August in Disney?

Tigger Trainer

I unfortunately don't have any advice, but I was wondering about travel in Aug as well. I have heard that mid to late Aug is one of the best times of the year to go. Any thoughts about this? Has anyone ever had trouble with Hurricanes during this period?

Is your 5 year old a boy or girl? This might help in planning for princesses or other events.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Late August is almost as good as September (some will argue better). The summer crowds certainly die down towards the end. It's hot, real hot (but so is a lot of other months in Florida) but still managable. I loved early morning and late evening touring. Midday breaks in the pool will save the day.

Upvote 0

jenluvswdw

August is really the only time we get to go. I agree with NewfieFan. It is vital to get out early, nap/rest back at the resort during midday and go out in the evening!! Cool off in shops in indoor rides. Bring those "fan/spray bottles" and my DH would carry a rag that was in the freezer and place on his neck. Of course drink plenty of H2o!!! If you resign your self that it will be hot you will get past it and have an awesome time. And the crowds are not bad at all when you are going! I will be there the week before you.:)

Upvote 0

Alison1975

Just booked for August 23 - 30th, 2013!!! Have never been during this time frame, any suggestions as to how to plan a great trip with a 5 year old??:p

Bring ( or have delivered) lots of water. Get a misting fan for the wee one ( went in August 2011 with a 5 year old..and 7 and 9 and 18..lol). Take it slow as the heat can get to you fast and them faster!

Upvote 0

sgtmgd

Late August is almost as good as September (some will argue better). The summer crowds certainly die down towards the end. It's hot, real hot (but so is a lot of other months in Florida) but still managable. I loved early morning and late evening touring. Midday breaks in the pool will save the day.

Not just hot..but extreamly Humid...keep that in mind

Upvote 0

jlevis

We were there this past August from the 5th to the 19th. Our 6 grandkids 24 to 4 years and a 3 week old were there too. Yes it is hot but managable. Go early, as in rope drop, drink lots of water, take advantage of air conditioned shops, rest often. Mid-afternoon breaks are a good idea some pool time & naps for the kids.

Upvote 0

Vader2112

Good time to visit crowds are lower as the local schools are back in session.Be prepared though as it will be very hot and humid. Getting toward the end of the rainy season here in FL. Plan some extra time by the pool! The smaller crowds will also make the heat more bearable. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Minnie1976

Florida in August is hot. I went one time in August and decided never again and I'm from the south. Hurricanes can come anytime from June to November. It seems some years they are more active in August and September.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

It's a great time to go, as crowds are VERY managable. Problem is the HEAT! Plan to get to the parks early and taking mid-day breaks back at the resort to swim. That is what we always do. Invest in one of those spray bottle fans too! That was a life saver last time we were there in August! Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

WDWNooby

As well as lots of water, I'd like to suggest one more thing (please don't be offended), particularly for males. Purchase some Body Glide (used commonly by runners) and use it like crazy (take some zinc ointment too aka diaper rash meds). It was incredibly hot and humid when we went (115+ with humidity) and needless to say, we all had some issues, in particular my son. Fortunately the store at the Poly had ointment in stock.

You can use Body Glide on the usual suspect areas but also on your feet to avoid blistering :) if you're prone to get those. Remember, blacktop in the heat of the summer sun is killer even with shoes on!

Upvote 0

jlevis

Re: water, we all carried Brita filtering water bottles a refilled at water fountains as needed. You can get free ice water at QS counters, too.

Upvote 0

wiigirl

Not just hot..but extreamly Humid...keep that in mind

Yes....if your not used to humidity, defiently factor that in!
75.gif

Upvote 0

twinnstar

i dont have any tips but this is actually the exact time frame i usually go!! i feel like its the best! its still hot (i know not everyone would like that, but to me - its part of going to WDW haha), but its not so crowded. i think its cause kids start going back to school and most people have already taken their summer vacations by then. you picked a perfect time to go!

Upvote 0

victoryyy

We went in May 2011 and August 2012 and thought May was hotter. Not sure if it was actually or not or if we just prepared ourselves better and didn't dwell on it.

As for Hurricane,s near the end of our stay Hurricane Issac was near by. It poured from late one night until noon the next day. We went to AK anyway and the crowds at every park were non exist, it was great. The day after all the rain everything was jammed.

It is humid and will likely ran in the late afternoon many days, again just prepare for it. They storms don't tend to last too long.

We planned on going early to the parks, take an afternoon break then return to the park later on. With a 2 and 4 year old this didn't work out too well. They were tired from the morning and swimming in the afternoon. We found it better to stay at the park most of the day and then leave mid/late afternoon, go for dinner, downtown disney, pool etc. Be flexible. If you don't plan to stay late at night try to avoid the parks with nighttime extra magic hours as they tend to be busier.

Upvote 0

afar28

I go every August. I'm actually going te same time as you next year. I think it's a good time to go. Crowds tend to be low, and if you're comfortable with hot weather, it's better than July weather. Te only problem is it rains everyday, but not enough to ruin your stay. It rains about 2-4 times a day for about 10 minutes to an hour each time. If you plan around it, then you'll have a great time! Hope you have a great vacation when it comes :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom