arrival date activities???

jasmine

Any suggestions on what to do on arrival date? We'll be getting in to the airport at 2:30 and will stay at the Wilderness Lodge. Should we try to go to a park, a show, hang at the pool? I have a 6 year old and 5 year old? We have never gone before. Thanks

ToTBellHop

well, if you have an Annual Pass, Seasonal Pass, or Unlimited Park Hopper Pass....sure...feel free to go to the Magic Kingdom that first afternoon and see the fireworks. If you have a Park Hopper or a Park Hopper Plus Pass, don't waste that day with a park day...go for a swim, scope out the hotel, and go to Downtown Disney. Might I recommend Cirque du Soleil if you've never seen it. You might also try DisneyQuest...which is kewl the first time you go...or you could eat at one of the many restaurants in the Downtown Disney District...I don't know what your budget is like...

Upvote 0

jackjenson

Beeline for the Magic Kingdom

Doggie is right in that it depends on what your park pass situation is like, but I would head over to the MK right away with kids that age, saving the unpacking for after fireworks. On one of my recent trips our arrival time was the same as yours and we did this. The added bonus is that it was drizzling and we rode every single ride we wanted to ride as a walk on from 5-8pm when we stopped to watch the fireworks.

By this I mean that my 5 year old got to do Buzz Lightyear 3 times, Dumbo, Tea Cups, Indy 500, Peter Pan (we fastpassed this one, probably b/c the line is mostly under cover and it was crowded) Pooh, the carousel 2 times, small world and haunted mansion all before the fireworks started. It was a fantastic start to a fantastic vacation. And my son got his bearings and his first taste of magic right away.

Have a great time.

Upvote 0

2much2do

Something we like to do is go to Epcot and see Illuminations. Epcot is open later then the other parks most night, and they always have Illuminations at 9. Also, there are tons of wonderful restaurants for dinner. I like to go to Mexico, grab a lake front table at the Cantina de San Angel and get some dinner. Since you won't have much else to do, you can stake out a good table, and stay put. I like it because then on the day I go back to Epcot (there is always at least one day devoted to each park, usually two not counting my day of arrival) I don't have to waste an hour or more saving my Illuminations spot, unless we all want to see it up close again. It also gets the kids excited to go back to Epcot, which often kids don't put on the top of their to-do lists.

Another idea is if MK is open late that day, go there and ride some of the popular rides. Since you will be going in the evening, it may not be as crowded (although if it is, the fastpasses will most definitly have been sold out already). If they are showing Spectromagic, you could do the same as Illuminations and stake out a good spot on the curb early on and save it with no anxiety about wasting touring time.

Same goes for Fantasmic. Actually, you could go to MGM for dinner and then go wait for Fantasmic. Good seats usually require over an hour wait.

I am sure you will have fun no matter what you decide to do, even if it is just going to the pool.

Upvote 0

jasmine

Original Poster
Thanks so much. I really was feeling so overwhelmed and confused. We've never taken the kids on vacation and I do want this to be magical because I don't know when we'll get to go back. At least I know now how to begin. One more thing, has anyone ever followed those touring plans from the guide books. any suggestions are really welcome. We leave tomorrow!!

Upvote 0

AJAX

Jasmine-
Check in, dump your gear, and head for the MK! When you pass under the train trestle, everybody hold hands and run through the square to the foot of Main St, then stop to gaze at the Castle and enjoy a hug with your family.
We've been doing that with our daughter since she was four, and we'll do it again in December, when she'll be twenty!

We know the MK very well, so we don't use the guidebook any longer. But when we first started, we used a Birnbaum guide and found it very valuable.

Enjoy! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

If you don't have the Everything you want except Mickey to tuck you in at night pass then I say chill out and explore the hotel. Maybe hop the boat to the Polynesian and riding the monorail and then catching dinner at Ohana's. They have some great games for kids there.

Upvote 0

no2apprentice

Since you are taking two children, four and five, you may want to take a look at the "Unofficial Guide Book to WDW". They even make a seperate book just for taking kids (the first book mentioned also addresses taking children). There are some people (especially on WDWMAGIC.COM) who do not care for the Unofficial guide books. You need to ask yourself: what are your goals? If you want your children to see as much as possible within the time you'll be there, it's best to use a plan (any plan). Do you want to avoid waiting in lines 1 to 1 1/2 hours? Then your best bet is to follow a plan from any of the guidebooks, and use FASTPASS when appropriate. Any plan you decide to follow is only a suggestion for where and when to go next; don't be afraid to alter the plan to fit your family's needs.

I would agree that if your passes allow it, go to MK on the day you arrive. Hit Mickey's Toontown Fair and meet the characters, so your kids can start on autographs and you can start on photos. Take in some of the kid rides, and this will get them started right. This will also help when you go back to MK for a full day, your kids won't feel the pull of Toontown and you can get on some of the more popular rides before the lines get too long.

I don't know if you are aware of this, but I wish I knew this the first time I took my kids to WDW. If your kids spot a souvenir that they want, and it's in a park and the item is themed to a ride or attraction, get it there (providing you were going to get them something anyway). Many items are not carried outside of the parks, not even at Downtown Disney.

Are your kids picky eaters? You can get good ideas on what the restaurants serve at WWW.WDWIG.COM. It has a great listing of menus for WDW. This will help with any planning.

Use the search feature on this forum to look up any info. You will be amazed how much information is hidden in these threads.

Hope my jibber-jabber helps. Have a wonderful time. Try to post some good pictures of your kids when you get back!

Upvote 0

AJAX

Very good advice, No2. I wish this site and people like you were around 16 years ago. Our first trip as a family, we had rooms booked at the old Viscount, (now the Travel Lodge I think), and winged it from there. Still, we had a wonderful time.

Upvote 0

LoriL

Jasmine: If you are still checking this site, then you may also want to make a reservation for the Hoop De Doo Revue for the night you arrive-- the first show starts at 5. That would give you a few minutes to unpack, explore your hotel, and then go to the dinner show without having to leave your hotel the first night. I don't know how you are getting to WDW, but if you are flying in, then you will probably already be exhausted by the time you get there. Unwinding at your hotel plus the dinner show might be the best way to relax and then you can plan the next day that evening in your room.

The touring plans do work, but they work best for families with older kids, or for adults. Young kids have too many incidental things that happen (they may want to ride the same attraction three times in a row or spend the afternoon swimming in the pool) to make the plans feasible.

Our first day we plan to explore the hotel, maybe go to the pool, and have a fun dinner at Chef Mickey's (we are staying at the Polynesian). I personally think it's better to ease your kids into Disney, rather than overwhelming them with the MK all at once the very first day (especially after a day of travel!). Just my two cents. There is also a campfire at the Wilderness Campgrounds that you can go to, followed by a Disney movie shown outdoors. I don't know if Mickey's Backyard Barbecue is running at this time of year, but that is agood way to introduce your kids to the characters at your hotel. And lastly, Wilderness Lodge also offers pony rides, which is also a fun activity for a partial day. have fun! And don't forget to take a rest every afternoon so that you don't wear out!!

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

A five o'clock Hoop De Doo might be cutting it close...I mean, if your plane is supposed to be landing at 2:30, you have to plan for any problems that might occur. When we arrived at MCO this year, they had lost one of our bags...luckily they found it, but we were stuck at baggage claim for an hour. It took us about two hours from when we landed to reach our resort...then we had to check in...and it would take a while to get to Fort Wilderness...not saying this happens with everyone, but it is always a possibility...

Upvote 0

Coronado

Take ... A ... Break! Look around the Wilderness Lodge.......go watch the Old Facefull Geiser.... Take A boat trip to the entrance of MK....don't go in....Hop on the Monorail... check out Contemporary....(Chef Mickeys is great food and characters).... Check out the other two resorts.....go to the top of contemporary and watch the fireworks....take the boat back to WL and go to bed early!.... A great time without using one of the days on the Hopper ticket.....PS You can't even check in until 4:00 PM so go do the freebies.....doing Disney is not a sprint....relax, take lots of pictures. It's not what you get done at Disney that you will remember... It is who you do it with.:animwink:

Attachments

• donald04.gif
    donald04.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0

figmentmom

I agree with just about everybody else - dump the gear, and head for the parks if your pass allows (if it's a limited-number-of-days pass, don't burn up a whole days' worth on one evening).

If I didn't have a pass with unlimited days available, I'd still dump the gear, and head for the hotel pool. Your kids will enjoy that as much as anything else, especially if you've been up since the crack of dawn traveling. Then I'd head for Downtown Disney - just walking around the place has that WDW vacation feel! You might try the Rain Forest Cafe for an early dinner, too. It's great fun for kids.

Upvote 0

madhatter

ride the water mouses(small bspeeb boats)!!! they're sooo much fun and it will be a great way to blow off some steam after a long plane or car ride, the whole family will love it:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Cindy Rella

I agree with Coronado - take a break after traveling!

After a flight and the related travel time/hassles/waiting the kids will need to unwind and blow off steam.

I wouldn't overwhelm them at a park at first. My kids (6,7) were really so happy to check out the hotel grounds and pool, then we headed to Downtown Disney and later just rode the monorail in the evening (ask to ride with the driver in the first car) to check out the castle and golf ball lit at night. It really was magical for all of us and got us excited for a big day at the parks the next morning. We all were able to get a good nights sleep and wake up early feeling fresh.

We used the Unofficail guide for best time to do rides and ratings for rides that were new and found it very helpful.

Have fun!:cool:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom