britain

Original Poster
Wouldn’t an Avatar themed sub attraction be better than Finding Nemo? I venture to say, yes!

Throw in your thoughts, arguments, and Peoplemover prayers here.

Phroobar

I think it would be an easy overlay. The better idea to make an entire Avatar land using the subs. It would be the perfect transition between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

tcool123

I've been saying this for months! The Avatar theme could be applied to the Subs, cars, and the nearby quick service to transform the whole area into a Pandroan expo in Tomorrowland with the glow plants and creatures found from the films and Florida. Plus I think we can all agree a new menu would be appreciated en leu of the standard fare served there.

Rich T

No. Avatar is a boring franchise full of forgettable characters no one gives a fig about. It works as a one-shot pretty sci-fi Land with a nifty dragon flight sim ride. The world does not need more Avatar.

More importantly, Disneyland’s soul does not need to be further diluted by bringing in more IPs Disney artists did not create.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

No. Avatar is a boring franchise full of forgettable characters no gives a fig about. It works as a one-shot pretty sci-fi Land with a nifty dragon flight sim ride. The world does not need more Avatar.

More importantly, Disneyland’s soul does not need to be further diluted by bringing in more IPs Disney artists did not create.
I thought it was just me. I saw Avatar years ago when it was released, and I didn’t get the hype. Watched it again to see if I was missing something, and nope.

Keep it out of Tomorrowland and Disneyland in general.

Parteecia

I saw the first one in 3D on a giant IMAX screen and said, it's a theme park ride, all show with a trite storyline. I have no interest in seeing the new one.

I felt the same way about Titanic.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
No thanks. I watched the first movie before I went to Animal Kingdom to see Pandora for the first time and it was okay but long). My husband wanted to see the new one and I tagged along, and parts were interesting. Other parts were a little horrifying, and others it was just too drawn out. Anyway, I think the land of Pandora works ok in Animal Kingdom and it certainly built and designed with great detail and care. It is impressive. However, I don't think it represents Tomorrowland well at all Avatar just has too much of a "nature" feel to me. If Disney wants to redo Tomorrowland, they should redesign it like Disneyland Paris' Discoveryland which has the retro-futuristic steampunk design.

mickEblu

No. Avatar is a boring franchise full of forgettable characters no gives a fig about. It works as a one-shot pretty sci-fi Land with a nifty dragon flight sim ride. The world does not need more Avatar.

This isn’t Walt Disney and the Nine Old Men anymore. For me, “Disney artist” really doesn’t carry any more weight than Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm or even some of the companies they don’t own. The people that brought us Strange World, Raya, Wreck it Ralph 2, Turning Red and Lightyear (Pixar I know but the lines are blurred between the studios more everyday) to name a few do not hold a special place in my heart. For me something created by James Cameron or George Lucas are more Disney than most of the crap they re putting out these days.

Same goes for the new imagineers. I don’t think I can name one or think that any of the current crop at Disney are any better than people working at Universal Creative.

Disney just happens to be the name of the visionary who founded the company that now 100 years later has become the meaningless name of a huge soulless corporation that bought a bunch of other companies. The name used to be synonymous with quality and family friendly content. They have lost their way.

Last edited:

Phroobar

An Avatar ride would be better than a Strange World ride. It has a classic Disney feel that Strange World doesn't. A mixture of Avatar subs with Seabase Delta would very much keep with the original idea of Tomorrowland. Also we need a Tron ride and maybe a Black Hole overlay for Space Mountain.

D.Silentu

I'm on the fence as to whether an Avatar attraction would be a good idea at Disneyland. However, if there were to be one, I feel the Submarine Voyage is not the correct place for it. Borrowed from another thread, here are my thoughts:

If an Avatar attraction had to go anywhere at Disneyland, it ought to be the Magic Eye Theater. Aside from the bonus of replacing Disney's flavor of the month showcase, the attraction would return to its 3D roots, featuring the latest developments in that field. Intrinsically, it would take advantage of the most celebrated aspect of the film and presumably the sequels: the planet Pandora realized in 3D. Personally, I would appreciate another attraction at the park that allows me to rest a bit while being entertained.

I realize conventional wisdom is that 3D movie based attractions don't have staying power thanks to their repetitive nature. I would posit that there simply hasn't been one built that takes advantage of contemporary advancements. Star Tours, for example, has multiple sequences that play at random and an attraction film could adopt this method. What I think is even more exciting is the possibility of such a spontaneous approach to the 3D elements! The combined variety of different films in tandem with equally unpredictable 3D effects would foster repeat visits. Not to mention it's easy to imagine a theater filled with those floating luminescent jellyfish creatures.

The Magic Eye Theater already has a motion base to help sell the experience, perhaps of us landing on another planet. In theatre projection mapping is already being used by Universal with fantastic results. Incorporate the institutional mainstays of water spritzes, compressed air bursts, and scents and all put together I believe you have the recipe for a brand new kind of experience. I daresay it could be possible to blur the line between a 3D movie and a ride. Perhaps the most impressive show of this kind that I've ever seen was Terminator 2-3D, specifically the first and third act. This could be the next evolution of that sort of adventure and it may be fate that it stems from another James Cameron creation.

PiratesMansion

Pandora actually makes a good basis for a land or attraction because it's all about compelling environments. If you have a place with a cool environment, you're already a decent amount of the way there to an interesting land/attraction, and perhaps that's why Pandora works better than Avengers Campus or SW:GE.

To return to the original question: since the new Avatar appears to be water-based and there's a certain backbone of tech and wonder to Avatar, it MIGHT actually work better than Finding Nemo, which doesn't really work at all IMO. Since I imagine the likelihood of the OG Submarine Voyage is unlikely, if the subs MUST be tied to an IP to stick around, there's no reason to believe Avatar would be any worse than what's there right now.

That said, I doubt the park would do anything about it. Nemo, stale though it is, already gets decent lines and just opened in great shape from its post-closure refurb. So I imagine the park would view any expense to retheme it to Avatar to be a waste, especially since I'm sure it'll be very tempting to get rid of the subs the moment the existing vehicles are no longer viable.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Pandora actually makes a good basis for a land or attraction because it's all about compelling environments. If you have a place with a cool environment, you're already a decent amount of the way there to an interesting land/attraction, and perhaps that's why Pandora works better than Avengers Campus or SW:GE.

To return to the original question: since the new Avatar appears to be water-based and there's a certain backbone of tech and wonder to Avatar, it MIGHT actually work better than Finding Nemo, which doesn't really work at all IMO. Since I imagine the likelihood of the OG Submarine Voyage is unlikely, if the subs MUST be tied to an IP to stick around, there's no reason to believe Avatar would be any worse than what's there right now.

That said, I doubt the park would do anything about it. Nemo, stale though it is, already gets decent lines and just opened in great shape from its post-closure refurb. So I imagine the park would view any expense to retheme it to Avatar to be a waste, especially since I'm sure it'll be very tempting to get rid of the subs the moment the existing vehicles are no longer viable.
Due to the park constantly being packed, the subs will aways have decent lines. There is no reason to spend money. The parks would need to see attendance drop or a series of ride failures resulting in guest death for things to change. My guess is one of these will happen by 2030.

D.Silentu

While I might prefer Avatar in the submarines over the current Nemo experience, there is an inherent drawback: scope. Pandora is presented in the movies in wide, sweeping ways that a foot tall porthole would have trouble doing justice to. In part, this is why I advocate the 3D film approach as I don’t believe Disney would be willing to remodel the Submarine Voyage vehicles. Not to mention that all new rides ought to aim at adding capacity.

mickEblu

While I might prefer Avatar in the submarines over the current Nemo experience, there is an inherent drawback: scope. Pandora is presented in the movies in wide, sweeping ways that a foot tall porthole would have trouble doing justice to. In part, this is why I advocate the 3D film approach as I don’t believe Disney would be willing to remodel the Submarine Voyage vehicles. Not to mention that all new rides ought to aim at adding capacity.

Yeah you re right with all things considered Disneyland Forward would really be the only way to do the IP justice. Although I’d be fine with an Avatar retheme of Nemo there really is no good reason for Disney to do something like that. It not only kills future expansion possibilities but it’s High risk/ low reward. A simple retheme of Nemo (even if expanded somewhat) would be a waste of money and just be a kind of short term stop gap. The Subs would need some serious investment (show building, more real estate, enhanced ride system) to be worth the undertaking…. In Disneys eyes.

Granted, it doesn’t have to be the floating mountains etc. but I don’t want any single IP lands inside the berm. I’d prefer any single IP land to go to DCA but outside the berm of Disneyland is fair game. With all of that said I still believe that an Avatar subs ride can work with many different versions of TL. It’s just a pretty lagoon from the outside and exploration/ space exploration theme would work with nearly any realistic version of TL they can cook up. They could just do a simple Avatar retheme of Nemo and use all the Autopia real estate for a Fantasyland expansion. That would be the smart investment based on the the park/ company’s history. The fantasy/ fairy tale well never runs dry and they haven’t had the most success with Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland going back to its retro modern roots aesthetically with Nemo and Buzz rethemes is a relatively low cost/ high reward move. A lot of my ideas of course are based around the fact that I view the lagoon/ monorail/ Matterhorn vista as untouchable. I’d most likely lament the loss of Autopia and all of those trees but I’d be willing to take the risk if the right project came along.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I think a 20K Leagues under the Sea ride based on Avatar could be done and still leave room for other stuff that isn't necessarily Avatar. We could explore Pandora via a submarine wormhole and see some underwater mechs fighting those dolphin/dragon things. The rest of the area could be taken up with other scifi based rides.

Oh course, Innovations would become Horizons 2.0 but we've already heard that idea.

CaptinEO

This isn’t Walt Disney and the Nine Old Men anymore. For me, “Disney artist” really doesn’t carry any more weight than Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm or even some of the companies they don’t own. The people that brought us Strange World, Raya, Wreck it Ralph 2, Turning Red and Lightyear (Pixar I know but the lines are blurred between the studios more everyday) to name a few do not hold a special place in my heart. For me something created by James Cameron or George Lucas are more Disney than most of the crap they re putting out these days.

Same goes for the new imagineers. I don’t think I can name one or think that any of the current crop at Disney are any better than people working at Universal Creative.

Disney just happens to be the name of the visionary who founded the company that now 100 years later has become the meaningless name of a huge soulless corporation that bought a bunch of other companies. The name used to be synonymous with quality and family friendly content. They have lost their way.
100% this. J Cameron is at least a creative and visionary. I don't know what the Disney name means anymore.

Cameron makes big blockbuster movies but he earned his way to that status.

Avatar isn't on the same level as Terminator or True Lies but I can respect his career and his movies aren't designed by committee.

Also Finding Nemo has way too much over representation in the parks and the Nemo subs are terrible. I liked it better as a lagoon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom