Bad Experience at Coronado Springs Resort

GoTheDistance

Original Poster
I'm the OP and I'm just gonna step in and say two things. First, my complaint was that I had paid extra for a room close to the main building. Not only was I not directly told that the option that I paid for could not be accommodated upon checkin (I didn't realize how far the room was until I was walking there!), but I was still charged the full amount I paid, which was for the more expensive room type I was not in. Now, that issue has been resolved as I have been compensated for that money by Disney. Still, I feel that Coronado dropped the ball and should have been able to adjust my bill.

The second is a brief account of my stay at All-Star Movies. Now, this is a value resort which is one category down from CSR. My husband and I had reserved a preferred room for 5 nights, and upon online check in, I also requested a king bed. When we arrived in person at the check in desk, the awesome CM informed us that the preferred rooms at this hotel don't have king beds so we would have to choose one or the other. We opted for the king bed which turned out to be about $19 a night cheaper and she instantly credited our accounts.

I completely understand that requests are requests, but when you pay for a "request" they need to compensate you if they cannot fill it. I more than understand that almost every request (especially ones like king beds) are like playing a mini lottery and you never know if what you want will be open. They can still make it magical and as easy as possible for the guests involved. That is the Disney touch.

Jahona

I'm the OP and I'm just gonna step in and say two things. First, my complaint was that I had paid extra for a room close to the main building. Not only was I not directly told that the option that I paid for could not be accommodated upon checkin (I didn't realize how far the room was until I was walking there!), but I was still charged the full amount I paid, which was for the more expensive room type I was not in. Now, that issue has been resolved as I have been compensated for that money by Disney. Still, I feel that Coronado dropped the ball and should have been able to adjust my bill.

The second is a brief account of my stay at All-Star Movies. Now, this is a value resort which is one category down from CSR. My husband and I had reserved a preferred room for 5 nights, and upon online check in, I also requested a king bed. When we arrived in person at the check in desk, the awesome CM informed us that the preferred rooms at this hotel don't have king beds so we would have to choose one or the other. We opted for the king bed which turned out to be about $19 a night cheaper and she instantly credited our accounts.

I completely understand that requests are requests, but when you pay for a "request" they need to compensate you if they cannot fill it. I more than understand that almost every request (especially ones like king beds) are like playing a mini lottery and you never know if what you want will be open. They can still make it magical and as easy as possible for the guests involved. That is the Disney touch.

Glad that Disney did compensate you for your problems, even if it was after the fact. Out of curiosity what building were you in? Casitas 1-3 are usually were the preferred rooms are located.

ToTBellHop

If your room location at CSR is inconvenient for you, jump on any park bus at stops 2,3 and 4 to be taken to the main building/el centro which is stop 1. :)
Give me a break. The OP paid for a preferred view. The Disney apologists in this thread give me a headache.

rucifee

Give me a break. The OP paid for a preferred view. The Disney apologists in this thread give me a headache.

All the apologist attitudes and white knighting on Disney's behalf is more damaging than helpful, but you'll never convince an apologist of that. Its like they think they're fighting for the greater good or something. Doesn't everyone know that every problem they have at Disney is their own fault? Just reduce your expectations until you have fun, I mean duh! It's not like you have to go to Disney, and it's not like you should expect to get what you pay for or get any value at all for that matter! Some people are so entitled, they actually think that they should get what they pay for! That's a good one, getting what you pay for!

:hilarious:

emcclay

Would you like some ibuprofen?

Lest we forget, this is one side of the story. When someone has a negative experience they usually embellish upon it.

Hope your head feels better soon!

ToTBellHop

Lest we forget, this is one side of the story. When someone has a negative experience they usually embellish upon it.

So if th OP is a liar, Disney did no wrong. What about if the OP's report is true?

DisneyFans4Life

Other than the compensation for the room mix up, did they offer anything else for your troubles? We have a few nights booked for March at AoA in a Little Mermaid room. I asked them to add a note to put us in a king room; hopefully one is available for the nights we're staying.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Other than the compensation for the room mix up, did they offer anything else for your troubles? We have a few nights booked for March at AoA in a Little Mermaid room. I asked them to add a note to put us in a king room; hopefully one is available for the nights we're staying.
Just FYI...King rooms at the value resorts are the handicap accessible rooms. Understandably, those that need them get them before those that request them. They also have a maximum occupancy of 2.

DisneyFans4Life

Just FYI...King rooms at the value resorts are the handicap accessible rooms. Understandably, those that need them get them before those that request them. They also have a maximum occupancy of 2.
I am totally fine with that. It's just my wife and I and our 2 year old going...so we don't need a ton of space. I'm sure it's much easier for someone in a wheel chair or scooter to manuveur around 1 bed versus 2. When we stayed in a royal guest room at POR, we had two queens and used the second bed to put stuff on. The queen bed just makes my wife and I sleep closer together ;)

GoTheDistance

Original Poster

I have to say I don't feel this was necessary. In my original post, I was very calm and not all demanding. As an ex-CM myself, I completely understand that sometimes, does in fact hit the fan and there is only so much you can do about it. I wasn't upset that all of these things happened as much as I was upset that they were not handled or taken care of. I know Disney is capable of much, much more as I have experienced it first hand multiple times.

I did not embellish. In fact, I even left out some of the smaller issues we had because I felt my point had been made.

Disney gave me a decent refund and a nice gift card as well as lots of apologies. I'm very glad and I knew they would make it right. That being said, I still probably won't return to Coronado!

daisyduckie

I agree, if they downgrade you at all they need to compensate you for that. I've had that very thing happen, and it for sure did not make me a happy camper! I thought up until that point that Disney would only upgrade guests, but boy was I wrong!

I do know how you feel, when I have had a bad experience at a resort (2 separate ones come to mind) it has really put me off of those resorts.

ryguy

Sorry, but no.

Saying "I know you wanted a room near the pool, but we have none available" is a lot different than saying "you booked Art of Animation, but now you're at All Star Movies." In the former, Disney is clear at every step of the way that requests are just that -- requests. Go through a booking on the web site. Never once does it say that your choice of resort is just a request that may not be honored. Go all the way through to checkout. It's not there. Not in the big text, not in the fine print, nowhere.

When you book and pay for a room at a particular resort, you are supposed to be *guaranteed* a room at that resort. Yes, there might be the extremely exceptional circumstance -- say a resort catches fire -- where they have to ask your understanding and relocate you. But taking it as the normal idea that your choice of resort is not guaranteed? That's simply not the way it works, nor should it be.

Tom I think Daisy is simply stating that Disney can change your reservation if they need too. The wording is vague and open ended on purpose. Basically things happen and this gives Disney flexibility to move you if need be. I think it would be extremely rare for Disney to put you in another hotel other than one you selected, but I am sure its happened before.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Tom I think Daisy is simply stating that Disney can change your reservation if they need too. The wording is vague and open ended on purpose. Basically things happen and this gives Disney flexibility to move you if need be. I think it would be extremely rare for Disney to put you in another hotel other than one you selected, but I am sure its happened before.
It happens from time to time. The procedure is called "walking". 99% of the time it occurs when a resort becomes overbooked. Overbooking usually happens when rooms unexpectedly go out of service. This can be from an AC unit breaking, someone smoked in the room,someone trashed the room or a myriad of other reasons.

When it occurs Disney will typically try to upgrade the entire resort level, sometimes quite radically. It is not uncommon for a guest to be walked from a value resort to a DVC resort. That is not always possible, but guests are often quite happy when they get walked to a much nicer resort vs a lateral move.

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

My two cents is it sounded like a Disney issue that CSR was not able to correct. I'm surprised they weren't able to fix the issue, and am glad to hear they did compensate, albeit ex post facto.

As many times as we have been to the World, we do have a couple of examples of techno issues, most recently the week leading up to this past Halloween weekend. We never received our resort check-in email or text, had to check in at the Resort (we had checked in online), room requested was not available, Magic Bands (received at home weeks prior) did not open room door. Went back to the lobby and received room upgrade as well as Golden FP+. The Magic Bands still never had the ability to charge....tried to fix that the entire trip and had no luck.

Not sure what the deal was, but there was something wrong on the techno side.....Still had a Magical time!

Dad 2 M & M

I can tell you that on my reservation there is a line that states "All Terms and Conditions, including BUT NOT LIMITED TO (emphasis mine) deposit requirements and cancellations and refund polices are subject to change by Disney without notice." Disney can change the rules and do whatever they wish with your reservation, as long as they are not breaking a law by doing so. And I highly doubt moving a guest to a different resort is considered breaking a law.

I've read posts by more than one guest who was walked from one resort to another. It happens. It is not illegal. And thinking it is wrong doesn't make it not happen. Disney overbooks. Disney ends up with rooms that are not fit for handing out. If the options are cancelling a reservation and walking a guest to another resort, I'm betting they will walk the guest.
I agree the Terms and Conditions allow Disney to move, adjust etc., but if the resort we reserved was not available upon arrival, I would expect a substantial upgrade or greatly reduced return trip.... my guess would be they would accommodate...

daisyduckie

I agree the Terms and Conditions allow Disney to move, adjust etc., but if the resort we reserved was not available upon arrival, I would expect a substantial upgrade or greatly reduced return trip.... my guess would be they would accommodate...

From what I have read, they usually do lateral moves--For example a guest has booked at CSR and it is now over-sold, they would move them to CBR or POR. It wouldn't hurt to ask for an upgrade though.;)

Disnee4Me

This is scary. We are staying at the Coronado for the first time next month (against my DH's wishes) so that we can get the free dining. He would prefer staying at POR, easy access to DS with the boat. I did request a preferred room, so hopefully we won't have a long walk, especially as I sit here in a surgical boot after a severely sprained ankle (torn 2 ligaments).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom