August Crowds

Familyfun

First Timers to Disney in August.. We are going the 12th through the 20th
staying at the POR.. Any advice on the crowds that time of year ? I have also heard that MGM sometimes closes earlier than the scedule post. Anyone ever experience that ?

col

ive been august through to september (thats part of the hurricaine season) and experienced one hurricaine, so be prepared -but disney is the safest place to be during a hurricaine.

crowds are mixed i would say it would depend on what parks you go to and on what days.

when i went wishes was only on 1 night a week and that was a wednesday so i missed it -but i made up for that :animwink: :D .

have fun but pack some warm clothes coz it does get windy and cold!:wave:

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

col said:

In August? :veryconfu I've at WDW in August several times but have never experienced the cold (except, of course, inside an air-conditioned theater!)

I just posted this link on another thread but a helpful site for determining crowd levels is www.touringplans.com. Just click on the "Updated Crowd Calendar" and scroll down to the dates you will be there. You will also find suggestions for which park to visit and which to avoid on a particular date. This is the companion site to "The Unofficial Guide to WDW". The Unofficial Guide provides (and maybe their website does, too) a suggested touring plan for each park in order to avoid waiting lines. Beware, however, that their touring plans can take some of the thrill of "discovery" out of the parks. BUT, unless your idea of a great vacation is standing in line for hours, you may find their plans to be worth the loss of spontaneity.

Upvote 0

col

so if theres a hurricaine it doesnt get cold?:veryconfu
when i was there it did, but we still went out coz it was just like a british winters day for us!

i wouldnt take any notice to "crowd guides" tahts just a rough guide to what its going to be like -not the actual fact. people on these boards said that the MK will be packed out on xmas day and be turning people away when it wasnt even like that i went home during the afternoon and they where still letting people in and when i returned about an hour or 2 later it wasnt even crowded let alone turning people away!!

go with your gut -go to whatever park you want when you want!!!!

Upvote 0

dandaman

The crowds last August seemed lighter than even a trip in May. I managed to get in 6 rides in a row on Splash Mountain on one day of the trip, between 9:00 a.m. and 10:30. The biggest line I saw the whole trip was for Soarin' (90 minutes, and that's apparently short, by Soarin' standards).

Upvote 0

LouDisney

col said:

You must be thinking of another time, August is the hottest month for us in the south. September is not much better.

Familyfun I have made two trips to WDW in August. I actually went last summer around the same exact time you are going. The crowds were not bad to me, now they were not light, but it was not unbearable.

I think MGM closed at 9 or 10 the nights we were there.

Upvote 0

swimmom

We went in 1999 from August 18-24th and the crowds were not bad. However when we were in the MK on Sunday it was pretty crowded.

Upvote 0

col

LouDisney said:
You must be thinking of another time, August is the hottest month for us in the south. September is not much better.

Familyfun I have made two trips to WDW in August. I actually went last summer around the same exact time you are going. The crowds were not bad to me, now they were not light, but it was not unbearable.

I think MGM closed at 9 or 10 the nights we were there.

what i meant was when the feel of the hurricaine starts it MIGHT get cold. everyones different.
the day we got to go out after being put on a curfew we wnet to MK and it was deserted no lines for anything so when MK shut we got the monorail to epcot and went on some rides and watched illuminations!

last year in may '05 it was the hottest its ever been for me.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Cold in August? Maybe if you live at the equator year-round. The RECORD low for the entire month of August is 60º. I hardly consider that cold...however, if you get stuck in an August t-storm w/o a poncho or umbrella and then hop on an air-conditioned bus, you will DEFINITELY be freezing. The air temperature is never cold in FL in August, though. I always just pack sandals and a poncho when I visit in the summer--switch out of sneakers and put on the poncho if it's raining, and you are good to go (I can't wear sandals all day for a week at Disney...it would rip my feet apart).

Upvote 0
I think this is a great time to visit Disney because the summer crowds will be leaving. My trips take place July 31-August 7 and it seems like there are a lot of people that check out around that time. Also, the park hours normally reduce about the second week of August. Have fun!

"Please do not strike the car ahead."-Recording at Tomorrowland Speedway as two young children plow full speed into the rear of the car ahead of them!!

Upvote 0

LouDisney

col said:
what i meant was when the feel of the hurricaine starts it MIGHT get cold. everyones different.
the day we got to go out after being put on a curfew we wnet to MK and it was deserted no lines for anything so when MK shut we got the monorail to epcot and went on some rides and watched illuminations!

last year in may '05 it was the hottest its ever been for me.

You know I went in May 04 and it was like August hot that year too!

Upvote 0

daverube

We went in late August last year. It was hot, as expected, but the crowds weren't as big as I thought they would be.

Many English folks in the park. I was told by a couple that I struck up a conversation with that they were on holiday during July and August and sometime stay in Disney for a month!!

Anyway, I thought it was enjoyable until we couldn't return home to New Orleans (we were supposed to leave the day Katrina hit)....

Have a good time!!!

Upvote 0

siamese133

We've been there in Aug 02 / Aug 04 / Aug 05............we were there for Hurrican Charlie in 04, pretty intense. Disney even closed down. The weather has been bearable, though I must say last August seemed to be the hottest of the 3 times we've gone. Crowds - Generally heavier early in the month, but most of the FLA kids go back to school by the 8th or so, so that helps reduce the crowds on the weekdays. And of course, you get rain just about every afternoon.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

I worked as a seasonal Cast Member in Fantasyland last summer, and let me assure you the August weather was HOT!!! :cool: Mid-to-late August was less crowded than July, but still very busy. Be prepared for daily afternoon rain showers as well as hot weather.

Have a great time! :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom