Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

DocMcHulk

Original Poster
This keeps getting worse for Disney.

TheVerge.com-
James Cameron is pushing back the release date of his next Avatar film, which is now planned for late 2017 — one year later than he was originally targeting. Cameron is working on three new Avatar movies at once, which he plans to shoot simultaneously. He's also brought together a team of writers to script them simultaneously, but he tells the AssociatedPressthat the writing process has been "very involved," making his 2016 date too ambitious. "There's a layer of complexity in getting the story to work as a saga across three films that you don't get when you're making a stand-alone film," Cameron says.

DisneySaint

Brutal for Disney. I mean, Avatar Land is going to be beautiful, well done, etc. but does anyone actually care about the Avatar intellectual property any more? It's a 6 year old movie. By the time the land opens it will be nearly 8 years old. I can see how the sequel will reinvigorate it but is anyone really expecting the entire Avatar IP to ever be a super mega sensation a la Star Wars or Harry Potter?

ABQ

Though a huge blockbuster of a movie would certainly do a ton to generate excitement for Pandora in the AK, I'm sure everyone hopes that the land itself is made so well that it can generate its own excitement and stand on its own regardless of the film release timing.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Brutal for Disney. I mean, Avatar Land is going to be beautiful, well done, etc. but does anyone actually care about the Avatar intellectual property any more? It's a 6 year old movie. By the time the land opens it will be nearly 8 years old. I can see how the sequel will reinvigorate it but is anyone really expecting the entire Avatar IP to ever be a super mega sensation a la Star Wars or Harry Potter?

it depends on how good it is... if it's well done it doesn't matter what the intellectual property is or where they got the idea. I hope personally it focuses more on the land beauty and not as much on the avatars themselves but who knows I mean I'm not obsessed over Song of the South but Splash Mountain is well done

CJR

I wouldn't say Haunted Mansion or even Pirates are a HP or SW, yet both of those are fine. I'll give it to you that neither attraction make up an entire land, but I still think Disney will be fine with Avatar.

It'll add at least two (IMO) amazing indoor attractions to a park that is desperate need of indoor rides. If nothing else, there's that.

Back to the topic, a 2017 release will probably work out better for Disney, not worse. With two more movies guaranteed to follow it, the land will likely remain fresh for a while.

The Tuna

it depends on how good it is... if it's well done it doesn't matter what the intellectual property is or where they got the idea. I hope personally it focuses more on the land beauty and not as much on the avatars themselves but who knows I mean I'm not obsessed over Song of the South but Splash Mountain is well done

This may be the sanest message ever about Avatarland. The IP isn't important as long as the land and attractions are amazing. The IP only really matters when you are talking about a mega franchise like HP or Star Wars. SOme of the best rides have zero affiliation to any franchise. I watched Avatar and didn't feel the need to ever watch it again, but I can see how walking into Pandora would be mind blowing if done right.

JCtheparrothead

Seriously does everyone believe that these movies are going to be bad. I have never seen a bad Cameron movie IMHO and numbers don't lie. He has some of the most successful movies of all time. People are going to like the land, the movies, and the Avatar DVC tree bungalows that they will eventually build. I am looking forward to it.

My 2 cents.

TheRabbit

I wouldn't say Haunted Mansion or even Pirates are a HP or SW, yet both of those are fine. I'll give it to you that neither attraction make up an entire land, but I still think Disney will be fine with Avatar.

It'll add at least two (IMO) amazing indoor attractions to a park that is desperate need of indoor rides. If nothing else, there's that.

Back to the topic, a 2017 release will probably work out better for Disney, not worse. With two more movies guaranteed to follow it, the land will likely remain fresh for a while.
I agree with CJR...at least it will be something new, with new attractions. But I don't think it will improve attendance at that park. Just like when Expedition Everest opened, it was the hot park for a little while but then back to reality. Now you can get on Everest under 20 min wait even during peak seasons.

twebber55

I agree with CJR...at least it will be something new, with new attractions. But I don't think it will improve attendance at that park. Just like when Expedition Everest opened, it was the hot park for a little while but then back to reality. Now you can get on Everest under 20 min wait even during peak seasons.
i believe the year EE opened park attendance went up by 1,000,000 people

CJR

We will never truly know now since Disney won't release figures and I don't trust the other sources.

DAK will see a boost though as people seem to flock over for anything new (let's be honest, we're all desperate). The new night safari and show in addition to it will all be what brings people in.

Will it last? Not forever. Just like Tower of Terror, Fantasmic!, and Rockin' Roller Coaster didn't permanently save DHS from all of its problems. Eventually they'll have to add and refurbish things.

Smiddimizer

I was already thinking they should delay opening until April 2018 to celebrate AK's 20th ( :jawdrop: )proper, and make the attraction count better than it appears to be.

TeddyinMO

Also, don't forget that Cameron has had long delays between movies before with no negative impact. Terminator was a huge hit in 1984 and it was 7 years before T2 became an even bigger hit in 91. If memory serves, Avatar was released in 2009. If Avatar 2 is released in 2017, we're looking at 8 years between the movies. Pretty much the same timeframe. If Avatar 2 is good and/or groundbreaking, it will be a huge hit. If it stinks or gives off a "been there, done that" vibe, it won't be. I'd bet on Cameron though.

Either way, Pandora in AK will be a success (or failure) on its own merits. A successful sequel will certainly give it a boost and a bomb of a sequel could give it some short-term negative buzz, but long-term (which is what counts), the success of the land will be based on the land itself. An amazing, other-worldly experience with great rides will draw people for many years, even if the movie is forgotten in six months.

Mouse Trap

Here it goes again....

jaklgreen

Seriously does everyone believe that these movies are going to be bad. I have never seen a bad Cameron movie IMHO and numbers don't lie. He has some of the most successful movies of all time. People are going to like the land, the movies, and the Avatar DVC tree bungalows that they will eventually build. I am looking forward to it.

My 2 cents.

I thought Avatar was bad. It was a beautiful land but the whole story was bad and so was the acting and the people and their weird chanting creeped out my hubby. I am happy they are putting something new into AK and am looking forward to seeing it, but we will not be going to the theater and paying to see the new Avatar movies. Almost all the people I have talked to when the movie came out did not like the movie either. Same with my husband's coworkers and friends. It was hard finding someone that said that it was a great movie.

TeddyinMO

I thought Avatar was bad. It was a beautiful land but the whole story was bad and so was the acting and the people and their weird chanting creeped out my hubby. I am happy they are putting something new into AK and am looking forward to seeing it, but we will not be going to the theater and paying to see the new Avatar movies. Almost all the people I have talked to when the movie came out did not like the movie either. Same with my husband's coworkers and friends. It was hard finding someone that said that it was a great movie.

Well, that does it. Disney's ruined. The movie made a gazillion dollars but your husband's coworkers didn't like it, so this land is going to fail. :facepalm:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom