Attractions not working right

AddyL

Original Poster
Just got back from WDW and though I had a purely magical time (as usual!) I noticed something disturbing that hasn't really been a problem before: lots of the attractions seemed to be broken.

Not that the whole attraction was broken mind you, just little things. The floor didn't move in Honey I Shrunk the audience. The hot breath didn't work in Alien Encounters. I didn't get "showered" in Muppetvision. The worst was Splash Mountain. One of the turtule fountains was broken, and the Brer Rabbit animatronic that is supposed to hop away was broken and hanging there limply, causing a small child in our log to shriek "Brer Rabit is dead!"

Individually, none of these things would be a big problem, but adding them all up it was starting to seem like a pattern. I know Disney is trying desperately to cut costs. Doesn this include not refurbishing attractions that really need it?

Mission: SPACE

I've noticed a couple of things like this at times while I'm at the parks, and I seem to just throw it off as 'They'll fix it', but I think that part of this can be accounted by looking at the size of the resort... With all four parks, I don't think that every little detail is noticed everyday... Maybe it's just me, but this give me some 'closure' in seeing stuff such as this.

meeko_33785

I don't know about little things but it seems like the last few times I've been to WDW, there seem to be more attractions than usual closed due to technical problems. In two non-consecutive days last year, Peter Pan, the Barnstormer, Country Bears, and Buzz Lightyear and a couple others all were down due to technical dificulties.

Epcot is my fav

Originally posted by AddyL
The worst was Splash Mountain. One of the turtule fountains was broken, and the Brer Rabbit animatronic that is supposed to hop away was broken and hanging there limply, causing a small child in our log to shriek "Brer Rabit is dead!"

Thats actually reallu funny that the kid thought Brer Rabbit was dead.....but they really need to fix that because it could also tramatize (sp?) a little kid.......

CTXRover

It seems to me that the hot breath at AE hasn't worked for some time (at least in the seats I've been in). Maybe this is why there is a rumor about it getting rehabbed to a "Stitch Encounter".

Also, with the water during MuppetVision, I noticed that during the winter months you don't get sprayed as much. This could be because you are wearing more and maybe they turn some of it off when it is really cold. (However, its very little water). I do notice this problem more when I go at Christmas than during the summer months. Maybe there's a connection?

I've also noticed the water thing with the turtles at Splash on some trips. However, later that week when I rode it, it was fixed.

Sometimes things happen during the day that aren't fixed until the night. The real problem arises if, say Brear Rabbit, isn't fixed by the next day.

Recently it seems that as the resort gets bigger they are more proned to rehab things at one large amt of time instead of every night/day. Especially when it comes to painting things, which is a little of topic.

The_CEO

RnR has been down all week.. Damn RnR PC is goin " Huh".

The thing wouldnt work right and didnt let any operations happen.

Frontierland

When I was on Splash Mountain, where you go to the room where brer bear is hanging in the rope and where brer rabbit is supposed to hop, well the brer rabbit animatronic wasn't working and neither was the brer bear animatronic where he is going up and down on the rope.

AddyL

Original Poster
Yup, the Brer Rabbit animatronic was broken at least two consecutive days when I was there... not good. Also, the water didn't squirt over the boat in the Laughin' Place...have they just taken that part out, or was it broken, too?

jcrb

one thing that been breaking down a lot is the items at Walt Disney World Resort Hotels.

Lights
Toilets
ect.

Had to call in Hilton Head , Vero and Coronado to get things fixed

The_CEO

Originally posted by jcrb
I rode the R "n" R C 2 sat ago - unfortunately they had tech problems for 15 min

I was there too.. When did you ride? I rode in the morn.. Delayed opeining.. Had to reboot the system and start up again.. Pretty neat :)

JeepGuy77

Originally posted by jcrb
I rode the R "n" R C 2 sat ago - unfortunately they had tech problems for 15 min

RnR was down for at least 3 days I heard. I was in line wednesday when it broke down. A freind was there Friday and the same thing happened.

A month or so ago S.I.R. 's eyes in Alien Encounter werent operating. It was ok though, he looked like he had sunglasses on.

TURKEY

Just a question, does anyone think they could repair/fix every little thing right after it happens (be it same day/overnight)?

There is no way.

Another question, do you inform management/other cast members about things that aren't working?

I've never worked in attractions, so maybe I'm wrong, but maybe attraction cast members can answer this better. You perform ride checks in the morning correct? Ride to make sure it's working? Doing this day after day, I wouldn't notice every little thing in the ride.

Every time I ride something, I notice something new about the show/attraction I'm seeing/on.

Irrawaddy Erik

Durring morning/night ride throughs we have a check-list that we have to fill out and it will ask about essential show elements. You would be surprized that when you right through an attraction even the smallest thing not working will grab your attention. Durring your training period you will ride the attraction your training on upwards of maybe twenty times. So you really get to know the little details. Hope this helps.

*Note on Essential Show Elements - These are items that if not working correctly the ride will be shut down until they are fixed (ex. With Peter Pan's Flight - Peter Pan's Shadow on the Nursury Window, Tink's Pixie Dust, The Tiny Ship (where Smee Fires the Cannon at the Boats, Wendy's Shaking on the Plank, Captain Hook and Peter Pan fighting on the ship, Pan Steering the ship, and Hook on the Crock) If any one of these things would stop working then the attraction would be shut down mantainance called and it will stay down untill it is fixed.

Space Ranger 1

Originally posted by AddyL
Yup, the Brer Rabbit animatronic was broken at least two consecutive days when I was there... not good. Also, the water didn't squirt over the boat in the Laughin' Place...have they just taken that part out, or was it broken, too?

I try to get over to Frontierland to ride Spalsh Mountain & Thunder Mountain atleast once a week, and I too have noticed the water that use to shoot over te boat has not been working for over a month now.

Snowflake82

This is not so recent, but...

Last summer my mom, dad, and husband went to Hall of Presidents while I took my son for a nap. They came out and said that during the show, Lincoln's head was kind of leaning over to one side and didn't move, except for his mouth. Dad said they changed the attraction to show Lincoln after the assassination... lol.

Seriously though, I was surprised that they would keep the attraction running in that condition. I don't know how long it was like that or when (if ever) it got fixed.

jenjie

When we were at MGM on Friday, 3/14, we got sprayed at Muppets. My dad is not a fan of any theme parks, he only went b/c of our kids, and this show was one of the few attractions he saw. He was really impressed with that spray! :lol:

One day we were at MK we had fastpass for Peter Pan. When we got there it was down. Then there was a huge traffic jam outside, there were so many strollers lined up at Small World, they werer halfway across to Peter Pan. It was a nightmare. When we finally got through, we went to get a fastpass for BTMR, Opening time for fastpass return was 3:55 - and we had agreed to meet my parents at Epcot at 4:00. So that was 2 wasted fastpasses in one day. Other than that, there were no problems.

Totally OT but with this talk about noticing things on the rides - I noticed a pair of glasses on the floor on BTMR!:cool:

jwbeck3

There is no way that every effect in every attraction can work right each day, but if it lasts for more than a couple days, that's where you have a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom