Authenticity of Epcot Cast Members?

Daydream Believer

Original Poster
Are the cast members for the 11 Epcot countries required to be from those countries? In Epcot Morocco last Spring Break I was surprised to find a cast member who was from America but had Moroccan parents. Is this normal? I realize that Epcot is made up of many "Lands," but what is the policy for the Cast Members staffed at the various countries? Just curious b/c I always thought I was so wonderful to have cast members representing their home countries. Could there ever be an Epcot w/ random cast members at each country?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Are the cast members for the 11 Epcot countries required to be from those countries? In Epcot Morocco last Spring Break I was surprised to find a cast member who was from America but had Moroccan parents. Is this normal? I realize that Epcot is made up of many "Lands," but what is the policy for the Cast Members staffed at the various countries? Just curious b/c I always thought I was so wonderful to have cast members representing their home countries. Could there ever be an Epcot w/ random cast members at each country?

After working with lots of the World Showcase CM's, probably 90% are from their respective countries, but not all of them are for whatever reason.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I imagine there would be a certain number of locals required to fill in when the folks on work visas are sick, get home-sick and leave or whatever else might come up. Staffing solely on the basis of foreign citizens that need to be pre-screened and get visas before they come would be risky, you never know for sure they'll stay.

MarkTwain

After working with lots of the World Showcase CM's, probably 90% are from their respective countries, but not all of them are for whatever reason.

Accurate. Some WS cast are simply of the right heritage, in many cases a knowledge of the language isn't even required.

AndyS2992

When I was last in the UK pavilion we were served by a nice guy from Dublin, Ireland. The Republic of Ireland is not in the United Kingdom lol

Texas84

When it was the Yakitori there were usually CMs from other far east nations. After the refurb I always see Japanese CMs working there.

castlecake2.0

Im a former Cultural Representative for the Canada Pavilion, heres how it works: The majority of Cast are on one year work programs to represent their country. Though each pavilion does have people that live in the US full time now, in order to wear the "national costume" they do have to be originally from the country or have lived in that country (dual citizen perhaps). Other Cast and leaders can work in the Pavilion even if they are not from there, but wear business attire or the lovely 'flag shirt', as they are not representing that country.

Daydream Believer

Original Poster
Im a former Cultural Representative for the Canada Pavilion, heres how it works: The majority of Cast are on one year work programs to represent their country. Though each pavilion does have people that live in the US full time now, in order to wear the "national costume" they do have to be originally from the country or have lived in that country (dual citizen perhaps). Other Cast and leaders can work in the Pavilion even if they are not from there, but wear business attire or the lovely 'flag shirt', as they are not representing that country.
I didn't even notice the "my parents are from Morocco" person's shirt :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom