As you've grown older have you appreciated the parks in different ways?

mergatroid

Original Poster
As a kid I could spend all day in the MK, 8.30am for opening and staying till 12 midnight in the Summer no problem at all. In fact I even remember passing through the Contemporary in the monorail and looking down at the pool outside and wondering why the hell all those people were in the pool instead of in the park. For me it was bewildering as to why and how anyone in a hotel with access to the MK just a walk away would want to be in a pool instead, it made no sense and even verged on angering me! Going to Epcot also seemed just a day away froo the MK, sure it was Disney but at the back of my mind was the thought that I could be on Space Mountain or Pirates rather than 'learning stuff' albeit in a fun way. Even eating in Disney seemed like time away from the magic, the food tasted good but it was a 'necessity' more than anything else.

As a late teen I still loved the MK but Epcot had grown on me more. I guess it was partly because I'd done all the MK stuff but also I appreciated stuff there in ways my younger self hadn't. I would happily sacrifice at least a day of my trip to Epcot every visit, sometimes even more than a day. I'd turned twenty when Disney MGM Studios opened and I've got to say those first few years it had a kind of magic and uniqueness to it that was difficult to surpass. Man I'll never forget that early 90's era when MGM was possibly at it's best, what a buzz with everything new and three parks to enjoy over my trips instead of two.

And I've visited annually virtually every year since then. Seen the AK open along with the water parks etc and still love the place like a second home. But certainly as an older person now than then,.I realise how I do things quite differently and see it in a different way. Rather than getting a four or five day pass and cramming everything in with long 'full days' in the parks, we (I'm no longer single) get Annual Passes and visit for three weeks at a time and have more partial days there. Sometimes we'll go out for a trip to the shops and decide to just drop into Disney Studios on the way back for an ice cream. That's it, just walk in get an ice cream and enjoy the atmosphere without even riding anything. As a kid that would have been torture to me and unthinkable, I'd rather not have gone than been tormented like that.

I appreciate meals much more now also, there's nothing like sitting in the fast food area in the China pavilion in Epcot and looking out over the gardens and people watching whilst slowly eating. Sometimes we'll spend nearly an hour there just enjoying the feeling of it and relaxing whilst everyone else rushes around. Likewise at the Sci-fi dine in theatre we'll just sit in those little cars watching those silly little movies whilst having a meal and sharing a desert. Not worrying about rushing to get to an attraction but instead just relaxing and taking our time, enjoying things on a different level to that as a kid. And those people I used to look at in the pool at the Contemporary or on the boats in the lake and wonder why they were wasting their time by not being in the MK. Well now I'm one of them as every year we rent a boat for an hour or more and just pootle about on that lake thinking just how wonderful life is doing just that.

Sorry to ramble on but I just thought I'd share (or bore you with) my thoughts on how my enjoyment of Disney has evolved over the years and yet still there's one constant, I still love visiting the place.

belledream

I think the way I've evolved the most is through learning what makes me happy at Disney. I've always been a park addict as a kid and now as adult...but my true happiness isn't each attraction and show. It's the entire package that Disney presents, from the detail of the buildings, shops, queues, inside and out, the music that fills my ears and transitions flawlessly from one area to another, and seeing the same beautiful icons at all different times of the day. Sunrise at the resort, the damp pavement at rope drop, the bright sun and blue skies during the hot afternoons, lights popping on at dusk, and the cool wind after the sun sets at night. It's the little things that make a big difference to me now.

Goofyernmost

Never went to Disney as a kid. My first visit was when I was 35 years old. Still the experience has changed drastically for me. I enjoy going, but, with far less anticipation and wonderment then earlier on. Obviously, when you start going at an older age the experience is automatically different. I have used it as an escape. Escape from the cold winter in Vermont, escape from what seemed like insurmountable problems, loneliness and even despair. I have found at my current age, a sense of nostalgia and at times a trigger to make me feel that there was indeed a Great Big Beautiful tomorrow only a day away. I mostly go solo now, because anyone my age looks at me like I have three heads when I mention that I like to go to WDW. They are probably just emotionally older then I am. Whatever, it makes us somewhat incompatible and since my joys at this age are limited, I refuse to give this one up. I have made 45 trips to WDW, 1 trip to Disneyland in California and just recently spent a day in Disneyland Paris all in a span of 33 years. It's just something that is comfortable for me as opposed to being exciting.

I can sit around in certain lands and remember what I felt like when I first went there with my 6 and 8 year old daughters. The fun we had going and even the fun we had during the time it took for us to return home. Other times those memories were sad and melancholy, but, they always served to bring me home again. I still marvel at the mechanics of the place. The mere idea that attractions like CoP are still functioning after over 50 years of continuous running. What engineering that took. Most no longer see that, all that they see is when or if it breaks down, like it's a personal assault on their enjoyment instead of a wonder that it has run as long as it has. That's just me though, I know that others demand more then I do. I try and live within that world of fantasy knowing that it is located only inches above the real world and once in awhile the real world pokes its ugly head in, like it or not.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I'm now able to appreciate the whole experience and everything that goes on behind the scenes to make the parks work virtually flawlessly. I think I'm able to enjoy the parks more than in the past since I know about these things.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Through the years, the one change for me is that I don't attempt to visit every attraction in the parks. I know which ones I really enjoy and seek out those; while other rides/attractions, I'll visit if the lines are short. I also look forward to any new attractions.

During the hot afternoons, I also take a pool break now at the hotel, and go back to the parks later on.

WDWVolFan

I went to Disney in December 94 (12 years old), only MK in December 95 (13 years old), July 1997 (14 years old), January 2000 (17 years old)...then went on a very long hiatus until Late May/Early June 2012 (29 years old) and last trip was Late May/Early June 2015 (32 years old).

First time it was just my mom and I as we went to visit my uncle who had moved from Brazil to Miami and he got us a package to go spend a week in Orlando, the week before Christmas.
So everything was new, it was kind of cold and we had the parks empty so as a first experience it was really great and I wanted to do everything I could.
Second time, I came with my grandparents to visit that same uncle and we went to Orlando for a day and it was cool as I already knew some of the tricks from the year before and knew what was cool and what was not. So it was more of a targeted trip.
Third time, I was part of one of the infamous Brazilian tour groups...I was used to the parks empty in December but July it was a whole new ball game...the tour guides would takes us to some major rides at each park and then we were on our own until a certain time. So I was able to navigate the parks based on my last experiences and actually became the unofficial guide to some of the kids that were with me because some of them were rookies. Mostly though, in parks like MGM I did the main rides and then just chilled in the shade because that Florida heat for the first time will own you.
Then in 2000 my dad and I as we were driving around from Miami to Iowa City looking at schools for me to go to, we stopped in Orlando and went to MK and I don't recall if we went anywhere else. I took my dad around but the cool thing was that he grew up in a big family with not a lot of money and I recall him telling me that his whole childhood he had seen the castle on Disney's cartoons and when he saw it, my dad, Mr. no emotion, shed a tear. I had never seen my dad cry because of something like that....Disney that day became more than just a place to be fun. It became a place where I saw my dad vulnerable and getting in touch with his inner child which leads to my trip 12 years later with my wife and son. I felt like a rookie because so much had changed, my wife had been to all other parks but not MK and it was my son's first visit. Seeing their happiness maded my trip...I still look at the pictures and get teared up. But it was a place where for the longer, I was able to laugh and not worry about a damn thing. Kind of went full circle and found my inner child like my dad had 12 years before.
Then in 2015 it felt like going home, the place where I knew I would have fun, I knew I would forget about it all and just enjoy life at WDW and I did...at it was great.

We're not going this year, and we're not going in 2017. Maybe 2018...and I CANNOT wait to go again...I'll be 36 years old then and I cannot wait to see my son evolve in his experience of Disney...from him being 6, to being 9, to being 12...zippa dee doo dah my oh my what a wonderful day!

Chef Mickey

As a kid, all I could think about was RIDE RIDE RIDE.

I just wanted to go to the next ride or ride The Tower of Terror until park close.

Now, I appreciate the shows, the service, and all the talented people that make the parks possible.

I also appreciate the business side that makes it all possible. I think about all the behind the scenes work that must go in to maintenance, ordering food, logistics, and all of 24/7 activities to run such a large production.

Last edited:

officialtom

We went to WDW for the first time when I was 12 or 13. I have a truly terrible memory, and honestly don't remember a whole lot about the trip. We stayed off-site at a Holiday Inn, and we rented a car (I remember it was a white Buick Century, and someone stole the antenna). I remember eating Krispy Kreme donuts at the hotel, and thinking there were an awful lot of tolls on the highways. We had to run the first toll without paying because we had no US change yet, and there was nobody working in the middle of the night. I also remember eating at Red Lobster. As for the parks, I don't remember much at all, other than posing for a family pic in front of the castle, and thinking it was cool how they made it look like Tink was standing on our outstretched hands.

I returned to WDW as an adult, stayed on-site, and LOVED EVERY MINUTE. That was five years ago, and we've gone back every year since. I remember so much about every trip, each one being entirely different. My favourite thing is probably the food, especially finding "hidden gem" restaurants at the resorts. I was a picky eater as a kid, but consider myself to be pretty adventurous now, and there are so many different and delicious cuisines to try all around WDW. I also love the shopping and could spend hours in the stores in MK and at Disney Springs. I love the laid-back feeling of each trip, how we don't need to rent a car, the friendliness of the CMs (especially welcoming us "home"), and the beauty of the resorts. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather go to escape our crazy winters.

So yes, I definitely appreciate WDW a lot more as an adult.

Last edited:

Santina

I started going to Disney at 16 years old, so unfortunately I never had the opportunity to experience the magic as a child. My husband and I did a few trips without kids and although those were great trips, I must say I have never experienced the magic as much as I do now visiting with my two little boys. Seeing Disney through their eyes has been an amazing experience!

Cmdr_Crimson

During my first solo trips I really didn't have a big fondness for Disney's Animal Kingdom...It just felt lackluster to me due to not that much was going on and many things were just not that interesting...That is until up to 2012 when It just started to get a bit better and finally figuring out a niche with me...I have started to grow on it especially when the park closes later around 6-8pm...It just changes the environment in that park due to how mysteriously dark it gets on the pathways and riding Everest at night is even better.

Soarin2u

Just this past trip in May 2015, I realized how much I wanted to share Disney. How badly I wanted to drag the friends I have that've never gone. And How excited I was to think I will eventually have my own kids to walk down Mainstreet with. I no longer want to just experience it myself but to see others experience it for the first time.

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

I appreciate the finer things a bit more. The attention to detail. Granted, I still liked that when I was a kid too. To be honest I was 32 years old in 2012 on my first trip to Disneyland and once we got through the gates I was running around like a hyper kid up and down Main Street with my wife following me around as if I had ADD. I was just so excited, and I was very excited to be at WDW as a kid too, so I guess that's never changed for me.

NelleBelle

I grew up going to Disneyland every year. As a kid, I used to pretend I worked at Disneyland (I used our front porch swing as my boat for the jungle cruise and I was the captain). My first trip to the World was in '95 when for my senior trip in high school--I couldn't get over how different the MK was from DL. But I fell in love with EPCOT. The day we spent there was supposed to be "educational" and all I could anticipate was some boring day...how wrong I was. It's now my favorite park. Over the years, I returned and the MK grew and grew on me. I'll never forget going with my DH as a newlywed. We had a not-so-great honeymoon to Jamaica (long story) and we stayed at a really cheap strip motel in Kissimmee. We swore NEVER again would we stay off-property. But one of the most life-changing things WDW did for me was make me want to have kids. I was on the fence as to whether or not I wanted to have kids or not. But after spending a week at WDW (during Easter week no less!), we came home and new that it was the right time to start a family. Now we have 2 DS. Over the years I've watched my kids take first steps (waiting for my DH and mom on Test Track, he took multiple steps and walk ~5 ft without anyone holding his hand) to both having 1st haircuts. We've taken a little hiatus from WDW (been easier to go to DLR) so will be interesting to see how this next trip plays out. The kids are older now and are wanting to ride "scarier" rides. We won't be dragging strollers with us. It will be...different. My planning used to be easy because we did it every year. Now...I've never done magic bands and FP+, etc. I think that technology is the biggest thing that I've seen and had to appreciate over my years growing up in Disney parks :confused:

SyracuseDisneyFan

When I went in 2014 with my family, part of our group did the Jungle Trail in the Asia section of Animal Kingdom. I liked it, and I appreciated it. I've never done that until then. I hope to do it again on my next trip.

thomas998

As a kid I could spend all day in the MK, 8.30am for opening and staying till 12 midnight in the Summer no problem at all. In fact I even remember passing through the Contemporary in the monorail and looking down at the pool outside and wondering why the hell all those people were in the pool instead of in the park. For me it was bewildering as to why and how anyone in a hotel with access to the MK just a walk away would want to be in a pool instead, it made no sense and even verged on angering me! Going to Epcot also seemed just a day away froo the MK, sure it was Disney but at the back of my mind was the thought that I could be on Space Mountain or Pirates rather than 'learning stuff' albeit in a fun way. Even eating in Disney seemed like time away from the magic, the food tasted good but it was a 'necessity' more than anything else.

As a late teen I still loved the MK but Epcot had grown on me more. I guess it was partly because I'd done all the MK stuff but also I appreciated stuff there in ways my younger self hadn't. I would happily sacrifice at least a day of my trip to Epcot every visit, sometimes even more than a day. I'd turned twenty when Disney MGM Studios opened and I've got to say those first few years it had a kind of magic and uniqueness to it that was difficult to surpass. Man I'll never forget that early 90's era when MGM was possibly at it's best, what a buzz with everything new and three parks to enjoy over my trips instead of two.

And I've visited annually virtually every year since then. Seen the AK open along with the water parks etc and still love the place like a second home. But certainly as an older person now than then,.I realise how I do things quite differently and see it in a different way. Rather than getting a four or five day pass and cramming everything in with long 'full days' in the parks, we (I'm no longer single) get Annual Passes and visit for three weeks at a time and have more partial days there. Sometimes we'll go out for a trip to the shops and decide to just drop into Disney Studios on the way back for an ice cream. That's it, just walk in get an ice cream and enjoy the atmosphere without even riding anything. As a kid that would have been torture to me and unthinkable, I'd rather not have gone than been tormented like that.

I appreciate meals much more now also, there's nothing like sitting in the fast food area in the China pavilion in Epcot and looking out over the gardens and people watching whilst slowly eating. Sometimes we'll spend nearly an hour there just enjoying the feeling of it and relaxing whilst everyone else rushes around. Likewise at the Sci-fi dine in theatre we'll just sit in those little cars watching those silly little movies whilst having a meal and sharing a desert. Not worrying about rushing to get to an attraction but instead just relaxing and taking our time, enjoying things on a different level to that as a kid. And those people I used to look at in the pool at the Contemporary or on the boats in the lake and wonder why they were wasting their time by not being in the MK. Well now I'm one of them as every year we rent a boat for an hour or more and just pootle about on that lake thinking just how wonderful life is doing just that.

Sorry to ramble on but I just thought I'd share (or bore you with) my thoughts on how my enjoyment of Disney has evolved over the years and yet still there's one constant, I still love visiting the place.

The reason you are shifting out from MK is probably more an issue of boredom because you've done it all so many times before and the ever increasing crowds at MK. IF you were to only go back once every 6 or 7 years I doubt you would have shifted as much as you have but as a regular visitor it is very likely you would eventually get tired of what you've seen on a yearly basis. If you want to enjoy it more as you once did skip it a year or two, go to DL instead and then go back to WDW and see if you still find yourself needing to go out from MK as much.

Raineman

I was 16 the first time I went to WDW. My main focus was to do as many rides as possible, and to see as many cool, techy, geeky things as possible, which is why Epcot and MGM Studios were my faves. My second trip was 2 years ago, now in my early 40s, now married with an 8 year old daughter, and getting to create memories with her at WDW, mixed in with memories from my first trip, made it very special for me, and found that my fave park this time was MK. I actually teared up a bit watching Wishes when Jiminy Cricket starts singing "When You Wish Upon A Star". I will be returning in 6 weeks with my DW and DD, and this visit will be different still, as all of the knowledge and information that I have gained, alot of it from this forum, will add a deeper understanding and appreciation for everything that goes into making WDW work-and I'll get to annoy my DW and DD with endless amounts of trivia and factoids and secrets. And, when we leave MK at closing, on our last night at WDW, when I get to the park entrance at the end of Main Street, and I turn to get one last look at the castle, I know that I'm going to get a bit misty eyed - again.

Rinx

My brother and I would visit my dad once a year and the time was always spent in WDW with our DVC points. As a kid it was always be in the parks til they kick you out,basically. E-Ride nights (pre-EMH) were three hours but never seemed long enough. Now sometimes I have trouble staying to the end of those 1 am EMH's. But as I got older I started appreciating how relaxing a WDW vacation can be by enjoying the resorts and even more so the dining. Dining has jumped way up on my list of things I look forward to doing at WDW.

Sadly and shockingly, however, my father suffered a fatal heart attack after dropping us off at the airport this past September. I know for sure that the next time I go I'll be a lot more appreciative of everything. It'll never be the same WDW.

mergatroid

Original Poster
My brother and I would visit my dad once a year and the time was always spent in WDW with our DVC points. As a kid it was always be in the parks til they kick you out,basically. E-Ride nights (pre-EMH) were three hours but never seemed long enough. Now sometimes I have trouble staying to the end of those 1 am EMH's. But as I got older I started appreciating how relaxing a WDW vacation can be by enjoying the resorts and even more so the dining. Dining has jumped way up on my list of things I look forward to doing at WDW.

Sadly and shockingly, however, my father suffered a fatal heart attack after dropping us off at the airport this past September. I know for sure that the next time I go I'll be a lot more appreciative of everything. It'll never be the same WDW.

Very sorry to hear that my friend. I think the bond that links you with your dad and WDW will bring you many happy memories during future visits and will be something that over time will bring you great pleasure. Going back initially will be very emotional but I'm sure in time it will again bring great joy to you and I'm sure that's what you wonderful father would have wanted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom