At opening in 1982, was EPCOT Center a "full day" park for you?

For those who experienced EPCOT in its opening year, would you have considered it a "full day" park?

• Yes

Votes: 54 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

erasure fan1

It was most definitely a full day park. Walking and seeing each pavilion in world showcase felt like half a day. It had a nice selection of rides, even though a few of my favorites weren't there opening day. I can see why some would wouldn't think it's a full day. As a kid I really wanted no part of world showcase. There were a few pavilions I liked like Mexico and Japan. I liked the American adventure and a few other things. So I can see why some might just think shopping.

RoadiJeff

I was there the second week EPCOT had opened back in 1982. I don't remember any huge crowds but I was only going to be there for a day and so I didn't spend a lot of time in each Word Showcase pavilion. I walked around in the rain part of the day instead of staying indoors somewhere, waiting for it to stop.

In the Imagination pavilion, I volunteered to be one of two guests to interact in a scene with a blue screen behind us and we were in a western. I guess we did good because I'd seen others in the same show several times and we were the only ones who received an applause by everyone at the end.

Phonedave

I went as a kid with my family in 83 or 84. It was most assuredly a full day park. We went to "Orlando" not Disney World. We did a day in Sea World, a day at Cape Canaveral, a day at Magic Kingdom, and a day at EPCOT. I remember wishing we had more time to go back to EPCOT, as we did not get to see it all.

tpoly88

i first went in 1988 and then it was a full day. Sounds funny but I had more patience to do all the attractions then although i was a teenager. i thought body wars was so cool and i really liked the seas with seabase alpha. we also went to all the countries and did all the shows and did both sides of innoventions . One thing that i thought was so neat was the video phone booth that you would make a reservation for dinner or other information. Epcot had a different feel back then as most of the stuff and rides in future world was cutting edge and new. I think that the speed of life has accelerated and everything is so "supercharged" that its hard to slow down in the park without effort. I will say that now Epcot is a 4 hr park to me now and that's with stopping to eat. im rambling but i feel all parks dont keep me there as long as i used to.

Phonedave

i first went in 1988 and then it was a full day. Sounds funny but I had more patience to do all the attractions then although i was a teenager. i thought body wars was so cool and i really liked the seas with seabase alpha. we also went to all the countries and did all the shows and did both sides of innoventions . One thing that i thought was so neat was the video phone booth that you would make a reservation for dinner or other information. Epcot had a different feel back then as most of the stuff and rides in future world was cutting edge and new. I think that the speed of life has accelerated and everything is so "supercharged" that its hard to slow down in the park without effort. I will say that now Epcot is a 4 hr park to me now and that's with stopping to eat. im rambling but i feel all parks dont keep me there as long as i used to.

Seabase Alpha is one of the distinct memories that I have of early EPCOT. We spent a lot of time there if I recall correctly. As you said, everything back then was new or cutting edge. I think speed of development is a big factor. When the next big innovation comes every year or two, you can review it, plan a display, and install it while it is still fresh. Now it is something is invented on a Monday and by the time Friday comes around it is old hat. It is difficult to keep the installations up to date.

donaldtoo

My DWifey and myself first visited EPCOT Center together in Dec. of 1988 on our honeymoon (although she had visited two years earlier with her younger sister and half uncle).
The Norway pavilion had just opened earlier that year in ‘88, and we definitely spent the whole day there…the place was amazing…!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Even since then, it was always a full day Park on our family trips, and even with our two young granddaughters last October…!!! :)

UNCgolf

Seabase Alpha is one of the distinct memories that I have of early EPCOT. We spent a lot of time there if I recall correctly. As you said, everything back then was new or cutting edge. I think speed of development is a big factor. When the next big innovation comes every year or two, you can review it, plan a display, and install it while it is still fresh. Now it is something is invented on a Monday and by the time Friday comes around it is old hat. It is difficult to keep the installations up to date.

Me too. I still think that pavilion is one of the best things Disney has ever built as a whole experience (hydrolators to SeaCabs to the seabase). I thought about it regularly as a kid. It's so disappointing that that awful Nemo ride is there now instead.

Goofyernmost

I can't speak for anyone else but I went to EPCOT in February of 1983 (my god, that was 41 years ago 😱 ) And it was a two hour park for me. All those crowd control things that Disney was so famous for had not taken hold at that point. The line to get to just see the movie at Imagination (only part open) ran all the way back to beyond The Land. Spaceship Earth, which had a massive queue was impossible. We just gave up and left, got in the car and went to the Kennedy Space Center. We had been at EPCOT for just about 2 hours and saw nothing except the movie. Went back a couple years later and it was great and took more than one day.

So the answer is yes, but only because it took so long to see anything. It would have been a full day just to see the first half. Heck, the World of Energy was an hour ride all by itself. Three times that by the time you got into it. It became my favorite park after my second visit, but the first was a complete waste of money. What helped ease the blow was that admission was only about $17.00. (Adjusted for inflation was about $40.00)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom