Arrested Development - Our August 2010 Trip Report

Arrested Development, or “There’s other places to go on vacation that aren’t Disney World?!”

“And now the story of a Disney-jaded family, who lost their minds, and the one guy who had no choice but to keep it all together. It’s Arrested Development.”

August 21, 2008- The SeaCastle clan arrives at Orlando International Airport a day after they were supposed to be in WDW, and a bit concerned about Tropical Storm Fay, which had delayed them. Rain clouds populated the horizon, as they cast a decidedly ominous light upon the greater Orlando area. But the rain did not stop this family, who pressed on through the next five days of park hopping (whilst donning ponchos) to enjoy the shows and attractions that WDW has to offer. Later that week, they tentatively decide to return to this magical place in two years, a year after their long-planned trip to San Diego and the Disneyland Resort.

August 12, 2010- The day has come. Years of excitement, planning, and stalking Disney fan sites has culminated into this seemingly uneventful day. The sky was dark as it would be any morning at four AM, the time we awoke from our short slumber to head to the airport. As citizens of central Jersey, we drove down to drop two of our three dogs off at our family’s house, who conveniently lives within five minutes of Atlantic City International Airport. (This saves money on boarding our dogs, and Spirit Airlines has relatively cheap flights going to Orlando. For those wondering, we have an elkhound and two Malamutes.)

IMG_6588.jpg

Preparing to take-off

We skipped breakfast and gathered all of our items and drove to the airport- sleepy but filled with nervous excitement. This time, there was no hurricane to impede our forward motion. It was still dark and damp by the time we reached the airport, and we waited in a typically desolate terminal for our 6:30AM flight to Orlando. We boarded our flight without a hitch, and after an uneventful flight (I was reading Andrew Sorkin’s book, Too Big to Fail – an excellent book about the credit crisis) we had landed in Orlando.

IMG_6593.jpg

En route

We got out of the plane and headed to the airport Starbucks. We were still quite hungry, so we bought frapuccinos to tide ourselves over. Following that, is was an easy trip downstairs to the Magical Express desk. I never have a problem finding the place, yet apparently one of my family members was lost for a long time trying to find it. Anyone have a similar problem?

IMG_6599.jpg

A bit of time later, we were on the bus and off to the world of Disney. The Magical Express seemed less magical this time around, but maybe because I was a bit pre-occupied on my phone for the trip. Internet phones are a blessing and a curse…in those forty minute lines they’re a lifesaver, but they detract from the experience a bit. After dropping guests off at Pop Century and Caribbean Beach, it was time for the Animal Kingdom Lodge…and wow! This place was beautiful. It was alive with the sound of drumming and tribal-type music and friendly cast members. The smell from Boma and Jiko wafted up from the floors below, filling the lobby with an aroma of good times awaiting us. We checked our carry-on bags in (our luggage had not yet arrived), and after meeting with the concierge discussing our reservations and such, it was off to our first park- Disney’s Hollywood Studios. We had originally planned on going to EPCOT all day, but since my tripod was in the luggage and I needed it for filming Reflections of Earth later that night, we decided to split our day.

--

The disadvantage of staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge is that bus transportation is required to go anywhere. We’ve been spoiled by staying at such transportation-friendly resorts like the Beach Club and Polynesian, so this was a whole new thing for us. That said, it makes more sense why the Animal Kingdom Lodge (and to an extent, the Wilderness Lodge) is priced cheaper than normal deluxes, as most of the other deluxes have some sort of alternative transportation to at least one park. (The Wilderness Lodge has boat transportation to the Magic Kingdom.) The AKL has buses running quasi-regularly, showing up every 10-20 minutes or so. Even if it takes around 40 minutes between the time we leave our hotel room to the time we step through the gates, I cannot blame the transportation for being consistent.

To be honest, I was a bit anxious about going into the theme parks. Over the past two years, I learned a lot about the parks and their operation, and, most importantly, Team Disney Orlando and their cost-cutting measures on the park. My eye became trained to look for things that were wrong…chipped paint, burnt-out lightbulbs, and the like. For this reason, I thought I would be disappointed by what I saw at Disney World. Fortunately, my eye was also trained to other details, like lamps, benches, fountains, and everything in between. Coupled, this left me unsure what to expect when I entered Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

First off, this place was packed! One of my family members purchased the “Mobile Magic” app to use during our visit; it includes updated attraction times. On the bus all of the major attractions had long waits (anything above 40 minutes is not worth waiting for, in most cases). So we decided to head on over to Min and Bill’s Dockside Diner for some much-needed grub.

IMG_6688.jpg

Min and Bill's

IMG_6665.jpg

Gotta love a good Citizen Kane reference

We all wound up getting stuffed pretzels (no pictures here, unfortunately) and we headed out to check Toy Story Midway Mania and One Man’s Dream – both due for closure during the week we visited. Of course, TSM had a horridly long line (one not worth waiting for such a minimalist attraction…there, I said it! :lookaroun) so we decided to walk through One Man’s Dream. I found it surprising my family enjoyed it, as they are nowhere near enjoy Disney as much as I do, but it was a pleasant surprise no less. After that was the Backlot Tour. Yes, it is a pathetic shadow of its previous incarnation, but we always find ourselves enjoying it. I will be sad to see this go; hopefully they work Catastrophe Canyon into whatever they’re planning there. We then proceeded to experience Muppet Vision 3-D. I still find my family enjoying this…and myself included. There’s so many puns and visual gags that it really becomes a treat for the eyes.

IMG_6888.jpg

After getting settled, it was off to EPCOT. This marked the first time we had ever arrived at EPCOT via bus, and it was an odd experience (and a much longer walk!). As always, the walk to Spaceship Earth is a visual masterpiece, as Spaceship Earth is so simplistically beautiful and unprecedented, that it leaves an aura of awe surrounding the area.

IMG_6961.jpg

We skipped the formalities and attractions and instead headed straight to the San Angel Inn, a SeaCastle clan favorite. We always eat here on our trips, as we find the food and the décor perfect. It’s WED at its best- a totally immersive environment in which you feel like you’re part of the show. The marketplace has a fountain focal point, and people are all over the place having a good time in the shops and in the restaurant. A volcano spews ash into a night sky, and lights dangle from overhead, simulating a Mexican marketplace along the riverside at nighttime. Boats silently drift past the temple and the diners as they embark on their adventure into Mexico. A mariachi band drifts throughout the pavilion, and when they’re not playing, fitting background music is piped in. It’s a sensory delight.

IMG_7004-2.jpg

After San Angel Inn, we decided to hit up Soarin. The line was a solid 40 minutes, and figuring this is the best wait time we’ll get, we decided to go for it. The wait wasn’t nearly that bad, but the queue is misleading- everytime you turn the corner it’s another 20 minute wait. We rode Soarin’, which no matter how many times you ride it, is great. It’s not as immersive as your normal E-ticket, but you cannot beat the experience of Soarin’ over California. Following that, it was off to the Seas with Nemo and Friends, which was an easy choice considering the five minute wait. I was never a fan of the attraction, but after riding it this time around, I enjoyed it more. The queue is especially delightful and really makes you feel like you’re at some beach.

IMG_7049.jpg

Test Track was next up on the hit parade, with plans to watch IllumiNations following that. Unfortunately, the queue for Test Track was longer than planned, but Test Track at night is much different than in the day. Our family loves Test Track. The theme/backstory of the attraction is great, and the ride is just plain fun. Nothing beats the excitement of narrowly missing Ronald Reagan driving a truck and nearly bursting through the crash barrier. As we got off the ride, the fireworks had just started, so we decided to end our day there. Leaving before IllumiNations meant we got to beat the hordes rushing to their respective busses. Next thing you know, we’re back at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, getting ready for our next day.

So ends our first day in the parks…tomorrow is off to the kingdom of animals and magic!

(Still working on pictures...)

SeaCastle

Original Poster
We decided to sleep in again for this morning, thus we didn’t get to the Magic Kingdom until around noon. The first attraction we tried was the Walt Disney World Railroad, which we took for a scenic tour around the Magic Kingdom. We disembarked at the Toontown Fair exit, and sauntered over to Tomorrowland to check out the line for Space Mountain, and typically, we balked. Instead, we decided to check out the Carousel of Progress, a perennial favorite. Following that was another SeaCastle-family favorite: the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. We noticed the skies had taken on a dark and foreboding color.

IMG_7932 by EchoLakeSC, on Flickr

IMG_7945 by EchoLakeSC, on Flickr

We then figured the best thing to do was to get in line for the Indy Speedway (?!) which thankfully had to close due to inclement weather in the area. Instead, we ducked into the Merchant of Venus shop, and next thing you know, it had started to rain while we were in the limbo-zone between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. We ran for cover underneath the Enchanted Grove building, and were joined by a dozen soaking-wet tourists within minutes.

IMG_7948 by EchoLakeSC, on Flickr

IMG_7955 by EchoLakeSC, on Flickr

IMG_7959 by EchoLakeSC, on Flickr

Apparently, maintenance in this forgotten quarter of the Magic Kingdom is very minimal. As seen in the pictures above, there was a leaky gutter, and another one was spewing water. Regardless, the mood among the wet tourists was jovial. After about 45 minutes, the rain had mostly abated. I had wanted to ride Dumbo to get a good overview of the Fantasyland expansion, and did so following a bit of a wait (I was among the first in line). Next up was our long-awaited ride on the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway, where I learned that my driving skills were not as great as I had remembered them being. I guess that’s what you get for being in Disney World for too long!

IMG_7971 by EchoLakeSC, on Flickr

We then decided to ditch the Magic Kingdom and carry on with the rest of our day. We exited via the Rose Garden, one of my favorite areas of the Magic Kingdom, and one of the remaining areas with a plentitude of flowers.

IMG_7997 by EchoLakeSC, on Flickr

We were under the impression this was to be our last day in the Magic Kingdom, but I had a premonition that this would not be the case, at least for me. But more on that later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom