Article about Disneyland social clubs

SuddenStorm

I've never had an issue with shirts like "Smith Family Reunion 2019" or "Celebrating Mike and Cindy Marriage 2019" or whatever- because those are for specific events and are a group of people celebrating an important event in their year or life.

Social clubs comparing themselves to that is a bit disingenuous- they're not celebrating anything beyond simply going to Disneyland. And in order to visit Disneyland, they have a full biker style get up that matches what everyone else in their group wears. I know some people have their pin lanyard, or hat, or shirt they like to wear whenever they visit the park (I have a Tomorrowland '98 opening day shirt I'm particularly fond of)- but this just feels different to me.

I remember the David Koenig Micechat report a few years back that shined a spotlight on the whole issue and all the drama that was caused because of it.

Go to the park with friends. Organize meet ups with other like minded park fans. But you don't need to be that overt and weird about it to call yourselves a "social club" ie Disney Gang and wear a ridiculous get up.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Reason #5 to do away with annual pass payments. Pathetic Mickey's Angels have no place in the parks.

I don't think getting rid of APs will do anything about these "Clubs". They'll just find a way to meet up as a group by buying single day passes.

To be honest I hardly ever see them when I have gone in the last 5 years.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I don't think getting rid of APs will do anything about these "Clubs". They'll just find a way to meet up as a group by buying single day passes.

To be honest I hardly ever see them when I have gone in the last 5 years.

Single day passes are much harder to swallow than making low payments throughout the year. The riff raff would be deterred.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Single day passes are much harder to swallow than making low payments throughout the year. The riff raff would be deterred.

You're making an assumptions. I just don't see it as simple as "remove the AP program and we won't see the riff raff anymore".

Really what needs to happen if Disney really wants to get rid of these clubs, and that is making an assumption Disney wants to do that. But what needs to happen is Disney needs to enforce like most public venues, No Colors. Removing the Clubs "Colors" or their vests will basically remove their group identity and eliminate most if not all of the issue.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
You're making an assumptions. I just don't see it as simple as "remove the AP program and we won't see the riff raff anymore".

I didn't say we wouldn't see them anymore. They would be deterred. Deterred. Get it right, man.

Really what needs to happen if Disney really wants to get rid of these clubs, and that is making an assumption Disney wants to do that. But what needs to happen is Disney needs to enforce like most public venues, No Colors. Removing the Clubs "Colors" or their vests will basically remove their group identity and eliminate most if not all of the issue.

Good luck with that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I didn't say we wouldn't see them anymore. They would be deterred. Deterred. Get it right, man.
Again you're making an assumption that they would be deterred. I'm not making that same assumption.

Good luck with that.
Every other major public venue, and most bars across the US, have a similar policy. So I don't know why you wouldn't think Disney could do the same thing. I'm sure they already have some rule about it, they just have to enforce it for these Social Club.

SuddenStorm

We're fighting Toxic Masculinity by showing it's OK for men to enjoy a theme park associated with children and princess-femininity... by dressing up as gang members.

:banghead:

To be honest, and maybe it's just cause I spend way to much time on Disney fan sites, but I didn't realize there was a stigma against adult men going to Disneyland. I mean, there's always gonna be a few people who think something is weird- but that's true for anything.

Like I didn't realize people actually take the time to judge other park visitors based on their age or gender while at Disneyland.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To be honest, and maybe it's just cause I spend way to much time on Disney fan sites, but I didn't realize there was a stigma against adult men going to Disneyland. I mean, there's always gonna be a few people who think something is weird- but that's true for anything.

Like I didn't realize people actually take the time to judge other park visitors based on their age or gender while at Disneyland.

The stigma is real. My straight male best friend thought it was crazy that I was taking him to WDW. Until he experienced it. Now he's eager to go.

Although, I could see it worse for DL since it doesn't have a lot of the more adult focused attractions like Epcot. DL and MK are widely seen as being for kids.

TROR

I judge anyone for going to Disneyland over the age of 12 if they aren't going to appreciate the true artistic value of the park.

Californian Elitist

Many people find going to Disney parks as a male “gay.” It’s dumb.

Phroobar

200.gif

Touchdown

I’m not part of a club and am a single male who goes solo to Disney, and have no problem with it. However, everyone who knows me knows this is an offshoot of my theme park love, so maybe that’s why.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom