Awful new layout. Why change a familiar thing?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
The old style actually had a WDW feel to it. It was a blue background. We were familiar with it. This site is just as bad as Facebook where they practically force you to have a new layout. Why change an already good thing?

nepalostparks

Check out the other Help posts for some more details, but basically the old forum software was very outdated, and was causing the forums to lag, time out, and ultimately fail. A new forum was needed to keep up with the amount of users and posts.

Give the new format a chance, and you'll likely find yourself adjusting to it and finding yourself right at home again. :)

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Check out the other Help posts for some more details, but basically the old forum software was very outdated, and was causing the forums to lag, time out, and ultimately fail. A new forum was needed to keep up with the amount of users and posts.

Give the new format a chance, and you'll likely find yourself adjusting to it and finding yourself right at home again. :)

Maybe, but the old format was blue and easier on the eyes. It reminded you more of WDW. This format looks very cheap and amateurish

nepalostparks

In the bottom of the page, on the left side of the blue bar, there are several layout choices... try those out if you haven't, as they give some variation.

The clean look and white space is the current design of choice for many large websites.... it's clean, and with how much work went into it, it certainly isn't amateurish.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
In the bottom of the page, on the left side of the blue bar, there are several layout choices... try those out if you haven't, as they give some variation.

The clean look and white space is the current design of choice for many large websites.... it's clean, and with how much work went into it, it certainly isn't amateurish.

I guess we'll have to disagree. The old format looked as if someone put some effort into it. Think about it this way. The old format was similar to the queue at Pirates while the new format is like the queue at Soarin. Dull for sure.

nepalostparks

I guess we'll have to disagree. The old format looked as if someone put some effort into it. Think about it this way. The old format was similar to the queue at Pirates while the new format is like the queue at Soarin. Dull for sure.

Hopefully you will be able to adjust. Remember, even though the layout has changed some, this is still the same great community for all things Walt Disney World! :)

Captain Chaos

And give Steve a change to make updates as time goes on. He knows a lot of us don't care for the solid white background. But, try other sites. They are all pretty much solid white. May take a little time to adjust, but you will.

The big thing was to get this rolled out cause the other software was horrible. I'm sure Steve will make adjustments as time goes on.

Tom

Beta Return
The old style actually had a WDW feel to it. It was a blue background. We were familiar with it. This site is just as bad as Facebook where they practically force you to have a new layout. Why change an already good thing?

Good grief! Give the guy a break. I don't see a "Premium Contributor" banner under your avatar, so that means you're using this site completely free of charge. There are minimal ads on this site, and only a few tastefully and subtly inlaid sponsors. Beyond that, the Premium Members help Steve keep this site going.

This isn't Disney you're bashing. You're bashing an individual. WDWmagic isn't some mystical corporate giant - it's a guy who built a hell of a site for all of us to use, without forcing anyone to pay. The old forum software is on its last leg and there is no more support for it. You'll see the other big forums making a leap in the near future as well. It has to be done.

Steve weighed some options, chose this software, PAID FOR IT, bought new hardware, and rolled it out as quickly as possible so that we could all keep discussing Disney without the software or servers completely crashing on us.

There is a lot of custom "skinning" that can be done from the Administrator's side, and I'm positive Steve and company are taking good notes. Will it ever look just the old site? No. And it will take some getting used to. But to just come on here and respond immediately with a direct insult to our host is rude and downright distasteful.

Californian Elitist

What do you mean it had a WDW feel to it? Just because it was more blue? What does the color blue have to do with WDW?:confused:

The newly designed site is not awful and it's not bad. It looks sleek and it's obvious the old version was outdated. Once you keep using the site you'll get more used to it. Change is good sometimes, even if it's already a good thing. The same old thing gets tired after a while. That kind of thinking is one of the reasons WDW doesn't do overlays. It's actually nice when things are switched up sometimes.

I know one thing, the pages don't take forever to load anymore. I definitely appreciate that! That alone makes this newer version of the site MUCH better than the one before, not to mention the mobile version of the site is fantabulous. Many thanks!:)

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Good grief! Give the guy a break. I don't see a "Premium Contributor" banner under your avatar, so that means you're using this site completely free of charge. There are minimal ads on this site, and only a few tastefully and subtly inlaid sponsors. Beyond that, the Premium Members help Steve keep this site going.

This isn't Disney you're bashing. You're bashing an individual. WDWmagic isn't some mystical corporate giant - it's a guy who built a hell of a site for all of us to use, without forcing anyone to pay. The old forum software is on its last leg and there is no more support for it. You'll see the other big forums making a leap in the near future as well. It has to be done.

Steve weighed some options, chose this software, PAID FOR IT, bought new hardware, and rolled it out as quickly as possible so that we could all keep discussing Disney without the software or servers completely crashing on us.

There is a lot of custom "skinning" that can be done from the Administrator's side, and I'm positive Steve and company are taking good notes. Will it ever look just the old site? No. And it will take some getting used to. But to just come on here and respond immediately with a direct insult to our host is rude and downright distasteful.

Thread win! Bang on!

Magenta Panther

My only complaint about the new layout is that I can't post messages using my Nook anymore. :( Its keyboard doesn't recognize the message block, for some reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom