Attractions that haven't aged very well

Krack

Great movie ride

I love it but what the hell are most of the movies???!!!!???

Just a thought ... why don't you ask somebody and watch them? Or better yet ... Google is your friend (25 years ago, my parents would say "look it up in the encyclopedia" - I guess this is the modern day equivalent).

Here, I'll solve part one of your dilemma:

Footlight on Parade
Singing in the Rain
Mary Poppins
The Public Enemy
The Searchers
A Fist Full of Dollars
Alien
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Tarzan
Casablanca
Fantasia
The Wizard of Oz

Except for Tarzan and Footlight on Parade, the other 10 are on free television constantly. You may not like all of them (or even any of them), but you should watch them and see - somebody must like them for them to be judged worthy of inclusion in the ride.

Geez, I feel like everybody's Dad - I'm not even 35.

ryno1982

I kind of disagree with UoE (as to being outdated). Most of what they present has basically been proven, is germaine to today (with alternative energy usages), and heck, Jeopardy is still on the air. :)

The problem is that Jeopardy is still on the air, has a different set, and Trebek hasn't had a mustache in 8 years. Not to mention Ellen and Jamie Lee Curtis have aged considerably. The point being that while the material covered might not be dated, the attraction still shows its age.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The problem is that Jeopardy is still on the air, has a different set, and Trebek hasn't had a mustache in 8 years. Not to mention Ellen and Jamie Lee Curtis have aged considerably. The point being that while the material covered might not be dated, the attraction still shows its age.

Agreed, it can't be that difficult or expensive to film some new segments...can it???

Krack

Agreed, it can't be that difficult or expensive to film some new segments...can it???

All of the original Future World attractions were designed to be easily updated every few years, including the films at the Universe of Energy. It's management's fault that they basically took an "it's good enough" attitude and gave up.

olmec26

Although, to be fair, the Jeopardy! set in the attraction isn't the actual Jeopardy! set from that time. WDI built a not-so-exact replica, using columns of monitors instead of a bank of them. The contestants' lecterns are also different, especially the scoreboard.

That being said, it couldn't kill them to film some new segments (especially because Jeopardy! just got a new set and probably won't be changing it for quite some time).

friedriches

After riding Splash Mountain on Friday, I just can't help but notice how considerably dated the Animatronics on that ride have become, especially considering how awe-inspiring the next-gen AAs are. The ride show itself is beginning to show its age, and though I will ALWAYS love it regardless of what its AAs look like, I would love to see it given a little TLC to regain its superstar status.

Spaceship Earth's old AAs are rough compared to the new ones IN THE SAME RIDE.

Space Mountain's creepy sunglasses people, an age old problem, need to be remedied. Unless, of course, WDI likes it when I scream, "Creepy sunglass-wearing people!" every time I ride. (I literally do.)

Monsterfan99

Snow White and the "line" shows the fact as well.

Sounds Dangerous might be the worst. I saw it 2 weeks ago and the film looked like it was a bad 4th genertation VHS bootleg. Also, every single TV show mentioned in the pre-show, minus the soap operas, are off the air.

DisneyMusician2

If you don't know the movies in GMR, that is a sign that you should take a film class, not revamp the ride. :)

Those movies are classics and those actors pictured really helped to mold our movies today. We always say that Disney has too much Pop Culture reference. I'd hate GMR to turn into a ride through only Pixar and bad recent Disney studio movies instead of a trip through classic Hollywood and some of the greatest movies ever made.

Back on topic, I think those country bears looks the most dated of any attraction on property. The look so old and sad....

Someone actually mentioned The Tiki Room, and this may be the best example of a timeless but really odd attraction that was really messed up. It was great for a couple of years, but now looks like a show stuck in the mid-90's.

drossjr

The problem with a question like this is that most of the time, the answer is going to be (as hard as this may be to believe) the newer attractions. The reasoning behind this is that Disney used to build timeless attractions, while recently, they tend to build (or rehab into) attractions with pop culture references that are dated 15 minutes after they are built.

For example, the Enchanted Tiki Room is a timeless classic. No matter when you visit it, it will feel like 1950s Polynesia. Under New Management? Dated, sarcastic pop culture crap.

Another example? The World of Motion would never and could never be dated - it was a history lesson on transportation. Test Track? It's about as futuristic and as a trip to a local car wash.

Journey Into Imagination? Timeless. Imagination Institute? Dated. Honey I Shrunk the Audience? Dated.

Superstar Television? Great concept. Want to freshen it up? Add some current TV shows to supplement the older classics (like Cheers and I Love Lucy); would have been relatively inexpensive. Redo the whole studio to American Idol? Within 5 years all you will hear in that studio is crickets chirping.

Sometimes WDI/TDO doesn't know how to leave well enough alone. And often times they don't aspire to "timeless" - they go right for "hip, trendy and dated in 5 years".

Pirates will never be dated. The Haunted Mansion will never be dated. Big Thunder Mountain will never be dated. Splash Mountain will never be dated. The American Adventure will never be dated. There's a reason why.

I agree with all your points you listed above with the exception of Test Track. I am a huge fan of World of Motion but I do love Test Track and so do many others because its always busy. The fact is the ride vehicles havent aged very well and look like they are in poor condition but otherwise a great attraction

drossjr

If you don't know the movies in GMR, that is a sign that you should take a film class, not revamp the ride. :)

Those movies are classics and those actors pictured really helped to mold our movies today. We always say that Disney has too much Pop Culture reference. I'd hate GMR to turn into a ride through only Pixar and bad recent Disney studio movies instead of a trip through classic Hollywood and some of the greatest movies ever made.

O Snap! :ROFLOL:

DisneyNut2007

The problem with a question like this is that most of the time, the answer is going to be (as hard as this may be to believe) the newer attractions. The reasoning behind this is that Disney used to build timeless attractions, while recently, they tend to build (or rehab into) attractions with pop culture references that are dated 15 minutes after they are built.

For example, the Enchanted Tiki Room is a timeless classic. No matter when you visit it, it will feel like 1950s Polynesia. Under New Management? Dated, sarcastic pop culture crap.

Another example? The World of Motion would never and could never be dated - it was a history lesson on transportation. Test Track? It's about as futuristic and as a trip to a local car wash.

Journey Into Imagination? Timeless. Imagination Institute? Dated. Honey I Shrunk the Audience? Dated.

Superstar Television? Great concept. Want to freshen it up? Add some current TV shows to supplement the older classics (like Cheers and I Love Lucy); would have been relatively inexpensive. Redo the whole studio to American Idol? Within 5 years all you will hear in that studio is crickets chirping.

Sometimes WDI/TDO doesn't know how to leave well enough alone. And often times they don't aspire to "timeless" - they go right for "hip, trendy and dated in 5 years".

You're wrong and you know that you're wrong, Krack-head! :mad:

Be respectful of the newer attractions! :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom