Attractions Without Stories?

Style

Original Poster
It hit me as I was falling asleep last night; Big Thunder Railroad doesn't have a story! Are there any other rides you think could use a story "facelift"?

Oriolesmagic

It hit me as I was falling asleep last night; Big Thunder Railroad doesn't have a story! Are there any other rides you think could use a story "facelift"?

If I remember correctly, it actually does have a backstory, but it just isn't explained thoroughly throughout the ride.

Choodles

Nope here is the story for one of them

Although the details of the backstory vary from park to park, all follow the same general story arcs. Some time in the late 1800s, gold was discovered on Big Thunder Mountain in the American southwest. Overnight, the small mining town of Big Thunder (at Disneyland), Tumbleweed (at the Magic Kingdom), or Thunder Mesa (at Disneyland Paris) became a thriving mining town. Mining was prosperous, and an extensive line of mine trains was set up to transport the ore. Unknown to the settlers, the Mountain was a sacred spot to local Native Americans and was cursed.[1]

Before long, the settlers' desecration of the mountain caused a great tragedy, which, depending on the park, is usually depicted to be an earthquake (Disneyland Paris, Disneyland) or a flash flood (Magic Kingdom), which befell the mines and town, and the town was abandoned. Some time later, the locomotives were found to be racing around the mountain on their own, without engineers or a crew. The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was founded in the old mining camp to allow tourists to take rides on the possessed trains.

Inspired by real-life Bryce Canyon, the Hoodoos of Big Thunder in Disneyland as seen from the Big Thunder Trail that passes behind the ride.
Keeping in time with the theme, the station buildings on all four versions of the ride are designed to look as though they are the abandoned offices of a mining company from the mid to late 19th century. The mountains themselves are themed to the red rock formations of the American Southwest. The rock work designs on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are based on the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah.

In the Magic Kingdom version of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and in the Tokyo and Paris versions, the rockwork designs are based on the rising buttes that are located in Utah and Arizona's Monument Valley. Special care was taken by the Imagineers to make it appear that the rocks were there originally, and the track was built around the rocks, unlike a number of earlier mine rides, which were built the other way around (by sculpting the rocks around the tracks).[2] The action of the ride takes place completely in the sagging, rotting tunnels of the mountain. In contrast to most steel roller coasters, where the thrills come from the perception of flying through open air, the thrills on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are meant to come from the perceived instability of the mine and its threats of collapse. Sound effects of a typical locomotive operation are piped into the surrounding scenery to add realism to guests viewing the ride from observation platforms, including the steam whistle sounding, even though there is no whistle displayed on the locomotives.

Walt Disney1955

Astro Orbiter, Space Mountain, Tomorrowland Speedway, Tomorrowland Transit Authority come to mind. Would Small World even have a story behind it other than the fact you are going through all of the continents?

Choodles

Astro Orbiter, Space Mountain, Tomorrowland Speedway, Tomorrowland Transit Authority come to mind. Would Small World even have a story behind it other than the fact you are going through all of the continents?

TTA has a story it's a tour of TL.

MarkTwain

Do all rides need stories? Attractions like Astro Orbitor and Space Mountain seem to work as extremely popular and well-themed attractions without them. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom