Arrival day tips??

Laura Kelly

Original Poster
We're planning our first trip to DW for April of 2016, two adults, two kids (8 yr old, 4 yr old). We plan to check into our resort and unpack around 2:00 pm.
Where should we eat on our first day? Should we make ADRs for first day?? Also, what are the best character meals? I've overloaded our plans with table service meals and need to cut back!
Is it worth going to MK for just a few hours on that first day to eat and see the fireworks?
I want to start the first day off with a bang, but a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

DisneyPrincess5

Congrats on your trip!

Everyone does their arrival day differently. The way we do our first day is to kind of rest, relax, and recoup so our next day is more enjoyable.
One other reason we don't plan anything for the arrival day is because you never know what will happen. Will the flight be delayed? Will your transportation not go smoothly? You may not be able to check in as early as you had hoped. Yeah, I know there are a lot of "what ifs" but for us, it's less stressful to relax than watch the clock and freak out about not being in our room by 4pm if we have a 5pm ADR.

Just be prepared for plans to not go smoothly. But let's hope they do. The last thing you want for your very first Disney trip is to have an overwhelming, unhappy first day. Have a great trip and happy choosing.

DisneyPrincess5

So true! Thanks for the perspective :)
You're very welcome. We have done our Disney trips many different ways over time and have found that this is best for us and we eat dinner at our resorts quick service spot if we arrive before dinner time. But you may find it will work better for you if you make some plans.

Oh and welcomed to the boards!

erwinalber4

I like to arrive at the resort, unpack and hit the pool area for awhile. Then hit a nice table service (especially if I'm at a Deluxe or Moderate with one) and then head to the MK for the Electrical Parade and Wishes followed by a few attractions as I usually arrive on a late day for MK with EMH. Check the park times and determine which is best fit for you. Remember to relax you're on vacation and have fun!

Scott10

We always try to hit up a character meal at a resort (our girls love 1600 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian or Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary), let the kids look at things and plan what they might want to buy at Downtown Disney, and relax at the pool at our resort. This allows the Disney magic to begin while giving us a nice, slow pace and lets us hit the rack early to be rested for a great full day at the Magic Kingdom the following day!

SAV

Getting checked in at 2 gives you plenty of time to get to a park for the evening. But how late that evening is really depends on your kids. Not sure where you are coming from, but there will be the time change if you are not in the Eastern Time Zone. So that will allow your kids to go a little longer with 10 really being 9 or 8. It does make the next morning more difficult since you lose that hour. Personally, I would get your stuff in the room, get to a park and then unpack later that night when the kids are in bed. You never said if you were driving, rental car or DME. If you have a vehicle, then stop off-site and get something on the way(We usually stop at Jersey Mike's in Orlando). If you are taking DME, then eat some QS food at the park.

As for TS Character meals, each one will "cost" you about 2 hours of park time(give or take), so I definitely wouldn't do one that first night of arrival. You are going to want to explore the park not sit and eat. I haven't done that many, so I can't give you advice on which are the best.

Finally, With little kids, I always question starting out with MK. I don't know your kids, but will they be disappointed with the other parks in comparison to it? Will it not matter to them and they will love each park on its own? Maybe you start with the other parks and save MK for the 4th day? Something to think about since you are so far out.

lunchbox1175

Its different for everyone I guess. We always do AK on our first day, because it is the park we spend the least amount of time in, so we can usually do everything we want before it closes, then go to DTD for dinner and back to the resort fairly early to get the travel dust off and go to bed for a full next day.

HollyAD

We kinda take it easy the first day. We usually get settled in, freshen up, and head out for a nice dinner. We used to do Rainforest Cafe because the kids really liked it and it's a fun atmosphere. On our past trip we did Ranglan Road and it was an excellent experience. Since we don't hit the parks right away, we are rested and able to get up early and take advantage of extra magic hours the next morning. It also saves a day's ticket so we save a little money as well. A character dinner would also set the tone for a fun first vacation. I would suggest Chef Mickey's for a first timer's first day on vacation. The food is not great but it is fun for the whole family. You also can ride the monorail and explore the resorts that overlook the Magic Kingdom. To me, exploring is half the fun! Enjoy your trip!

75disney

We also like to take it slow that first day. Travel with kids can be exhausting so we don't like to push our kids. Plus you never know what type of travel delays you may experience. One trip we were supposed to arrive at the Poly at 4pm, but due to flight delays, we didn't arrive until 10pm with a tired and hungry 2 year old.
Now on our arrival day, we like to check into our room and explore the resort. Then we make an ADR for dinner around 6:30. When the kids were little, we always did a character meal as a way to start their vacation in an exciting way. Now that they are older, we always eat at O'hana. Then it is back to the room for bed so we can all be up first thing the next morning to hit the park at opening.
Good luck with your planning. Don't get overwhelmed. You have plenty of time to figure everything out.

bjlc57

there are some great points listed here.. TIME CHANGE.. wow.. 5 years ago, we went the first week of march.. and I live in the central time zone.. UUUUUGGGGHHH!!! so I lost an hour of sleep from the time zone switch and then an hour from Daylight savings time.. so.. instead of getting up at 630 am central time, it was 430 am from the week before.. this is so you can shower and eat and get to the park for when it opens.. ( which is vital to do the touring plans..).. so a year ago.. I said.. no.. we went and did our our side shopping for soda snacks, and gatoraide.. and we rested.. and I was ready to go the first morning.. ( at least mentally I was) ..my body has other ideas at age 57..

Mickey81

Honestly we do it different each time. We usually stay at POFQ, sometimes we just take the boat to DTD. Sometimes we go to a park. It all depends when we are getting in and what time of year we are going. I'm a lot more hesitant to make plans when we are going in January because of weather canceling or delaying flights. There's alot of variables. Personally I think it's better to just go do a little or hang out at the resort, get rest, and then get up early and hit rope drop the next morning.

Bugz

We Go to Animal Kingdom on first short day on arrival ,you can cover it in a half day, and it gets us in shape for the rest of the trip, Definitely full day for Magic Kingdom for sure dont want to short that park , its the best!!:happy:

Roakor

Depending on what time of the year your going, and if your staying onsite. MK could very well be open to 2am. so going in at 2pm would still give you plenty of time. And i actually recommend going in later and staying till the wee hours, especially if you are going in the summer. Its much cooler after dark and once the first parade and fireworks are over the park empties out.

Laura Kelly

Original Poster
Thanks for all your input!!
I guess what my concern is, do I have to make an ADR months in advance for that arrival day if we want a table service meal, or can we decide and make it once we get there?
We'll be using ME, and time change will be a factor. Not sure how energetic the kids will be after the flight.
My initial plan was to check in and get cleaned up. Go explore DTD, dinner at chef mickeys to set the tone and then find a place to see fireworks.
Not sure if that's too much for first night.

Mickey81

Depends where you want to dine, if you want to do chef Mickey's, then yes you would need an ADR. However there are a number of restaurants at Epcot, DTD or a resort you could probably get into with a little bit of a wait without a ADR.

habuma

We're planning our first trip to DW for April of 2016, two adults, two kids (8 yr old, 4 yr old). We plan to check into our resort and unpack around 2:00 pm.
Where should we eat on our first day? Should we make ADRs for first day?? Also, what are the best character meals? I've overloaded our plans with table service meals and need to cut back!
Is it worth going to MK for just a few hours on that first day to eat and see the fireworks?
I want to start the first day off with a bang, but a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

We've never done "first day" the same. The past couple of trips we've made an ADR for Whispering Canyon and then took it easy in the Magic Kingdom. But for our next trip we're talking about showing up a bit later in the day...late enough that it doesn't justify booking an ADR or going into the parks, but early enough that we can go see Yehaa Bob as the first thing we do in WDW. But there's no set formula here...Whatever works best for your family and your flight is best.

IMO, the best character meal (with emphasis on characters and not so much on the food) is dinner at 1900 Park Fare at GF. The food is good, but the characters are fantastic. The interactions with the Tremaine family are a riot. Past that, Chef Mickey's and Garden Grill are a couple of our favorites. And, although it's not really a character meal, 50's Prime Time is a blast.

As for your last question: It's *ALWAYS* worth going to the MK for a few hours to see the fireworks. But there are other things worth doing as well. Unless you plan to show up at the MK early enough to stake out a good spot for viewing the fireworks and don't mind waiting, then I'm not so sure it's worth going just for that. I might pick another night to catch the fireworks.

This year we are getting there around 10:30 at the airport, taking MDE to our hotel (FQ) so should be at the hotel around 11:30. We checked in online so if the room is ready drop off our carry on and stop at the pool for a cold beer. Then take the boat down to DTD and have lunch at EOS and do some shopping. Have the items we bought sent too our room. Then head over to play some minature golf at Fantasia. We alw Amy's play at least a round on the Course side of the place. Then we will walk over to Boardwalk and sit and watch the people while enjoying the local brews and have dinner at the Brewery. Then take the boat over to DHS and catch the bus back to FQ. Then ups ck and get a good night sleep for MK.

Laura Kelly

Original Poster
Could I use a fastpass to get into Chef mickeys if we decide last minute to go? Or fastpass to get a spot at Wishes? Sorry, I'm totally new at all of this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom