Atlanta Braves Plan to Leave Disney for New Spring Training

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Here's the article. http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/151013682

Basically from what I've read in the past, there aren't enough baseball teams spring training locations near them at WDW. So they plan to move. I am curious if WDW will go after 1 or 2 more teams to replace them. Or will they repurpose the area.

Any rumors?

Disney Vacation Club Sports!

Seriously, the Braves are in the process of building a new stadium outside of the Atlanta city limits which is more of a destination (shopping, housing, office park, dining) than just a ball park in a run down par of town (such as the location of Turner Field). It makes economic sense for them to do the same with their Spring Training to capture all the dollars they possibly can..

ctrlaltdel

Basically from what I've read in the past, there aren't enough baseball teams spring training locations near them at WDW. So they plan to move. I am curious if WDW will go after 1 or 2 more teams to replace them. Or will they repurpose the area.

Any rumors?
Yeah WDW isn't that far away from other Spring Training sites, but it is in the middle, as most teams are on either coast. I know the Nats are looking to move out of Viera, and last I heard they haven't found a new place yet, so maybe they are a possibility?

Dad 2 M & M

Any rumors?

Disney Vacation Club Sports!

Seriously, the Braves are in the process of building a new stadium outside of the Atlanta city limits which is more of a destination (shopping, housing, office park, dining) than just a ball park in a run down par of town (such as the location of Turner Field). It makes economic sense for them to do the same with their Spring Training to capture all the dollars they possibly can..
It sounds like they are focusing on the expense side (reduce expenses) to increase NP. The article indicates the close proximity of other clubs to St Pete, and the lack of (only Detroit) clubs in the current Disney locale. My guess is there were generous offers to relocate, and the peeps from St Pete had the most attractive package. If they reap the added bonus of increased revenue, it would be a financial windfall.

To your point, the Braves are focusing on the destination, and now the destination will not have to compete for guests with Disney's many attractions.

In Atlanta, moving to Marietta should result in BOTH lower expenses AND higher revenue as not only the sponsor $$ will increase, the ticket sales should as well. On the expense side, the cost(s) should go way down now that the city of Atl is no longer the silent partner (a problem the Falcons did not overcome when planning the new crib; a crib named after their most hated rival).

tribbleorlfl

Yeah WDW isn't that far away from other Spring Training sites, but it is in the middle, as most teams are on either coast. I know the Nats are looking to move out of Viera, and last I heard they haven't found a new place yet, so maybe they are a possibility?
Nats and Astros are buiding a dual-team facility in WPB.

It's really sad that Central Florida went from having most of the Grapefruit League teams in the 80's and 90's to none. Teams wanted increasingly lavish ST facilities and all of the retirement communities flush with cash were happy to oblige. At least FL isn't losing more teams to AZ, though.

ctrlaltdel

Nats and Astros are buiding a dual-team facility in WPB.

It's really sad that Central Florida went from having most of the Grapefruit League teams in the 80's and 90's to none. Teams wanted increasingly lavish ST facilities and all of the retirement communities flush with cash were happy to oblige. At least FL isn't losing more teams to AZ, though.
Thanks for the info. I'm a Nats fan, so that was just wishful thinking. Somehow I missed the news about the dual facility. Maybe no one will move to WDW world then, unless there's a club dying to move. Potential placement for a 5th gate ;)??
Edit: I know there is other stuff that happens at wide world of sports.

Oriolesmagic

If Disney was smart they'd push for the Rays, and then potentially use it as an incentive to bring them out of Tampa entirely when their horrible regular season Stadium deal is up 45 years from now.

Can you imagine if the Rays played at Disney? Holy Lord. Not sure it would ever happen due to traffic hell for both parties and issues with splitting profits but... my word. That'd be amazing.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Can you imagine if the Rays played at Disney? Holy Lord. Not sure it would ever happen due to traffic hell for both parties and issues with splitting profits but... my word. That'd be amazing.

Their spring training games would have a higher attendance than their regular season games. Which if you think about it, it would be terrible for Tampa but then again their fans don't care about baseball in general.

PREMiERdrum

Think they'd revise the logo?

latest

PhotoDave219

Any rumors?

So it's finally official? Yeah, this is been a rumor for quite some time now. I think I hinted at it a couple of times last spring training.

The big problem is that there are no nearby teams. Houston is moving and abandoning Kissimmee. The Nationals are in Vierra (Melbourne) and they aren't happy because of a lack of nearby teams. After that? The nearest team is Detroit (Lakeland) and they are unlikely to move because of the relationship they've had with the city for a ridiculous number of years. Then you have the Yankees, Phillies, and Blue Jays right around Tampa.

So for any team to be at Disney? To playing An opposing team, it is at least an hour drive. Nobody wants to do that anymore. They want someone 20 minutes across town.

So what will Disney do with the complex? I have no idea.

Arthur Wellesley

As a Braves fan this saddens me. I always enjoyed watching their spring training games which would often show Disney skyline between innings. Not necessarily parks, but skyline nonetheless, which was enough to make this lad happy.

But I understand why the decision is being made from the team's standpoint. It certainly isn't the worst thing to happen to the Braves organization. Here's looking at you, John Rocker. :cautious:

wdwfan4ver

I am not a baseball fan, but I don't see Disney doing much with the area not sports related or use it for a Sports themed DVC. Disney already has a Disney All Star Sports Value hotel and wouldn't make any sense for creating something sports theme DVC where the Stadium is as a result.

You can't turn that baseball Stadium into a Super Hero or Star Wars themed DVC or Hotel either due to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex has other venues in the area that are being used.

Last edited:

wogwog

So it's finally official? Yeah, this is been a rumor for quite some time now. I think I hinted at it a couple of times last spring training.

The big problem is that there are no nearby teams. Houston is moving and abandoning Kissimmee. The Nationals are in Vierra (Melbourne) and they aren't happy because of a lack of nearby teams. After that? The nearest team is Detroit (Lakeland) and they are unlikely to move because of the relationship they've had with the city for a ridiculous number of years. Then you have the Yankees, Phillies, and Blue Jays right around Tampa.

So for any team to be at Disney? To playing An opposing team, it is at least an hour drive. Nobody wants to do that anymore. They want someone 20 minutes across town.

Please no Frozen jokes.

PhotoDave219

I am not a baseball fan, but I don't see Disney doing much with the area not sports related or use it for a Sports themed DVC. Disney already has a Disney All Star Sports Value hotel and wouldn't make any sense for creating something sports theme DVC where the Stadium is as a result.

You can't turn that baseball Stadium into a Super Hero or Star Wars themed DVC or Hotel either due to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex has other venues in the area that are being used.

Likely they'll just push for youth sports teams to come play in the spring/summer.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Original Poster

Yeah I live near Atlanta and have heard that rumor as well for the past year or two. So to me, Disney has a decision to make. One choice would be to expand the area to fully support two teams. I feel if this was gonna happen, they would have done it already.

If they want to continue to entice sports programs, they'll have a really nice stadium for tournaments. I don't know. I'll be intrigued to see what happens in the next few years.

I'll miss the Braves there but teams have just abandoned central FL.

Sportsphan95

If Disney was smart they'd push for the Rays, and then potentially use it as an incentive to bring them out of Tampa entirely when their horrible regular season Stadium deal is up 45 years from now.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Rays relocate to Montreal to bring back the Expos. Disney would be the perfect place for their Spring Training facility, considering they have the Canada pavilion in EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom