Attractions not working right

Mission: SPACE

Originally posted by AddyL
Yup, the Brer Rabbit animatronic was broken at least two consecutive days when I was there... not good. Also, the water didn't squirt over the boat in the Laughin' Place...have they just taken that part out, or was it broken, too?

I personally haven't seen it on in quite a while, and just assumed that it was no longer part of the ride... but since someone posted it's been this way for a month I guess they still normally use it??

T1nker_Bell

Test Track was always closed down because of the rain so I never got to ride it. Big Thunder Mountain was not working twice when we tried to ride it. Fortunately, we managed to get on it.

tigsmom

I realize that keeping up with every little detail takes a lot of time and effort. Since so much stuff seems to be left undone...do you think it is a result of all the cutbacks going on? Deal with the saftey issues and get to cosmetic when you can?

jojoyner55

I have to disagree that Disney "can't fix everything every day". There was a time, not so long ago, that that was exactly what they did. Back in '97, when my whole family spent the Christmas holiday there, my neice had a good example. While she was in line for TOT, a guest broke a light fixture in some horseplay that got out of hand. When she did the ride a bit over an hour later - The fixture was fixed. This is the Disney I remember. Unfortunately, last year, in July, on our most recent trip, this was not the case. This may seem a little thing, but what people are getting at here is that Disney never let anything be broken for hours, let alone days! This last trip, though...Our first day, we went to the studios. Going on the Rockin' Roller Coaster, one of the fans in the line area wasn't working. I joked to my son that it would be fixed when we came back later in the week. It wasn't. The simple fact is that they are cutting back; paint is peeling; things don't work. The parks are what made Disney (with the exception of Snow White, they were never finacially solvent in the movie buisness) Disneyland made Disney profitable; WDW even more so. Somebody at the top needs to realize that skrimping on the parks to help bail out ABC is simply wrong. What has made Disney is the attention to detail and care at the parks. If they sacrifice that, and alienate we "true believers" further, they are cutting their throats. Sorry for the rant, but the briiliance of Disney to me has always been the attention to detail; my last trip shows that is slipping, as others note here. I hope our Christmas trip this year doesn't show any further cuts in quality.

TURKEY

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate with this.

There's a difference between a broken light fixture (more than likely glass???) and a ceiling fan that's not working. A fan not working is no where near the safety issue of a broken light fixture.

There are more and more vandals at WDW. I worked at the American pavillion in WS. While working on the fountain, they put walls up around the work area. One night after closing, I was out cleaning my cart. I walk by the wall and notice people carving things into the walls. I notified 3rd shift maintanence and it was fixed by the next day. The day after that, there were more carvings and writtings on the walls. This pattern repeated for the next week or so.

There's a point at which it doesn't make sense to go back and repaint peeling paint every night when there will be more paint (possibly the same area) that will need it the next night.

By going back to when everything seems to be in perfect condition, there will need to be more than ABC being bailed out. Unfortunately, there won't be anything to bail out the parks.

I hate seeing Disney not be what it was when I was younger. I remember how great it was. I agree that major spots without paint should be taken care of. Light bulbs should be replaced. Malfunctioning ride items should be taken care of. However a fan that isn't working isn't going to be a top priority, nor should it be.

CTXRover

In defense of Disney, I would like to offer a few theories on why some of us notice more "imperfections" among property than before.

First, I for one know that a little over two years ago before I found this site, I never even found myself looking for areas of peeled paint or other little problems. However, once I started reading on here how people were noticing some paint chip here or there, I started finding myself looking for these problems also. Thus, maybe we are noticing little things that are wrong because over the last couple years we have seen the expanse of the internet and thus access to hundreds of people who are looking/noticing these things too, something not available during "Disney's younger years".

Also, maybe things aren't fixed everynight as we thought they were a couple years ago because the resort has expanded to somewhat "unmanageable" levels. Of course, that isn't an excuse, but maybe a new philosophy in rehabbing things occured as new parks, waterparks, golf courses, nighttime districts, etc. were added. It seems that individual areas now get rehabbed all at once, at one time during the year, rather than every night (does anyone know if this is in fact true?.)

Lastly, I think some people, in general, have become more malicious towards property. I've noticed more recently people defacing things in lines, waiting for parades, etc. then I ever noticed before. Maybe it is just getting impossible to keep up with this daily damage since the daily damage is actually worse then in previous years.

Of course, these theories should apply to only the "little" things. Animatronics in attractions should always work, unless they break during the day of operation.

Just a few of my thoughts :)

disney2b

Originally posted by AddyL
Just got back from WDW and though I had a purely magical time (as usual!) I noticed something disturbing that hasn't really been a problem before: lots of the attractions seemed to be broken.

Not that the whole attraction was broken mind you, just little things. The floor didn't move in Honey I Shrunk the audience. The hot breath didn't work in Alien Encounters. I didn't get "showered" in Muppetvision. The worst was Splash Mountain. One of the turtule fountains was broken, and the Brer Rabbit animatronic that is supposed to hop away was broken and hanging there limply, causing a small child in our log to shriek "Brer Rabit is dead!"

Individually, none of these things would be a big problem, but adding them all up it was starting to seem like a pattern. I know Disney is trying desperately to cut costs. Doesn this include not refurbishing attractions that really need it?

I've rode Splash Mountain probably over 50 times, and i see it broken a lot. It seemed like i read in the imageering book that it cost something like a million dollars though i may be mistaken. I finally saw Space Mountain with the lights on last summer. I think there are trying to cut on things we dont see. They want every experience to be magical though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom