Back to the Future vs The Simpsons ride

Which is the best ride?

• Back to the future the ride

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • The Simpsons ride

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters

DaveN1996

While understood that changes had to be made (especially with 2016 coming and going and still no flying cars or hover boards), I'll always have a soft spot for BTTF the ride, and am glad the anniversary editions include all of the in ride videos

Frankenstein79

I'll have to go with BTTF, though the selection maybe biased based on my age. I rode it when I was a kid and loved the roughness. Whereas adult me experienced the opposite effect with The Simpsons. My older and possibly less in shape body felt like it was in a car accident after riding it.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
I don't see Disney selling theme park rights to anything to Universal. I can see them extending the contract if they have no interest in using The Simpsons in their own parks. Admittedly, I think The Simpsons is a much better fit for Universal but that doesn't mean Disney won't try to force it. I also can't see Universal fighting too hard to keep the license. By 2028, there won't be a lot of juice left to squeeze.
I agree I definitely see them extending the contract. I agree the Simpsons are a much better fit at Universal than Disney.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
With the age and condition of the The Simpson Ride's ride system, I don't see the land lasting past 2028.
Yeah you are probably right. I still think the land is absolutely fantastic. I still love the ride but I would be fine if they tore down the ride and made a Simpsons dark ride in its place. As long as Sideshow Bob is in the ride!(He's my favorite Simpsons character)

EngineerMom

I never got to ride the Back to the Future ride but I hate the Simpson's ride because it is the ONLY simulator ride at all of Disney and Universal that makes me ill. I will never ride it again. They actually stopped our car and let us off as I was turning green before it was over and they asked if I was OK and I said NO.
I saw someone else posted here that it was nauseating. I agree.

Moka

BTTF had a great run as others mentioned, but by 2006 it was definitely its time to go. The Simpsons is alright, not something I have to do when I go, if it's a short wait (like it normally is) I will get on if I feel like it. However, I believe the Simpsons is nearing it's end eventually as well. Universal has the park rights to the Simpsons until 2028 I believe, so I guess that's when it's time to get rid of it. i'm curious of what it will be replaced by then.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
BTTF had a great run as others mentioned, but by 2006 it was definitely its time to go. The Simpsons is alright, not something I have to do when I go, if it's a short wait (like it normally is) I will get on if I feel like it. However, I believe the Simpsons is nearing it's end eventually as well. Universal has the park rights to the Simpsons until 2028 I believe, so I guess that's when it's time to get rid of it. i'm curious of what it will be replaced by then.
It's possible but I do not see Universal ending the contract. The land is extremely popular and the merchandise and food brings in a ton of money to Universal.

Moka

It's possible but I do not see Universal ending the contract. The land is extremely popular and the merchandise and food brings in a ton of money to Universal.
Well yes, but we’re talking 8 years from now. We’ll see if it’s the same by then.

but with Disney owning Simpsons now, are they even allowed to renew their contract?

lebeau

Well yes, but we’re talking 8 years from now. We’ll see if it’s the same by then.

but with Disney owning Simpsons now, are they even allowed to renew their contract?

Define "allowed". Odds are the contract offers both parties some rights. Unlike the Marvel contract, this one hasn't been found online so we don't know the details. But typically, an IP contract includes some terms for renewal. It would be a bad idea for a company like Universal to build a ride or land around an IP with a set expiration date. Fox probably negotiated some rights to increase fees upon renewal or something along those lines. With the Marvel contract, Universal is in the driver's seat. The Simpsons will likely involve some negotiation. If Disney wants to make use of The Simpsons in their parks, they can probably set the price high enough that Universal will walk away. Otherwise, they may be content to keep that income stream more or less as-is.

The_Jobu

I adored BTTF, the Institute and the little clips with Tom Wilson really brought me into their "ride the movies" motif. I find it difficult to compare to the Simpsons however, as they're essentially the same ride with a lot of re-theming. The Simpsons has Springfield all around it which has some of the best theming on the planet. By that I mean they get a lot of gags and the spirit of the show (seasons 2-9 of course) everywhere. The Simpsons ride might be my favourite queue ever, just from an entertainment standpoint, as its not nearly as impressive or immersive as Forbidden Journey or Gringots.

In conclusion, I can't pick a favourite and I just wasted 2 minutes of your time reading this that you cant take back.

Hahahahaha, suckers.

JoeCamel

I adored BTTF, the Institute and the little clips with Tom Wilson really brought me into their "ride the movies" motif. I find it difficult to compare to the Simpsons however, as they're essentially the same ride with a lot of re-theming. The Simpsons has Springfield all around it which has some of the best theming on the planet. By that I mean they get a lot of gags and the spirit of the show (seasons 2-9 of course) everywhere. The Simpsons ride might be my favourite queue ever, just from an entertainment standpoint, as its not nearly as impressive or immersive as Forbidden Journey or Gringots.

In conclusion, I can't pick a favourite and I just wasted 2 minutes of your time reading this that you cant take back.

Hahahahaha, suckers.

2 minutes? you need to see this

Suckahhh!

OG Runner

Which do you think would be more important to Universal, The Simpsons or Marvel?
Maybe an agreement could be reach allowing Disney to use some Marvel in Florida, they
have not been able to before, for Universal's use of the Simpsons.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Which do you think would be more important to Universal, The Simpsons or Marvel?
Maybe an agreement could be reach allowing Disney to use some Marvel in Florida, they
have not been able to before, for Universal's use of the Simpsons.
I'd say Marvel but in terms of expansion and merchandising I would say Simpsons. Universal can not add more Marvel ride but Universal could add more Simpsons rides or attractions. Personally after reading on the Universal forums I would say Disney and Universal will make a deal regarding Marvel at least this decade.

JoeCamel

lebeau

I'd say Marvel but in terms of expansion and merchandising I would say Simpsons. Universal can not add more Marvel ride but Universal could add more Simpsons rides or attractions. Personally after reading on the Universal forums I would say Disney and Universal will make a deal regarding Marvel at least this decade.

Universal can absolutely add more Marvel rides if it wants to. It hasn't because there are more pressing needs. MSI is one of the most fully realized lands in either park. All it needs is contractually-obligated upkeep. Meanwhile, the resort is expanding with new hotels and parks and other lands are in greater need of additions.

Plus, they may need to retheme Springfield sooner or later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom