Are you a traitor (Disney World vs Disneyland)?

Disneyland or Disneyworld?

• Disneyland

Votes: 55 67.1%
  • Disneyworld

Votes: 27 32.9%

• Total voters

BasiltheBatLord

They scratch different itches. WDW, with its 25,000 acres accomplishes the feeling of literally being transported to an entirely different world really well (beyond just being in the parks, the entire experience from arrival to departure feels you're not even in the same world). The sheer scale and quantity of things at WDW (4 parks, 2 waterparks, a bigger Downtown Disney, god knows how many hotels, mini-golf etc.) really helps nail that home.

But saying WDW is "better" than DL because of that is meaningless because WDW was purpose-built to be that way, where DL focuses much more on the smaller charm of the parks.

IIRC Tony Baxter (maybe it was another Imagineer, I don't really remember) said that the primary essence of WDW is "scale" where DL's is "charm" and I think that sums it up really well.

Rich T

For me, it about the quality of the parks themselves. DL is the best U.S. Disney park. It's got more of everything I love about Disney; more dark rides, more charm, more detail, more history and the full, un-abbreviated Pirates of the Caribbean.

I love walking everywhere and requiring no transportation at DLR. I love not having to make reservations.... at all. I love the casualness and the party atmosphere of DLR. And even though DCA needs a lot of work, it's still an incredibly fun park with plenty of rides.

Crowds are not a problem. The solution is easy: GET UP EARLY AND ROPE DROP. People who refuse to do that deserve what they get. :D

WDW is a fantastic resort with a wealth of varied experiences. DL has more rides in a more convenient package. As a Californian, I love that DL is a quick weekend hop for a blast of fun without much advance planning.

PiratesMansion

I'm a "traitor" of a different sort, in that WDW is the default and only Disney resort for most people in the Chicago area, but I strongly prefer Disneyland.

Yeah, WDW has more, but DL has better versions of most of the rides I care about, the heat is better, it's more relaxing, and everything is walkable. And ultimately I'd rather deal with overly packed midways than overly packed queues, as generally speaking the wait for (in many cases) the worse version of the ride in Florida is about double that of the superior CA rides. Right now, doing WDW feels like work with all the crowds, queues, regimentation, continually shrinking hours and staffing budgets, etc. I can't say the same about DL.

mickEblu

For me, it about the quality of the parks themselves. DL is the best U.S. Disney park. It's got more of everything I love about Disney; more dark rides, more charm, more detail, more history and the full, un-abbreviated Pirates of the Caribbean.

I love walking everywhere and requiring no transportation at DLR. I love not having to make reservations.... at all. I love the casualness and the party atmosphere of DLR. And even though DCA needs a lot of work, it's still an incredibly fun park with plenty of rides.

Crowds are not a problem. The solution is easy: GET UP EARLY AND ROPE DROP. People who refuse to do that deserve what they get. :D

WDW is a fantastic resort with a wealth of varied experiences. DL has more rides in a more convenient package. As a Californian, I love that DL is a quick weekend hop for a blast of fun without much advance planning.

Agree with everything except that crowds are not a problem. Rope drop definitely helps with ride count but it doesn’t make your day any better if you still have to have a plan of attack just to cross Main Street without getting mowed down

Californian Elitist

I’ve never been to WDW, but I couldn’t care less about the other offerings. When I plan my trip, my focus will be on the parks and the parks only. I’m not picky when it comes to food.

My favorite thing about Disneyland is its rich history. It’s the only park Walt Disney had a hand in, oversaw, and visited. No other Disney park has that aspect going for itself, so I doubt I would prefer any of the others. Would I still have a great time? Absolutely.

Kiwiduck

I grew up travelling to Disneyland from New Zealand and don't think I even knew that WDW existed until I was in my 20s. Now that I have been to WDW I love it more each time I go. I enjoy the whole package of a Disney World vacation; the resorts, multiple parks, transportation, magic bands, Disney Springs and just that feeling of being completely seperate from the everyday world. Having said that Disneyland is still my favourite park, nothing even comes close.

BubbaQuest

I always assumed I would enjoy WDW more because there was so much more to do. However once I finally went, I was disappointed. Everything was so spread out, it felt more like visiting a city mall than a resort. I like the all-in-one closeness of DLR better.

BrianLo

I think if WDW had some more consistent upkeep and investment throughout the 2000’s this would be a different discussion.

But I actually think circa 90’s it was the better resort, it just degraded.

If Future World at Epcot was starting off in a better place with investment largely focused at World Showcase for new attractions and even countries... if DHS had maintained GMR and kept a little more budget for the shows and a third phase. If Skyliner was already a twinkle in our eye and the new multi modal transport was going toward Animal Kingdom. If the laughable parade count actually wasn’t so laughable.

It’s allowed to function on the back of one weaker park, but you can’t really have two of them. It is actually, despite what people say, on a real positive trajectory. Disney Springs is actually great. The Skyliner is a proper resort investment. Animal Kingdom is the best non-castle park not called Disney Sea.

If WDW carries through with another massive wave like it’s getting, we may finally be able to change the discussion. But until we can stop actually arguing that both resorts have a similar number of rides, that’s going to be the sticking point.

dontknow

WDW and DL Each place is uniquely different and there's much to be enjoyed in both. Personally, it is far from being a "no-brainer".

Going back to WDW this year, but next time it will be back to DisneyLand.

Opinion is food is WAY better in DisneyLand. Getting around is much easier on DisneyLand as well due to size.

Sure, there are more activities and such in WDW, but to discount one over the other is a mistake and a missed opportunity.

Damon7777

Weather, Humidity, stuck in the middle of nowhere, Studios Park, Alligators

1) I'm only giving you one complaint, not two, because 'weather' and 'humidity' are in the same category. But ya, WDW weather is pretty lousy.

2) Orlando is not a 'nowhere' and Lake Buena Vista is just outside of Orlando ......so I can't give you that one. Now if this were Hays, KS, then I could see your point.

3) alligators fascinate and interest; hence, there is an entire park in Orlando, Everglades boat rides and a major university mascot.

4) Studios Park is a very poor overall theme and currently the park is one super weak chain link. Yes, I agree with you.

Damon7777

Disney World has so many more offerings and is so well spaced out that crowds never feel heavy, even during the holiday season.

Crowds 'never feel heavy'?!?!
Never? MK on select days closes gates due to crowding. Even on the much wider walkways(as compared to DL) at the 4 WDW parks traffic can become exceedingly thick many, many times over throughout the year.

Californian Elitist

Agree with everything except that crowds are not a problem. Rope drop definitely helps with ride count but it doesn’t make your day any better if you still have to have a plan of attack just to cross Main Street without getting mowed down

I have to agree, sadly. Crowds have become insane over the past few years and will only get worse after that dang Star Wars corner opens up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom