Ariel's new look!

asianway

I thought in the first picture that the sheer sleeves did not match at all. But the daylight pictures look better. Maybe it was the lighting.

I'm underwhelmed by the hair. Ariel is supposed to have gigantic, swept-over Princess Di bangs. I think her bangs in the film are bigger than her face. They can't be duplicated in a real world situation, thus the starfish. I am going to miss the starfish.

I always wonder if being a friend of Grotto Ariel is like a promotion over being a friend of say, Veranda or Akershus Ariel. Because Grotto Ariel's characterization is always perfection. Characterization is everything. Friends of Princess Tiana are also consistently amazing. (I take my daughter to lots and lots of princesses...)

I am not a DL person but I don't think the interest in Spieling's wedding is stalkerish. How often do Peter and Wendy get married? It's adorableness.
Fins or dress, it's the same role

Neph-Neph

9888143173_bae13c7e25_c.jpg

OMG! Those shoes! LOVE.

DJMoore2011

I know what you mean.

Before I had kids, I took The Little Mermaid at face value. After I had kids (daughters) I started watching it with them and my entire prespective changed. How great is it that Ariel thinks that on the surface they don't reprimand their daughters? HA!

For one, she's 16. Presumably she was 16 on the wedding day, but maybe time passed. Maybe they had a long engagement and Ariel was actually 18 on her wedding day. I keep telling myself that.

But then look at the deal she made with Ursula. It's the worst deal ever. She has three days to make a complete stranger - royalty, no less - fall in love with her. That's a tall order in and of itself. There's no guarantee she'll even see Prince Eric in three days. What if he went out to sea? She'd be screwed.

If she fails, she belongs to Ursula. Which, judging by all the creepy unfortunate souls living in torment all around the entrance to Ursula's cave, that can't be a good thing. Ariel swam right past them. Everything about that swim says, "Get the hell out of here!" There are warning signs everywhere that this lady is not on the up-and-up.

But even if she succeeds, she will become human and never see her family again. She will never see the single dad who raised her or any of her six sisters again. She's going to disappear from her large family without explanation or even a goodbye.

Not to mention she knows nothing about the surface world. It's like an alien planet to her. She's giving up her culture, her family, her entire world, everything she has ever known (for all of her 16 years) for a crush on some sailor prince she has never spoken to!

That alone would be a terrible, terrible bargain. But then she gives up her voice as payment. And nowhere in the deal does it state that Ariel would get her voice back even if she holds up her end. Her voice was payment. She only got it back because the container holding it cracked. Had the deal gone according to plan, Ariel would have lived as a mute for the rest of her life.

And then, Ariel never once writes a message to Eric stating that she is the girl who saved his life. How hard is it to explain that you used to be able to sing but now you have lost your voice? I'm going to assume that the mer-alphabet is completely different from ours. Because otherwise, Ariel is just too stupid to live.

When I watch the Little Mermaid now, I am horrified by all of the terrible decisions Ariel (and Sebastian whi is really no better) make. All the sudden, I'm siding with King Triton up until he goes soft at the end.

If you don't like the story now, I would hate to see your response to how the Original Story Ends.

lebeau

Speaking of, you might want to keep them away from the original versions of The Jungle Book, Bambi, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Not hard to do at all. Heck, they won't even watch the Disney versions of the last two. And haven't watched JB in several years.

But Ariel is the center of my youngest daughter's universe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom