Arrival of the Disney Magic into Port Canaveral has been delayed today (13 Feb 2010)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
DISNEY RELEASE:

Due to unfavorable weather conditions in the Bahamas, the arrival of the Disney Magic into Port Canaveral has been delayed today. We now anticipate beginning boarding of today's voyage later this evening.

We realize this delay in check-in and boarding is disappointing to you, and hope you understand these current weather conditions could not be helped.

We have arranged complimentary Theme Park admission at Epcot today for our embarking passengers. We invite you to visit the Disney Cruise Line Hospitality Desk at Epcot to receive admission tickets and meal gift card.

We sincerely regret the delay and appreciate your patience. Please call 1-800-939-2784 after 1 p.m. this afternoon for further updates.

cdunbar

DISNEY RELEASE:

Due to unfavorable weather conditions in the Bahamas, the arrival of the Disney Magic into Port Canaveral has been delayed today. We now anticipate beginning boarding of today's voyage later this evening.

We realize this delay in check-in and boarding is disappointing to you, and hope you understand these current weather conditions could not be helped.

We have arranged complimentary Theme Park admission at Epcot today for our embarking passengers. We invite you to visit the Disney Cruise Line Hospitality Desk at Epcot to receive admission tickets and meal gift card.

We sincerely regret the delay and appreciate your patience. Please call 1-800-939-2784 after 1 p.m. this afternoon for further updates.
Now maybe this is just me being dense, but why just Epcot?

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Update:

DISNEY INFO RELEASE:

Due to unfavorable weather conditions in the Bahamas, the arrival of the Disney Magic into Port Canaveral has been delayed today. We now do not anticipate boarding today's voyage until tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Now maybe this is just me being dense, but why just Epcot?
When they provide bus transportation from the parks to Cape Canaveral, they only leave from one park. When I did my cruise, we left from AK.

Interesting that it's now delayed to tomorrow... Wonder where everybody will sleep tonight?

Upvote 0

cdunbar

When they provide bus transportation from the parks to Cape Canaveral, they only leave from one park. When I did my cruise, we left from AK.

Interesting that it's now delayed to tomorrow... Wonder where everybody will sleep tonight?
Was getting ready to ask the same thing. I mean I would think they would arrange for hotels, being that the guests are not at fault, but well neither is disney.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Wal.../News/13Feb2010-Disney-Magic-delay-update.htm

UPDATE:

Due to unfavorable weather conditions in the Bahamas, the arrival of the Disney Magic into Port Canaveral continues to be delayed today. Disney anticipate this voyage boarding tomorrow.

A Disney Cruise Line Hospitality Desk is now open in the Wonders of Life pavilion at Epcot. This location will assist Guests that were supposed to be sailing today with their needs. There will be a children's area with Disney movies playing, snack area, and a place to drop off / store / pick up luggage that was diverted from being transported from the airport to Port Canaveral.

Guests arriving today that do not have a resort will be provided a room off property. These locations will be communicated to the guests at the DCL Hospitality Center at Epcot. Transportation from behind the Wonders pavilion to those hotels will be provided with departures tentatively scheduled for 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm and 10pm. Guests that are currently on property will be offered an extension at their current WDW Resort. For more information, DCL at 1-800-939-2784 for further updates.
The Disney Wonder remains scheduled to depart tomorrow.

Upvote 0

marypoppins68

I was at Epcot earllier today. As you walked up to the ticket booths they had signs directing the Cruise line guests to a Hospitality booth? or something near Guest Relations. The line was very long with people. I guess that's where the guests got their free tickets to enter Epcot. I was renewing my AP and asked the CM what was going on and he said the Magic hadnt made it into port and all those people who were supposed to be on the cruise were getting free tickets, food and hotel rooms. Epcot was already really busy today anyway. Lots of school groups down.

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Ummm - I didn't see any Hotel References? No, I'm not going on a cruise - just curious about what Disney's Plan is when this happens? They can't very well kick everyone out of their Hotel rooms, but they have NEW people showing up:shrug:

At the bottom of the article, there's a statement from Disney. The third paragraph from the bottom says, "Guests scheduled for today’s departure have the option of spending the day at Epcot, and we are working to find resort rooms to accommodate those guests tonight."

Upvote 0

susieqt83

Disney took very good care of the people who were "stranded" and supposed to leave today. This is from a person who was scheduled for the Magic 2/13 sailing. They got:

Free hotel stay Saturday either on or off Disney property, and a free day at Epcot for their entire party
$20 per person on board credit for the meal they would have gotten Saturday night. The credit can be used on the ship when they board.
$100 per stateroom on board credit
A 20 percent refund
Option to cancel cruise without penalty and with full refund

As far as the hotels go, if they were on Disney property the night before, their stay was extended at the same hotel. For those not staying at a Disney hotel, they were put up in one of 2 Omni hotels or the Caribe.

Word is that the Magic is back safely in Port Canaveral and they are working to get everyone off/on the ship as quickly as possible. And apparently the Magic and Wonder are both at Port Canaveral at the same time! Cool!

Upvote 0

cdunbar

Disney took very good care of the people who were "stranded" and supposed to leave today. This is from a person who was scheduled for the Magic 2/13 sailing. They got:

Free hotel stay Saturday either on or off Disney property, and a free day at Epcot for their entire party
$20 per person on board credit for the meal they would have gotten Saturday night. The credit can be used on the ship when they board.
$100 per stateroom on board credit
A 20 percent refund
Option to cancel cruise without penalty and with full refund

As far as the hotels go, if they were on Disney property the night before, their stay was extended at the same hotel. For those not staying at a Disney hotel, they were put up in one of 2 Omni hotels or the Caribe.

Word is that the Magic is back safely in Port Canaveral and they are working to get everyone off/on the ship as quickly as possible. And apparently the Magic and Wonder are both at Port Canaveral at the same time! Cool!
Does Disney have a dock for both of them at Canaveral?

Upvote 0

nybound

I can attest to the rough conditions out there on Saturday.

My family and I were on the Disney Wonder, and we spent Saturday at sea (which normally would have been a day at Castaway Cay). The ship was trying to stay directly into or against the wind to keep the ship stabilized. According to the ship report channel, we were in 8+ ft waves most of the day.

Once we turned for port, it made for some rough sailing.

Upvote 0

TinkerBelle8878

What then happens to the people checking into the resorts today? For the guests who have their resort stay extended? Either its not that busy
yet or they don't have that many guests that this would apply to.

Considering that alot of schools are off for Presidents Week and having been down there at this time other years (almost peak crowds), I'm going with the latter. Or there's going to be complaints on here soon about the people who are getting bumped out of their rooms.

Its a really cool consolation prize though since the first day on the ship usually just consists of getting to the boat, looking around and unpacking. I'd definitely prefer a day at Epcot knowing that they're providing a hotel, park tickets and meal vouchers for the trouble.

Upvote 0

HS0411

I can attest to the rough conditions out there on Saturday.

My family and I were on the Disney Wonder, and we spent Saturday at sea (which normally would have been a day at Castaway Cay). The ship was trying to stay directly into or against the wind to keep the ship stabilized. According to the ship report channel, we were in 8+ ft waves most of the day.

Once we turned for port, it made for some rough sailing.

Be grateful for your sea day. We docked several times, with high wind and rough seas at CC, and the only excursion that is open is the bike rentals!

The waters can be pretty rough sometimes. I loved walking down the hallways and watching the hallway turn sideways, but you never did. I remember getting 30ft+ waves, but we were able to get back to PC. But not without a million "protein spills." I was always grateful I didn't do housekeeping.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

What then happens to the people checking into the resorts today? For the guests who have their resort stay extended? Either its not that busy
yet or they don't have that many guests that this would apply to.

Considering that alot of schools are off for Presidents Week and having been down there at this time other years (almost peak crowds), I'm going with the latter. Or there's going to be complaints on here soon about the people who are getting bumped out of their rooms.

Its a really cool consolation prize though since the first day on the ship usually just consists of getting to the boat, looking around and unpacking. I'd definitely prefer a day at Epcot knowing that they're providing a hotel, park tickets and meal vouchers for the trouble.

I would assume that if they had the room the cruising people got to stay the extra night. If there was a case of the cruising people would be taking a room from someone arriving, then most likely they approached those people, told them the situation, and gave them lodging elsewhere.

While it is a great effort by Disney to make up for something that was not in their control, I would still miss the first day of the cruise. Now the second day is the first day, so it's still just "looking around"

-dave

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Be grateful for your sea day. We docked several times, with high wind and rough seas at CC, and the only excursion that is open is the bike rentals!

The waters can be pretty rough sometimes. I loved walking down the hallways and watching the hallway turn sideways, but you never did. I remember getting 30ft+ waves, but we were able to get back to PC. But not without a million "protein spills." I was always grateful I didn't do housekeeping.

When I was a kid, my family made a crossing from Nova Scotia to Main, and we caught the tail edge of a hurricane. The crossing was on an auto ferry. You went from Maine to NS at night and you had a stateroom. On the return trip they would clean the staterooms and all you had was what amounted to airline seats. You could walk around, there were deck chairs, there were slot machines, there was a restaurant etc.

When we caught the hurricane, I think my brother and I were the only passengers who remained standing. There were people laying everywhere. On stairs, next to the slots, in the middle of halls, just getting sick all over the place. My brother and I were out on the deck watching the chairs slide around in the wind and rain. I still have vivid (and fond) memories of that trip. It had to be about 25 years ago.

-dave

Upvote 0

HS0411

When I was a kid, my family made a crossing from Nova Scotia to Main, and we caught the tail edge of a hurricane. The crossing was on an auto ferry. You went from Maine to NS at night and you had a stateroom. On the return trip they would clean the staterooms and all you had was what amounted to airline seats. You could walk around, there were deck chairs, there were slot machines, there was a restaurant etc.

When we caught the hurricane, I think my brother and I were the only passengers who remained standing. There were people laying everywhere. On stairs, next to the slots, in the middle of halls, just getting sick all over the place. My brother and I were out on the deck watching the chairs slide around in the wind and rain. I still have vivid (and fond) memories of that trip. It had to be about 25 years ago.

-dave

Maybe I'm just twisted, but the rough sea nights were some of my favorite nights. I loved watching everything get thrown around too. The guests all went to bed early and then I could go to the crew bar and watch the waves crash into the Deck 1 windows. After a few drinks, the waves really didn't bother me!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom