Aulani, i have questions!

dreday3

Original Poster
Not Aulani-related, but Hawaii-coming-home-to-Central-time-zone related...We went to Maui in January and the jet-lag coming home killed us for almost a week. It was no joke. That is the only reason I'm not planning a return trip. It was ROUGH.

I'm so annoyed at Disney right now that I'm looking at Mexico or Puerto Rico instead! 😂

But really thanks. This is something we will have to keep in mind.

jaklgreen

Thanks!

We are planning to go in May 2024. We will be flying to LA, doing 2 nights there to see Disneyland/DCA, then from there to Hawaii.

The current plan is to do 8 nights total in Hawaii. Some want to split between Maui and Oahu. Some feel we can find enough to do in Oahu without splitting. We would be renting a car. My husband was stationed on Oahu for 3 years, so he knows Island well and already has about 20 days worth of stuff for us to see. :D
I feel like Oahu will have a good mix of natural beauty, resort days and then we can go into Waikiki sometimes to eat/shop/see the Brady Bunch filming location. 😂

Do you guys think 8 nights at Aualani is too long? I saw some other places that seemed maybe a bit more luxurious, but way more expensive.
I watched videos - we have people coming that don't love Disney, but the hotel doesn't seem too over the top with Disney, right? And they can avoid character greets.

Is May a good time to go? How far out should we plan to book if we stay there? We'd be paying cash, not DVC.
Nope, it is not too long. On our first trip 4 years ago, we stopped at DL for a couple of days also. Then we spent 2 weeks at Aulani and 3 nights at a hotel in Waikiki. Last year, we went straight to Oahu and stayed 16 nights at Aulani and 5 nights in Waikiki. There is plenty to do on Oahu and it is NEVER long enough. May is a great time to go.

MickeyCB

Sorry to hijack your Aulani thread, but we're going in 2 weeks so very interested in all of these posts!
We're flying Pittsburgh to Sacramento, meeting my daughter, son in law and grandbaby, staying there one day and flying on to Oahu staying at Aulani 7 nights.
We've got the Aulani luau scheduled, the Polynesian Cult Center and Luau, and the marine park scheduled.
We hope to be able to go to the Bishop Museum also.
My son in law is a big foodie and has been putting together a list of places he wants to eat at. (I did schedule the Aulani character breakfast for me my granddaughter)! 🤣
If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them!
Our grandbaby is 21 months old so that limits some activity choices.

dreday3

Original Poster
Nope, it is not too long. On our first trip 4 years ago, we stopped at DL for a couple of days also. Then we spent 2 weeks at Aulani and 3 nights at a hotel in Waikiki. Last year, we went straight to Oahu and stayed 16 nights at Aulani and 5 nights in Waikiki. There is plenty to do on Oahu and it is NEVER long enough. May is a great time to go.

Thank you!

Heppenheimer

I'm bumping this up, because I'm going to a conference at Aulani in March, and bringing along the family (they would never forgive me otherwise). I've spent a lot of time on Oahu, so I know plenty of other stuff to do on the island, but I'd like to keep this thread going for Aulani-specific questions as they pop up.

How's the food at the resort, by the way? Disney food is usually all over the place in quality.

I assume they have a luau (or luau-like event). Is this nightly, and does it need to be booked?

Also stopping off at Disneyland for a pit stop (and using up some reward dollars that would otherwise expire), but I've been there plenty of times before.

CaptainAmerica

How's the food at the resort, by the way? Disney food is usually all over the place in quality.
Extremely expensive, but pretty good IMO. Monkeypod across the street is very good for family casual, and if you're eating early because of the time change they have great happy hour specials. Mina's Fish House at the Four Seasons next door seems to be a lot of people's favorite for fine dining.

I assume they have a luau (or luau-like event). Is this nightly, and does it need to be booked?
KA WA'A Luau. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.

Yes it needs to be booked. VIP is worth it IMO. Seating is first-come, first-served within each section (i.e. if you book VIP and arrive early, you'll be seated in the best VIP seats).

Also stopping off at Disneyland for a pit stop (and using up some reward dollars that would otherwise expire), but I've been there plenty of times before.
I'd recommend stopping on the way home rather than on the way there if you have the option.

Lilofan

I'm bumping this up, because I'm going to a conference at Aulani in March, and bringing along the family (they would never forgive me otherwise). I've spent a lot of time on Oahu, so I know plenty of other stuff to do on the island, but I'd like to keep this thread going for Aulani-specific questions as they pop up.

I heard that the luau at Aulani is $200 plus per person! I recall when luas were $60 pre 9/11 when I was in Honolulu. What is unique about Hi, is the beaches including hotel beaches beaches like Aulani are all open to the public. There are no private beaches.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

I heard that the luau at Aulani is $200 plus per person! I recall when luas were $60 pre 9/11 when I was in Honolulu. What is unique about Hi, is the new beaches including hotel beaches beaches like Aulani are all open to the public. There are no private beaches.
$200?! Since my kids are too young to appreciate it, I think we'll skip it this trip.

CaptainAmerica

I heard that the luau at Aulani is $200 plus per person!
Why do you say things that are completely made up?

The luau at Aulani is $170 per adult, and $99 for children. The Preferred package is $199 per adult, and $119 for children. Both the standard and preferred categories include unlimited food and alcohol.

These prices are completely in line with other luaus. The Polynesian Cultural Center is $185 for adults and $148 for children. No alcohol.

There are certainly some that are cheaper and some that are more expensive. It might be slightly more expensive than average but it's nowhere near abnormally priced.

Lilofan

The luau at Aulani is $170 per adult, and $99 for children. The Preferred package is $199 per adult, and $119 for children. Both the standard and preferred categories include unlimited food and alcohol.

These prices are completely in line with other luaus. The Polynesian Cultural Center is $185 for adults and $148 for children. No alcohol.

There are certainly some that are cheaper and some that are more expensive. It might be slightly more expensive than average but it's nowhere near abnormally priced.
You are off base. The person that did attend did pay $200 per person. I went to HI pre 9/11 - 2001.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

I'd recommend stopping on the way home rather than on the way there if you have the option.
The timing of work and the conference won't allow that, but I'm just wondering your reasoning for the recommendation. We've made a similar trip previously, although we stayed on the Big Island, and it worked out just fine. We've also visited Disneyland enough times now that we don't need to try to fit in everything, and can just do a leisurely three night visit.

CaptainAmerica

The timing of work and the conference won't allow that, but I'm just wondering your reasoning for the recommendation. We've made a similar trip previously, although we stayed on the Big Island, and it worked out just fine. We've also visited Disneyland enough times now that we don't need to try to fit in everything, and can just do a leisurely three night visit.
I find that jet lag is much "gentler" flying West than flying East.

If I leave Boston at 8am and land in Honolulu at 3pm, I can go to bed early and I'm pretty much adjusted to the time change immediately.

If I leave Honolulu at 3pm and land in Boston at 7am the next day, I'm completely toast for another whole day after that.

Heppenheimer

I find that jet lag is much "gentler" flying West than flying East.

If I leave Boston at 8am and land in Honolulu at 3pm, I can go to bed early and I'm pretty much adjusted to the time change immediately.

If I leave Honolulu at 3pm and land in Boston at 7am the next day, I'm completely toast for another whole day after that.
I find flying east to west means I wake up at my eastern rising time for the next week or two, no matter how tired I am when I go to bed. The conference only takes place during the morning hours anyway, so I should be wide awake.

MickeyCB

We just got back from Aulani the 1st week of October.
We paid $208.38/adult for Preferred at the Aulani luau and $218.66/adult "super ambassador luau" (this included a guide during the days that was well worth the cost), at the Polynesian Cultural Center.
The Aulani preferred did have alcohol and both had an all you can eat buffet.
Though expensive we did feel that with the activities before, and entertainment before and after dinner that our experience at the Aulani luau was worth the money we spent.
Anyone curious, I am in the middle of a trip report about our recent stay. It's called a little bit of Disney and a lot of luaus.

CaptainAmerica

Though expensive we did feel that with the activities before, and entertainment before and after dinner that our experience at the Aulani luau was worth the money we spent.
I'm glad to hear that those activities have returned. I felt that the pre-COVID experience was definitely worth the cost, but I was disappointed with the watered-down experience they were offering in the initial reopening.

Heppenheimer

We just got back from Aulani the 1st week of October.
We paid $208.38/adult for Preferred at the Aulani luau and $218.66/adult "super ambassador luau" (this included a guide during the days that was well worth the cost), at the Polynesian Cultural Center.
The Aulani preferred did have alcohol and both had an all you can eat buffet.
Anyone curious, I am in the middle of a trip report about our recent stay. It's called a little bit of Disney and a lot of luaus.
I eagerly await the full report.

Heppenheimer

Alright, next question. We're approaching our Aulani trip, and we'll be within the dining reservation window soon. Now, Disney has long since conditioned us to reserve our desired restaurants in the parks ridiculously early. Is this really necessary at Aulani, or can I figure it out once I'm actually at the resort? I don't plan to eat dinner there every night, but I would like to try Makahiki for the character breakfast, and 'Ama 'Ama for dinner at least once or twice.

I just hate booking restaurants so far in advanced.

Anyone familiar with the North Shore, is Haleiwa Joe's still worth the drive? I remember eating some of the best seafood of my life there, but this was around 18 years ago. I see that it is still open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom