Atlanta Driving Help

Does anyone here know of a good route to avoid driving through Atlanta (with a travel trailer). We travel on I75 and usually take 285 around, but that seems just as crazy. Any help is really appreciated!!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Time of day is your only salvation towing a trailer. Avoid 8am until 10am and 2pm until 7pm. All trucks that don't have deliveries inside of 285 will be going around Atlanta on 285. Traffic to and from the Port of Savanah will be on I75 between south 285 and the Macon bypass. Naturally there are a lot of truck terminals along this route.

Like most urban areas, there are plenty of bad drivers and impatient bad drivers that weave in and out of traffic with no concept of adequate stopping distances or their lack of ability.

Upvote 0

UNCgolf

Exiting off 75 and looping around on 285 to get back on 75 south of the city isn't that bad -- you're avoiding the worst part of 285 which is to the north between 75 and 85.

Time of day matters, though. If you're on it around morning or evening rush hour, then it will be pretty bad between 75 and I-20 to the north of I-20, then much clearer south of 20. What time of day are you expecting to get to Atlanta?

Upvote 0

Cowboy Steve

I feel your pain... Our first camping excursion to Disney was in 2018. Our day one drive was from near Findlay, Ohio down I-75 to Forsythe, GA (overnighting at the KOA). The "plan" was to leave early enough to get through Cinci by 8am, and through Atlanta by 3pm. That was the plan. Got on the road almost 2 hours late, and that threw the whole schedule out the window... lol. We ended up hitting Northern Atlanta at 5pm... And yes, it was as miserable as expected. Oddly enough, WAZE saved us some time. I don't remember the exact location, but WAZE had us get off I-75 and weave through a bunch of suburban type residential streets (I thought we were lost for sure), ending up on I-285. What an ordeal! It was a good call though, as at least we were moving on I-285.

On the return trip North, we overnighted in Forsythe again, and was on the road by 5am. We zoomed right through downtown Atlanta at highway speeds without touching the brakes once.

THIS year will be different. THIS year we are leaving at 3am come heck or high water... The 2018 trip we rented a 34' trailer. This trip we are renting a 42' 5th wheel... so there will NOT be any detours through suburban residential streets... lol. Oh, and we are making the first leg on the Friday after Thanksgiving... :rolleyes: 😁

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom