Art of animation.

Stitchy626

Original Poster
Hi flying out on Dec 22nd from UK for the first family holiday to Disney. Where staying at art of animation little mermaid and just wondering if there anything we should be aware of with 2 child aged 1 and 2. We have 2 rooms booked for the grandparents in the other room. We've asked for connecting rooms is that possible?
Many thanks andy.

slappy magoo

There are indeed connecting rooms at Little Mermaid, but I don't think ALL rooms have connecting doors. I'm not sure you'd be guaranteed a connecting door unless you had more kids in your party (think a party of 5 with three children over 10 so they can't all stay in one room). Since your kids can stay with you in one room, then if they're at or close to capacity (which at Xmas time is a distinct possibility), there might be a problem getting you a connecting room. But personally and anecdotally speaking, that's the sort of thing they try extremely hard to make happen. I'd suggest you call the resort directly, confirm that your request is in the system, and let them know there will be times your parents will need easy access to your room, so it's a big deal for you.

The one thing you should be aware of is that the rooms are very small, around 260 sq. ft (24.15 sq. meters). The beds are either 2 doubles or 1 king sized - I don't know if your 2 year old will be sleeping in a bed, but I'd almost suggest you our your spouse sleep in 1 bed with the 2 year old, especially if either of you is a bit on the large side. Those doubles can get cramped. Or if there's a chance of connecting king sized bed rooms, I'd think the three of you sharing a king sized bed would be more comfortable, and then your parents can have a king bed to share, too.

Because it's a densely populated resort during a very popular time, people might be kind of raucous, which is inconvenient when you have little ones who really need sleep and you might be trying to keep them on a schedule. I can't remember if the alarm clocks have a "white noise" option but I'd suggest you bring something to help drown out the outside noise a bit more. It might be tool cold for the pools which will help cut down on noise, but just in case, a white noise machine would probably help. But you could also always just use the radios in the room and dial to a frequency with no station, just static. We have a combination of lullabies with static in the background that plays and repeats all night.

Oh, and the food court. They have some tasty options, but it can be incredibly busy, even during slow periods, and it's cacophonous. If you either have a car of your own, or are budgeting for cabs or time-budgeting for Disney buses, I'd suggest trying to get breakfast reservations as often as possible, or planning on getting a grab-and-go breakfast in the park du jour. Trying to pick up breakfast for the 4 of us one morning in the food court and bringing it back to our room took 50 minutes, less than 10 of it walking to and from the food court/room. If reservations aren't possible, have a designated runner get to the court before it opens (I think 7am) and grab everything you need and bring it back to the room. Because the level of noise for 2 small kids who are already probably off their routine can make the beginning of the day pretty rough, to say nothing of how exhausted some of the grownups in the party might be.

I don't mean to be down on the resort, as it looks great and is impeccably themed. Just want you to be aware of these "cons" so you can plan ahead so they're not so "con-ny."

MightyMouse

We recently returned from our trip where we vacationed in the exact situation as you. LM rooms with the grandparents in a separate room. I will share with you my ordeal.

Prior to arriving I requested connecting rooms. I had called beforehand to verify we had adjoining rooms and was told the rooms are not designated per guests until 1 week prior to your arrival, however they could see on my file the request was there.

The day before our arrival our TA called and verified we had adjoining rooms. The grandparents btw were flying in three days after us.

Upon arrival the lady at check-in told us that she upgraded us to a Landscape View room since we were staying for two weeks. She thought she was doing us a favour because they initially had us booked for a Parking Lot View. I told her it didn't matter to me as long as the grandparents had connecting or nearby rooms. She looked at me like a deer in headlights and that was my first clue to something has gone horribly wrong.

So she tried to get back on her system to see if she could also upgrade the grandparents, and that's when she encountered an issue where we were no longer on the system at all. eep! She scrambled around and eventually had to get a manager. This manager then said she had seen we had a Landscape View and she decided to upgrade us to a Pool View and thus she had wiped out what the first lady had input on the system. My head hurts just recounting all this. Btw, our check-in process took over an hour. I won't complain though.. I'm in Disney. Anyway, once again I had to mention about the grandparents, and once again the manager had the deer in headlights look. I was "assured" they would accomodate the grandparents next to us.

Three days later and the grandparents were supposed to arrive. I took my 9 year old daughter to the front lobby to try and locate them. This time I was told by a lady at check-in that she could not tell me which room the grandparents had been assigned to, due to security reasons. Are you kidding me? I'm there son and it's on my file that we've requested adjoining rooms!! She could see the request was on my file for adjoining rooms, but apparantly it wasn't noted that we are "Travelling With" companions. So you may want to call them and have them add this to your file if you haven't already.

As for me, I told the lady that I was going to take my 9 year old and we are going to knock on every door in the hotel and go trick-or-treating until we find my parents. She told me she can't tell me the room they are staying in but if i were her and she was going trick-or-treating then she would start two doors to the left of our room. :S

MightyMouse

I will add.. The adjoining rooms have a door in the room with a lock on both sides, hence adjoining rooms. In my opinion they are not as nice as the standard room, but they do the trick. The difference being the entrance to the washroom area in a standard room is sectioned off by a playful decorative curtain. In the adjoining style room this curtain is replaced with a rather bland looking green door. Also in the standard room the wall safe is maybe five (?) feet off the ground, where in the adjoining style it was basically on the floor. I don't know if all the rooms are set up this way, but I thought I'd mention that as my elderly father with back issues had some trouble bending to the ground level to access the safe.

Overall this is a wonderful hotel. You will love it. Merry Xmas to you and your family.

daisyduckie

MightMouse--They can't tell you the room number of other people, even if they are traveling with you. I've had that same thing myself. And it is a security issue. She could have gotten in very big trouble by telling you, even in that roundabout way. Plus, that room could have easily ended up not their room. Any room is up for grabs until the guests show up to claim it. I had a trip with family where I was told my room number, and then it ended up changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom