Avengers: Infinity War

Princess Leia

Annnnnd it passed Titanic this weekend (domestically). It’s still about $40 million behind Black Panther, and I think the chances of IW passing BP are slim to none, since BP is still making money (not a lot of money, but it will probably end up at $699.6 million after today). International gross is about $62 million away from Force Awakens, and if IW isn’t going to pass BP, it definitely isn’t going to pass TFA.

Of course, if Disney puts IW back in theaters for a couple of weeks to be shown alongside A4, then both records have a chance of falling.

Princess Leia

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/27/entertainment/avengers-infinity-characters-killed/index.html

I can't access the io9 article at work, so this will have to do. The cast (or at least, those that were part of the Wakanda scene) didn't know who was going to live or die until they filmed the scene. So I've got major respect for some of those actors right now for ripping my heart out on very short notice.

edit- I was wrong, I can access the article, but I'm going to post it in Avengers 4, since it technically belongs there.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

The comment about the lack of Black Panther being in the film really makes me wonder if Disney/Marvel would have done anything different if they knew how much of a success that movie was going to be. If they knew, my guess is that T’Challa would have joined in the rescue of Wanda and Vision. Would they still have dusted him? Probably. They dusted Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, and 4/7 of the Guardians (plus Gamora’s death by cliff), so T’Challa was always probably fair game.

erasure fan1

The comment about the lack of Black Panther being in the film really makes me wonder if Disney/Marvel would have done anything different if they knew how much of a success that movie was going to be. If they knew, my guess is that T’Challa would have joined in the rescue of Wanda and Vision. Would they still have dusted him? Probably. They dusted Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, and 4/7 of the Guardians (plus Gamora’s death by cliff), so T’Challa was always probably fair game.
I don't think it would have changed anything. With Panther so close to infinity war, you didn't need more of him. I think you got a nice balance with them going to Wakanda. Personally I would have been a bit disappointed if he was in it more. I think they did it right with screen time for everyone, and made that time count. I've said it before, but I think they dusted the people they did because everyone expected Tony, Steve and Thor to go.

Princess Leia

I don't think it would have changed anything. With Panther so close to infinity war, you didn't need more of him. I think you got a nice balance with them going to Wakanda. Personally I would have been a bit disappointed if he was in it more. I think they did it right with screen time for everyone, and made that time count. I've said it before, but I think they dusted the people they did because everyone expected Tony, Steve and Thor to go.
That’s true. I think everyone (myself included) really expected Tony and/or Steve, which really added to the shock value of it all. Especially since it really looked like we were going to lose Tony when he got stabbed.

One thing about the incredibly reduced cast for 4 is that screentime should theoretically be a little more even. Theoretically of course- Steve & Tony had like 37 minutes each of screentime in the first Avengers, while Clint had like 13.

erasure fan1

That’s true. I think everyone (myself included) really expected Tony and/or Steve, which really added to the shock value of it all. Especially since it really looked like we were going to lose Tony when he got stabbed.

One thing about the incredibly reduced cast for 4 is that screentime should theoretically be a little more even. Theoretically of course- Steve & Tony had like 37 minutes each of screentime in the first Avengers, while Clint had like 13.
My hope/theory is they did it this way to give the original group the screen time they need to give them a proper conclusion to their arcs. If Steve died in part one, it really wouldn't have been very satisfying. But with a whole movie to focus on the original core, you should be able to give them what they deserve.

Princess Leia

I just noticed the side images on the blu-ray box, and...
5EB59845-3332-4A76-98A9-DFFB2B06DDB5.jpeg

BFD41A4D-A39D-4D43-8C2A-5EC2FF96374D.jpeg

Steve, who has 4 minutes in the movie, and Tony. Tony, I get, because he had the second highest amount of screentime for the heroes, but Steve? He even got the image on the side of the container. Thanos would have made a lot more sense for that spot. Or Gamora.

I love Captain America, but this wasn’t exactly Steve’s movie.

Princess Leia

We’ve got awards considerations (from Disney’s awards site)-

5F40EE15-FE85-4432-8D72-D748739FD27A.jpeg
BFDD659A-29BE-4901-974C-0ACE5E8BDAE2.jpeg

Since Black Panther is competing for a lot of the same categories, I can see the nominations committees leaning towards that one instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom