Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

Phroobar

I think one can make an argument that Avatar has not yet gone sufficiently trans-media, but that is not an argument that it has no cultural impact. Avatar still remains a young franchise, had one lone brand deposit in a decade. The fact Pandora in AK is incredibly popular was dismissed as simply just being ‘well done’, which it is. But is the one case example of going transmedia.

Its most lasting impact was theatrical equipment, we had the 3D wave, which unfortunately people sort of blame Avatar for. Many pretenders and few that really lived up to the experience.

I think our resident Halloween costume tracker, who has beat that drum for ages, misunderstood that Avatar really wasn’t a children’s franchise, nor very easy to cosplay. Generationally no one who was a child was remotely alive for that movie anyways, nor had another franchise deposit really occurred.

I do think what Avatar lacked though was a steward of the franchise beyond Cameron. Never doubt Disney’s ability to expand a franchise post theatrically. Fox sort of dropped the ball. In Avatars defense the fact it was even allowed to go quiet for a decade after it’s box office is more of a refreshing difference with most modern franchises and I think that was misconstrued by many as a failure.
It is Cameron's movie. FOX and now Disney are just distributors. They didn't drop the ball. Cameron, just like Lucas before him has total control over when he will make another movie or not. It is HIS money paying for it. Cameron can tell Iger to go away when he wants a quick sequel. There were 16 years between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace. It doesn't need to have multiple movies released every year like Marvel. It was seen as milking the franchise when Disney released a Star Wars movie every year.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It is Cameron's movie. FOX and now Disney are just distributors. They didn't drop the ball. Cameron, just like Lucas before him has total control over when he will make another movie or not. It is HIS money paying for it. Cameron can tell Iger to go away when he wants a quick sequel. There were 16 years between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace. It doesn't need to have multiple movies released every year like Marvel. It was seen as milking the franchise when Disney released a Star Wars movie every year.
I'm pretty sure that Cameron has to speak with Disney about release schedules and such as that is part of the contract. Its not like Cameron can just walk away and take the Avatar franchise to another Studio. So whether self-financed or not Disney is still involved in production decisions regarding its release.

He even indicates the same in this article posted on the last page:

BrianLo

I don’t mean that Disney is out to milk the franchise with sequels. I just mean the behemoth that is Disney is incredibly good at keeping their franchises evergreen and alive. Snow White is still pushing merch, let alone Mickey.

The Disney backing of the franchise as being more pseudo in house likely will yield some different results. Beyond the fact three sequels are coming semi-soon. I strongly expect more parks presence for starters.

I think we are arguing the same thing. Because the franchise was actually let to grow by its creators time and hand it has been misconstrued about being irrelevant. When it was really just different and refreshing in a good way.

Screamface

I still find what Cameron is saying a little unclear. I wonder if he's talking about break even being for the cost of multiple films.

As for Disney milking the franchise, eventually I am sure we'll get Avatar prequels about the first people visiting Pandora. For some reason they'll probably bring a little kid who can teach the adults the real beauty of Pandora.

Wendy Pleakley

What's the source on that? I have only seen that Disney/Fox funded the Avatar sequels, not Cameron himself.

CaptainAmerica

I still find what Cameron is saying a little unclear. I wonder if he's talking about break even being for the cost of multiple films.
The theaters keep about 55% of the box office, depending on the mix of Domestic, International, and China. So at $1.5 billion, Disney/Lightstorm only gets about $675 million. Given the rumored production and marketing budgets, that's about break-even.

The rumored production budget likely includes a  share of the upfront costs that will be used in future films, but not all of it.

CaptainAmerica

I'm pretty sure that Cameron has to speak with Disney about release schedules and such as that is part of the contract. Its not like Cameron can just walk away and take the Avatar franchise to another Studio. So whether self-financed or not Disney is still involved in production decisions regarding its release.

He even indicates the same in this article posted on the last page:

There's no indication that Cameron and Disney are at odds with one another so this whole debate seems kind of silly. Cameron has no interest in "telling Iger to go away."

Fox&Hound

Having seen the movie twice now in the theaters, it really is a sight to see. If you were DIS, and you were looking to add a ride or experience to AK’s Pandora, what inspiration would you draw from Way of Water? Maybe an underwater boat ride like 20K but with different tech? A ride on the back of a water banshee things exploring the world above and below the ocean? Any ideas? Really hope with the success of this movie we see an expansion to Pandora and soon.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Ghost93

Having seen the movie twice now in the theaters, it really is a sight to see. If you were DIS, and you were looking to add a ride or experience to AK’s Pandora, what inspiration would you draw from Way of Water? Maybe an underwater boat ride like 20K but with different tech? A ride on the back of a water banshee things exploring the world above and below the ocean? Any ideas? Really hope with the success of this movie we see an expansion to Pandora and soon.
I've already seen the movie four times. I haven't seen a movie that many times in a theater since the first Avengers movie a decade ago.

I might even see Avatar: The Way of Water a fifth time! Since I have AMC A-list I can see up to three movies a week for about $22 a month. So it doesn't cost me anything to see Avatar so many times.

CaptainAmerica

1673300667813.png

choco choco

I would propose the best thing would be to extend Na'vi River Journey such that you float into the sea people's villages and look up at them populating those little overwater bungalows they inhabit. Making Na'vi River Journey a much more substantial experience would make the land much stronger.

Ghost93

I would propose the best thing would be to extend Na'vi River Journey such that you float into the sea people's villages and look up at them populating those little overwater bungalows they inhabit. Making Na'vi River Journey a much more substantial experience would make the land much stronger.
I think the problem is that geographically the location of the Na'vi River Journey (taking place in Pandora's forest) is too far away from where the Metkayina ocean clan lives so it would be hard to have the two areas connect in the same attraction.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"James Cameron’s Avatar 2 had the bad luck of releasing in China, the world’s second-biggest film market, just as a devastating wave of COVID-19 infection was engulfing the country. Now, it’s getting a little good luck.

Beijing’s film regulators on Tuesday granted the Disney tentpole a rare release extension to run on Chinese screens for an additional 30 days, two sources in Beijing with knowledge of the decision tell The Hollywood Reporter.

China’s film import system grants foreign films permission to screen in the country for 30-day blocks. Avatar 2 launched in China day-and-date with North America on Dec. 16, so its original release was set to expire on Jan. 15. The film has earned just shy of $200 million in the country, Hollywood’s best local performance of the pandemic era, but much less than was originally forecast, due to the ongoing COVID outbreak."

"Film figures in Beijing contacted by THR on Tuesday said they were shocked by the Film Bureau’s late call to give Avatar 2 additional time. While Hollywood films occasionally score release extensions, Beijing usually blocks all foreign films from screening during China’s important national holidays, giving the domestic industry free rein at the box office. Hollywood has long protested such release “black-outs” as anti-competitive and contrary to China’s World Trade Organization obligations — always to no avail.

“It’s a weird decision,” said one exhibition executive when asked how much screen share Avatar 2 might be expected to hold during the holiday. “We don’t know,” they added."

CaptainAmerica

"James Cameron’s Avatar 2 had the bad luck of releasing in China, the world’s second-biggest film market, just as a devastating wave of COVID-19 infection was engulfing the country. Now, it’s getting a little good luck.

Beijing’s film regulators on Tuesday granted the Disney tentpole a rare release extension to run on Chinese screens for an additional 30 days, two sources in Beijing with knowledge of the decision tell The Hollywood Reporter.

China’s film import system grants foreign films permission to screen in the country for 30-day blocks. Avatar 2 launched in China day-and-date with North America on Dec. 16, so its original release was set to expire on Jan. 15. The film has earned just shy of $200 million in the country, Hollywood’s best local performance of the pandemic era, but much less than was originally forecast, due to the ongoing COVID outbreak."

"Film figures in Beijing contacted by THR on Tuesday said they were shocked by the Film Bureau’s late call to give Avatar 2 additional time. While Hollywood films occasionally score release extensions, Beijing usually blocks all foreign films from screening during China’s important national holidays, giving the domestic industry free rein at the box office. Hollywood has long protested such release “black-outs” as anti-competitive and contrary to China’s World Trade Organization obligations — always to no avail.

“It’s a weird decision,” said one exhibition executive when asked how much screen share Avatar 2 might be expected to hold during the holiday. “We don’t know,” they added."

1673357541165.png

Slpy3270

$2 billion a lock.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom