Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Phroobar

If it makes me want to hurl, the ride system won't matter. Screen based rides just don't work for my stomach.
My wife can't take screen based rides. She gets sick on Star Tours and would definitely get sick on Transformers. It does help to have motion and wind blowing in your face. I still think she will get sick on Harry Potter. She does fine on rollercoasters.

Travel Junkie

We'll have to see how Epcot's Guardians turns out and make the comparison in a few years. I presume the Roller Coaster system would have been a similar play to what they are doing.

I don't know if a coaster in a box helps round out DCA's library though or does more for Marvel. I'm still not convinced WDI has really achieved a great indoor coaster outside of Space Mountain. Given "Tron" or "Flight of Passage", the later probably will help DCA out more and be more fitting of that property

But in a different world a ride like RoTR and Mickey and Minnie would have been the perfect compliment to DCA. I'd love for their next E-tickets after Marvel to skew closer to Tokyo Disney Seas' FantasySprings with a couple heavily laden E-ticket dark rides.

I also know I exist out on a weird limb, but I perceive Mission Breakout to be a relatively practical ride.

I also am starting to think Mission Breakout is my favourite ride in that park. This is a blockable offence.

In a vacuum Guardians is a really fun ride and gives you a unique experience/sensation within the resort. My only issues with the attraction stem from the moment you walk outside the ride. (attraction exterior, land/park thematic integrity, etc.)

lazyboy97o

No, there is no such agreement between Universal and Kuka that I could ever find. That was an internet rumor debunked the moment Sum of All Thrills opened in Epcot 10 years ago which used Kuka technology (almost a full year before Forbidden Journey opened at Universal).
Sum of All Thrills debunked squat as it used a stationary system, not a tracked system. Batman: Knight Flight is the first non-Universal ride to use a similar system and it has been open for less than a year.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
In a vacuum Guardians is a really fun ride and gives you a unique experience/sensation within the resort. My only issues with the attraction stem from the moment you walk outside the ride. (attraction exterior, land/park thematic integrity, etc.)

It also doesn’t help that it was painfully shoehorned into ToT instead of being something built from the ground up. Going into the Collector’s “office” and through the boiler room wouldn’t have been part of the ride. Same thing with the “gantry lifts” which are just the same old ToT elevators with some alien font on the back.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sum of All Thrills debunked squat as it used a stationary system, not a tracked system. Batman: Knight Flight is the first non-Universal ride to use a similar system and it has been open for less than a year.
The question wasn't specific to Forbidden Journey or about Kuka on a tracked sysem. The question was just about a Kuka arm system. Sum of All Thrills uses a Kuka arm system, whether stationary or not is beside the point and it opened a year before FJ.

Now if you had said that Batman:Knight Flight is the first non-Universal ride to use a Kuka arm in an attraction since FJ, that would be correct. But that in itself is still no proof of a exclusivity contract. Or even if there was one after FJ it has since expired.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The question wasn't specific to Forbidden Journey or about Kuka on a tracked sysem. The question was just about a Kuka arm system. Sum of All Thrills uses a Kuka arm system, whether stationary or not is beside the point and it opened a year before FJ.

Now if you had said that Batman:Knight Flight is the first non-Universal ride to use a Kuka arm in an attraction since FJ, that would be correct. But that in itself is still no proof of a exclusivity contract. Or even if there was one after FJ it has since expired.
The exclusivity was for the tracked system used by Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The exclusivity was for the tracked system used by Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.
I just answered the question as it was written which was about the arm system itself, not tracked.

As for the exclusivity, it obviously has since expired if there was even one in the first place.

lazyboy97o

I just answered the question as it was written which was about the arm system itself, not tracked.

As for the exclusivity, it obviously has since expired if there was even one in the first place.
You answered a faulted assertion with a faulty reason and then extrapolated that there was no exclusivity. The exclusivity deal was not unknown and halted Disney projects exploring the technology.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The exclusivity deal was not unknown and halted Disney projects exploring the technology.
You seem to be harping on this point. The point that should be taken away from this now in 2019 is that you yourself have proven its no longer even in place anymore. So Disney can explore using it for Avengers or any other attraction if they want to.

Also I'd like to point to this Attractions magazine article from 2009:

"UPDATE: (4/17/09) There have been reports/rumors online that Universal Studios obtained theme park-exclusive rights to the KUKA robotic arm technology for 10 years. A Disney PR rep told me that Universal and KUKA Roboter do not have such an agreement. He pointed out that the Rockin Robots exhibit currently in Innoventions also already uses the KUKA arms.

But again whether they did or didn't have an exclusivity right to the technology that time has passed and Disney can use it if they wish.

MistaDee

Regardless of which internet stranger was right about what......

I think what's more interesting is if a ride system in which KUKA technology was the primary innovation would fit this description:

"We’re inventing an all-new ride system for this,” Walt Disney Imagineering’s Scot Drake said during a New York Comic Con 2019 panel....Unlike anything you've seen before"

To me this would most likely indicate a significant departure from the FJ Kuka/omnimover which will be more than 12 years old by the time this Avengers E-ticket opens.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Regardless of which internet stranger was right about what......

I think what's more interesting is if a ride system in which KUKA technology was the primary innovation would fit this description:

"We’re inventing an all-new ride system for this,” Walt Disney Imagineering’s Scot Drake said during a New York Comic Con 2019 panel....Unlike anything you've seen before"

To me this would most likely indicate a significant departure from the FJ Kuka/omnimover which will be more than 12 years old by the time this Avengers E-ticket opens.
I think Kuka if used in a new way (call it 3.0) such as how the attraction experience is described could fit the above statement from Drake. I just like the technology and would like to see more of it in Disney Parks in the future.

wityblack

I'm sure they'll have to give some warning about the ride system in the queue, not to mention the harnesses would be suspicious but I think it'd be really cool if they made it seem like it was basically Star Tours in the Quinjet, and then everything unexpectedly breaks away, completely surprising the guests. The surprise would wear off after the first time, and wouldn't be there at all for us snobby forum-ers who learn everything a year before a ride opens, but it would really be a wow factor.

Stevek

My wife can't take screen based rides. She gets sick on Star Tours and would definitely get sick on Transformers. It does help to have motion and wind blowing in your face. I still think she will get sick on Harry Potter. She does fine on rollercoasters.
It sucks I can't ride Star Tours either given I'm such a SW nerd. I can do Soarin with no issues though the over CA version did get to me when the copter flew off the carrier deck. Weird, I know. I can do some coasters, just not any that go backwards or have many loops.

ParkPeeker

these things are freakin dope

Ismael Flores

so anyone have a guess when they would actually start on construction of the show building for the avengers ride?

will they wait till phase one opens before they get started then make everyone wait another 2.5 years or will they be proactive and get the show building going and maybe open things up sooner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom