Attractions that close during rain?

DreamIt

Original Poster
Can someone tell me which attraction close during rain? I'll be going in a couple of weeks and would like to know.

I seem to remember Test Track would close if there was lightning within a certain radius, rain or no rain. Is that still the case? What about Expedition Everest, Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain? Do those run if it is raining? What about the outdoor shows like Indy or Lights, Camera, Motors? Thanks!

DisneyJoe

Test Track will close even if it just gets wet, due to braking/traction issues, I believe.

Fantasmic! is affected by lightning.

laynalee07

Lights, Motor, Action will get delayed, and if the rain lasts for too long they cancel the whole show... they reset it for a later time that day.

DreamIt

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. My seven year old really wants to go on Test Track. We're worried that Gustav might interfere, so I want to set the expectations before we go September 6. The only reason we want to go to AK is to ride Everest, so if it's rainy that day we'll do another park instead.

kimmychad

not sure if they close the show all together when its raining, but the indiana jones stunt show was modified due to it raining earlier in the day and some things were wet the last time we went

SeaBreeze

If you're leaving on September 6, Gustav will not be an issue for you, even if he does drastically turn and bother Orlando. The other disturbances in the tropics right now would be the ones to watch for that date.

You will, however, likely have thunderstorms every afternoon as this is typical with summers here. When there's lightning, just be prepared for the attractions that go outside to be shut down. The good news is that the afternoon storms tend to move through quickly and everything will re-open with short lines :wave:

I talked to a Cast Member about this this past weekend. And it seems like the magic number is three miles away. Meaning if lightning or rain is within three miles they start to delay or close things.

I know for a fact that Test Track Closes, but it is not for braking issues. It is because they do not want you to be hit by stinging rain while you going 65 MPH in a convertable.

I live in Ft Lauderdale and can set my watch by the rain patterns in the Summer. Usually by 3 p.m. it is raining. So go to the rides that might close due to rain early in the day.

The biggest pain about rain is getting wet. I usually do not bring two pairs of sneakers with me, so if one gets soaked, I am back at the hotel spending my night drying them out. So you might want to bring an extra pair of shoes just in case.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I don't think they close down in the rain (although who knows if it's a torrential downpour) but they certainly will if there's lightning in the area.

Thanks for this information. What about attractions that are somewhat covered, but are still outside like Jungle Cruise, Cinderella's Carousel, Primeivel Whirl? Do they temporarily shut down due to lightening?

:wave:

BillsFanGabe

Splash Mountain Closes if there is lightning within about 15 miles.

I was on Splash Mountain last month and it was pooring, lighting, thunder etc. and when I was on the ride it stopped for a while so I kept hearing the same song over and over again, it was starting to get on my nerves, hahaha lol.

SeaBreeze

Thanks for this information. What about attractions that are somewhat covered, but are still outside like Jungle Cruise, Cinderella's Carousel, Primeivel Whirl? Do they temporarily shut down due to lightening?

:wave:

I'm pretty certain that if it's outside, covered or not, it's going to shut down temporarily when lightning is in the area. Florida has the most lightning strikes per year and a ride vehicle outside is a target, covered or not. If it's just raining though they will continue run. :wave:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I'm pretty certain that if it's outside, covered or not, it's going to shut down temporarily when lightning is in the area. Florida has the most lightning strikes per year and a ride vehicle outside is a target, covered or not. If it's just raining though they will continue run. :wave:

Again, thank you very much! :D

KingStefan

Lights, Motor, Action will get delayed, and if the rain lasts for too long they cancel the whole show... they reset it for a later time that day.

But they will run it on wet pavement. I was amazed at how those drivers can control the cars when it's wet. Just incredible! There's got to be a significant difference in the handling (almost goes without saying). I was really impressed.

SeaBreeze

Again, thank you very much! :D

Of course :wave:

I grew up with these parks, and worked there for a PI so Rainy WDW and I are likethis. If you see a dark cloud looming in the distance, head toward your favorite indoor area/attraction before the masses do when it gets closer and you can wait out the storm. Once it passes (and it usually does quickly), bolt to your fave attractions because the line won't exist yet :)

However, if there's lightning... try to stay inside. Am I paranoid? Maybe, but my dad was struck a couple years ago :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom