I always get on the rides I want to and wake up no earlier then 10:30, and I always have a great time. You get to burnt out if you think about it too much. Just go and have a good time.

righttrack

Biggest problem I always get is people do not allow enough time for the parks. Another is that people just do rides and don't experience the attractions beyond that. And the third, and most prevalent - people sleep in!

geubux

Most people even do more planning for a vacation than they do for retirement! Guess we'll be supporting these people in 30 years.
But if everyone planned and got there early, it would make it harder on those of us who are there first thing and ride most of the attractions before noon.

We took a group this April and had them there early every morning we went to the parks. If we were there past 11pm, we took the next day off. They called me a disney nazi, but all agreed they wouldn't have seen even half of what we showed them. They called me that jokingly, I hope.

shoppingnut

I don't believe you need to be in the parks every morning when they open and I know I am in the minority on this front. We usually get up about 9, have breakfast and are in the parks about 11 which is fine for me because I always plan to be there until close or go to another park that is open later and close it. I need to have a bit of rest when I am on the go all day and walking about 15 miles. I never have a problem with seeing everything I want to see, so this plan works for me.

As for PS ressie's I firmly believe you need to plan at least the dinner ones in advance especially during peak times or ones that you particularly want to eat in while you are there. People that don't do this always complain that they weren't able to eat in any restaurants because they were full. I have no sympathy for these people because they are the same ones that were told to make PS. We sometimes don't make all of the dinner ones, leaving one or two open that we might make the week before when we know a bit more of how our schedule is going to shake out, if we're going during a slow time.

Anyone who has a bad time is generally someone who has made no plan at all, even if they are told about things or recommended books. When I go in August with my brother and his family, I have already planned our dinners each night according to EMH, but I am also not so rigid a planner, that I have no problem that if one night they decide would rather do another restaurant it would make my crazy to change it. There are some folks who are very rigid and any changes would ruin their vacation.

celticdog

righttrack said:
And the third, and most prevalent - people sleep in!

I'll be honest, I don't find anything wrong with sleeping in. We usually don't get out of bed till 8:00 am. We enjoy a nice relaxing breakfast and we may get to the parks as early as 10:30. On the last trip, we arrived typically at 11:00, which really didn't affect our ability to see attractions. Now for those going during peak season, this relaxed schedule doesn't work. We go late and stay late.

Michael72688

It is like this at all theme parks, I hear this at Universal all the time. First of all people dont always understand fastpass/express pass systems. Also I hate when I have to wait more than 10 mins for a ride and I really dont want to wait hours to go on the ride with the pass. Tourists expect their vacations to be perfect, especially with what they paid.

DisneyFreak529

A vacation is what you make of it.

That is true!

I wonder why they didn't use there fastpass, are they stupid? I went in June 2002 and it was really busy but we had our fastpasses and it was hot and I got a sunburn. I still had a great time, it was my frist trip to WDW and I had a great time.

Borf7

about disney vacations

Everything said in this thread is the problem with how Disney is running their theme parks. If you are an avid Disney fan, as many of us are, you know how to handle yourself in Walt Disney World. A person going for the first time has no idea what they're getting themselves into, and although Disney has a lot to offer a first-timer, they still should be offering much more. Too many families go to Walt Disney World and have a terrible time. The whole family is exhausted and they wind up getting nothing done anyway. Disney needs to create some type of program for people coming down for the first time. One thing they should definitely make clear is that you don't have to see every attraction. Some families can't go on a long trip and it is impossible to see everything in 4 days. The most important thing Disney should stress on a vacation is that they should enjoy the company of the people they are with, not just the fact they're in Disney World. The people you go with is what makes the trip special. That's the type of experience Disney can offer than can't simply be purchased.

tinkish

Borf7 said:
Everything said in this thread is the problem with how Disney is running their theme parks. If you are an avid Disney fan, as many of us are, you know how to handle yourself in Walt Disney World. A person going for the first time has no idea what they're getting themselves into, and although Disney has a lot to offer a first-timer, they still should be offering much more. Too many families go to Walt Disney World and have a terrible time. The whole family is exhausted and they wind up getting nothing done anyway. Disney needs to create some type of program for people coming down for the first time. One thing they should definitely make clear is that you don't have to see every attraction. Some families can't go on a long trip and it is impossible to see everything in 4 days. The most important thing Disney should stress on a vacation is that they should enjoy the company of the people they are with, not just the fact they're in Disney World. The people you go with is what makes the trip special. That's the type of experience Disney can offer than can't simply be purchased.
I think they warn people plenty....with all the planning material, cd, and dvd they send home that stress how important it is to plan and to make priority seating arrangements, and how to use the fast pass.

celticdog

Borf7 said:

Disney does do a great job of informing guests. Disney does a great job of emphasizing family. The problem is so many guests don't listen, nor do they (guests) take the time to read. We shouldn't expect Disney to "dumb down" everything. It all gets back to planning, guests could, however, hire someone to plan out their entire trip: all meals, schedules for each day, each park with specific instructions, times and places. There are many tour programs available. I think it's too much to ask Disney to create a novice program, unless they charge a fee.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
celticdog said:
Disney does do a great job of informing guests. Disney does a great job of emphasizing family. The problem is so many guests don't listen, nor do they (guests) take the time to read. We shouldn't expect Disney to "dumb down" everything. It all gets back to planning, guests could, however, hire someone to plan out their entire trip: all meals, schedules for each day, each park with specific instructions, times and places. There are many tour programs available. I think it's too much to ask Disney to create a novice program, unless they charge a fee.
I agree 100%. A couple of years ago I dropped three grand on Disney cruise tickets for myself and my family. During the eight months between when I bought the tickets and the day we left I read every article on the Disney cruise I could find. Since this was going to be the first cruise anyone in my family had taken I wanted to be somewhat prepared. All that research paid off. To this day my wife and kids still talk about those 4 days. If a family is going to drop the bank necessary to spend a week and a half in WDW and don’t bother to do any research then they are wasting there money.

lebeau

This topic reminds me of another thread currently on the boards called "people are so ignorant". I'm a little worried that we're all looking at things from the perspective of "Disney-snobs."For me, I don't have to look to far back to remember when I was a Disney novice. I had gone to Magic Kingdom once as a child and remembered very little of it. I'd been to Epcot once in high school and remembered having a really good time (with no planning and during the spring break rush no less. My parents actually dropped me (17), my brother (16) and my sister (12) off at the gates and took their other 3 kids to MK!)

So, a couple years ago I was faced with planning a honeymoon for my Mickey Mouse obssessed wife and me. She had never been to WDW, so it seemed a no-brainer. I would have been more interested in Universal being a movie fan and not a Disney fan, but I was willing to sacrifice. I did what I perceived to be a sufficient amount of research - much more than my parents had done on our previous 2 trips.

I wound up buying a package vacation using a code from my Disney Visa (which I had gotten a few months prior in anticipation of the trip) and even had time to save up enough Disney Rewards to pay for a few meals and souveniers while we were there. I went to the Disney website and got the official planning materials which I found frustratingly vague.

My best resource was my brother, who had been to WDW several times on business. The thing is, he'd spent very little time in the parks himself because he was working while he was there. He admitted being a little jealous of my good fortune to be able to go during the offseason and take in WDW at such a leisurely pace. And as a bit of a gag gift, he bought me the Birnbaum's guide.

Now, many people have mentioned all the guide books that our out there. But as a first time trip planner, it would never have occured to me that we were going to need one. Certainly, my parents had never used one for a WDW trip (although after that trip when I was 17 my dad vowed to never return). I found the Birnbaum guide to be fascinating and read it several times before the trip.

Anyone who's read the Birnbaum guides knows they are light on useful info and big on pictures and pro-Disney propaganda. It was enjoyable reading and helped give me an idea of things we might like to do and see while we were there, but it really did little to help me plan such a massive undertaking. I shudder to think what we would have missed had I not received that book as a gift. Some of the best moments of our honeymoon were a direct result of having received a gag gift from my brother.

Obviously, I had a terrific time. We were very ill-prepared and clumsy in our planning, but the parks were very slow and we weren't penalized for our ignorance. In a lot of ways, we just got lucky. The experience was so good, I became fascinated with Disney, the parks and the company's cultural legacy. My wife had fun but remains primarily just a Mickey fan. She could not care less if we ever return to the parks again.

The point of that long recounting is, sure WE know to plan, read the guides, get up early, go during the off season... etc, etc, etc. But to the first time Disney goer, there is nothing whatsoever to indicate that this will be anything more complex than a trip to the local amusement park. And Disney itself sure isn't going to let on otherwise.

lebeau

tinkish said:
Are these activities a waste of time? Or do you just mean that they should have spent more time at the park? ...cuz I've got tickets to see La Nouba...and I'm very excited!

La Nouba is a highlight of any trip

lebeau

celticdog said:

I disagree. I think Disney does a really lousy job for the first timer. Most of the information I got from Disney only confused matters more. Plus they sent these vague materials out multiple times. I kept getting confirmations that didn't really contain any useful information.

I'm not saying they need to create a "novice program" where they plan your trip for you. That would be cumbersome for them. But they may want to include some information about the importance of planning before you leave. Maybe even include a coupon for the Birnbaum Guide (not that it's the best - just that it's official and available for sale at Disney stores).

I didn't get any material from them that indicated that planning was necessary. And when I tried to plan using there resources - as a novice - I found it very frustrating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom